Courses with Tees that have different SI's.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As WHS Appendix E appears to have changed the emphasis of SI Allocation to one that much more closely follows the hole's relative difficulty I'd be interested to learn......
1. How many Clubs are reviewing their SI's (Had a brief mention of this on another thread)
2. Is anyone looking at having separate SI's for different tees?
3. Have any Clubs already got separate SI's?

Also if you do have separate SI's for different men's rated tees what happens in Mixed Tee Comps? I guess you would simply use that tees SIs as already happens in mixed gender Comps.
Is this (more mixed tee play) why the emphasis on SI allocation is now recommended more strictly on the lines of hole-difficulty?

Following the increased number of tees rated for male & female are there many Clubs that have found it necessary, space-wise on the card, to have separate cards for male & female?

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
some of our holes have different SI, depending on the tees used, we are measured for white, yellow and red tees, and also for the 'grange' course, which is a mixture of white, yellow, red and a blue tee

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems like ridiculous overkill for something that's often guesswork, and not really that important anyway.
It's hardly 'guess work' as we've got all the info for all h/caps from each tee.

I still hate that SI’s are spread around. The hardest hole should be SI 1 and the easiest SI 18

Bloody madness that it isn’t that way. I want a shot on holes that are actually hard not because some blooming book needs it to be half and half.

Yeah, I get you with that & it seems that WHS with their Slope rating being a result of how hard for a Scratch golfer compared to a Bogey one have taken that same thinking to the suggestions for SI's.
Ranking according to the Scratch-value of a hole (based on the last year's rounds) + Bogey-value MINUS (2xPar).
For ourselves it certainly produced info that can not be ignored if we are to fully embrace WHS thinking & satisfy a lot of queries we've had from members about the current allocation, though at the same time is already meeting some resistance from the 'established' folk.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
some of our holes have different SI, depending on the tees used, we are measured for white, yellow and red tees, and also for the 'grange' course, which is a mixture of white, yellow, red and a blue tee
So, whats your card look like? Any chance you can stick an image on here please or PM me?

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, whats your card look like? Any chance you can stick an image on here please or PM me?

I don't have a card to hand, we have a separate card for the 'grange' course. we are a par 72 but have also been measured for a par 70, which is just one set of SI, due to the mixture of tees used during the round.
I'll try and remember to go get one when I can get in, as the course is currently behind locked gates

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Our yellows and white tees are all the same indexes. There is some variation for the red tees.....in fact looking at the card only 4 tees have the same indexes.

We have no plans to review our indexes as we have a couple of years of course reconstruction planned (assuming we can get planning permission) and to review SI's now would be pointless.

Putting the red (ladies) tees aside and having a think about the differences between the white and the yellow tees I couldn't really justify any holes having different SI's.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't have a card to hand, we have a separate card for the 'grange' course. we are a par 72 but have also been measured for a par 70, which is just one set of SI, due to the mixture of tees used during the round.
I'll try and remember to go get one when I can get in, as the course is currently behind locked gates
Just wondering.... is there one on your Club wed-site? Are men & ladies tees on the same card?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure if we are strange but we have 4 tees for each of our 3 9 hole courses. All have the same par and SI even though there is over 1500 yards difference between the shortest red tees and longest blue tees in our usual 18 hole combination.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure if we are strange but we have 4 tees for each of our 3 9 hole courses. All have the same par and SI even though there is over 1500 yards difference between the shortest red tees and longest blue tees in our usual 18 hole combination.
Whilst I don't think the overall course length would necessarily be a cause for differing SI's I'd be very surprised if there's not a great variation across the tees.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As WHS Appendix E appears to have changed the emphasis of SI Allocation to one that much more closely follows the hole's relative difficulty I'd be interested to learn......
1. How many Clubs are reviewing their SI's (Had a brief mention of this on another thread)
2. Is anyone looking at having separate SI's for different tees?
3. Have any Clubs already got separate SI's?

Also if you do have separate SI's for different men's rated tees what happens in Mixed Tee Comps? I guess you would simply use that tees SIs as already happens in mixed gender Comps.
Is this (more mixed tee play) why the emphasis on SI allocation is now recommended more strictly on the lines of hole-difficulty?

Following the increased number of tees rated for male & female are there many Clubs that have found it necessary, space-wise on the card, to have separate cards for male & female?
Our men's and ladies' SIs are different and we have separate cards. No plans to change in the near future as we had a major reprint earlier in the year because of rewording Local Rules.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our men's and ladies' SIs are different and we have separate cards. No plans to change in the near future as we had a major reprint earlier in the year because of rewording Local Rules.
As more tees get rated I guess a card for each gender is the most straightforward way to go.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1. Not us

2. Not us

3.. No difference between white and yellow but red are different. SIs are based upon white medal scores

In mixed comps choice of which S.I is dependent on the type of competition.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Whilst I don't think the overall course length would necessarily be a cause for differing SI's I'd be very surprised if there's not a great variation across the tees.
Nope - our SI 1 is 455 yds from the blue tees and 358 from the red tees. all holes have same SI regardless of tees.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have different SIs across the three sets of tees.

View attachment 34799
It's a nice clear card, thanks.
Interesting that the men have followed the convention of odd numbers on the longest 9 whereas the ladies have mixed them all up...... any reason that you know of?
I see your Par 3 16th presents the same problem as we have... yours 40yds longer off whites... ours @ 232yds is 50 yds longer than yellows.