Courses that grow on you.

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

Do you have a course that 'grows' on you? One that didn't really impress the first time but you have grown to appreciate it more each time you play it?

D

Deleted member 16999

Seaton Carew for me, part of the reason is the 22 holes, 5 different courses in the one.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bawburgh Glen Lodge in Norfolk. Used to see it as just another course, but played it recently and aside from 2 holes (3&4) I really enjoyed the whole course!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
two for me would be Castle Stuart and my home track.

First time i played CS, i thought it was a poor American version of a links course.. i was then lucky enough to get to play it quite a lot over the next few years and the more i played it the better i thought it was. Though its still not a track i would want to play every day for the rest of my life.

The first time i played Nairn was with my NND in 2006 and i didn't enjoy it one bit, i was in every bunker and the greens were way too fast for my weak putting at that time. I think i was off 11 or 12 at the time. he asked me if i wanted to join and a i said "no thanks" played again a few times the next year and then i got it. its a course you can play every day for the rest of my life and never get bored, its the one common denominator for most of its members and the reason people retire there.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
PGA Course at Gleneagles.

Still don't think its a great finish and the front 9 is better than the back 9 but it is a great test of golf. Some very nice golf holes.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My old club Baildon. Hated it when I first played it, so difficult being a moor land course but played it again and then joined on a cheap deal and absolutely love it now - even though I'm no longer a member. Think if you play a course during different periods of the year too you see the course in a different light.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I retired and joined Hever I certainly thought it a good track, but was influenced by the range at the first tee, the additional 9 holes and the overall club set up just as much. My expectation was strongly in looking forward to the away legs of club matches more than the home ones.
10 years on and I'm finding that whilst it was nice to visit most of the other courses a few times, I actually prefer competing over my home course! So in this sense that's the one that grown on me the most.

robbeh32

Visit site
Bawburgh Glen Lodge in Norfolk. Used to see it as just another course, but played it recently and aside from 2 holes (3&4) I really enjoyed the whole course!

Funny you should say that I played Bawburgh couple of weeks ago and loved the course but didn't like 3 and 4. Just boring run of the mill holes reminding me of the easton 9 hole course.

D

Deleted member 21258

Barham Broom - Hill Course. Disliked it a lot the first time I played it, was like an open field and felt very up and down, but over the years as the trees have grown, I quite like it now and it has one of my favourite par 5s on.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Links courses, decent ones that is. Said to Missis T whilst sunbathing in me speedos yesterday. “ where would you like to go back to, if you had a chance”. She said today “ Ireland”. I said “ yeah but i would have to take me clubs again”. She said “that was part of the best bit, some Of the views from The courses”. Boom.

Tashys goin to Ireland, Tashys goin Ireland. Nah nah nah, Nah nah nah nah. 😁

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most of mine go the other way. I start out liking it, and as I become more familiar, things start to bug me.

I have that with Ferndown. It’s always in good nick but after playing there loads over the years I find that it isn’t much of a challenge anymore except for a couple of tee shots.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I too can think of a couple that have gone the other way for me.
Liked very much when I was a mid teens player but not as a single figure player.

One type of shot I greatly dislike is the one where you have to know how much short of a green to land the ball to get the ball to stop on the green and I can think immediately of one course that has several greens that are exactly like that. It's about luck rather than skill.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
PGA Course at Gleneagles.

Still don't think its a great finish and the front 9 is better than the back 9 but it is a great test of golf. Some very nice golf holes.

Another vote for the PGA although I think the back nine is just as good as the front nine and if you think it’s a good test then try playing from The Tiger Tees it’s a brute and has certainly grew on me this year.

Ryder cup weekend on the PGA on Sunday off the Tigers tees this weekend so hope it’s not blowing a gale 💨💨💨

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another vote for the PGA although I think the back nine is just as good as the front nine and if you think it’s a good test then try playing from The Tiger Tees it’s a brute and has certainly grew on me this year.

Ryder cup weekend on the PGA on Sunday off the Tigers tees this weekend so hope it’s not blowing a gale 💨💨💨

Had the offer of a freebie a few weeks ago but had family commitments :(

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me would be Aberdovey.

Have played it 6 or 7 times, in conditions at all ends of the spectrum, and loved every time.

Friday / Saturday we played with winds in opposing directions each day. Front and back 9 completely different.

The course supports the subtle changes in the challenge the conditions pose brilliantly and is one of those that's 'sneaky good'.

Every time I play it I usually get a stupid grin on my face on the drive home when it dawns on me how good the experience was, irrespective of how I've played.