Courses that grow on you.

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd say Caversham Heath. Not the best course in the world by a friendly club with a warm welcome and I have grown to enjoy each visit a little bit more and learn a little more on how to play it a bit better

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Buckinghamshire - when I first played it the rough was down and it wasn't very inspiring.

Have played it several times since and especially when it has been set-up for the sectional qualifier for the USGA Womens Open it's a great test.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably Burnham for me. Couldn’t see what all the fuss was about at first but always look forward to going there now. It’s still nails though.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I too can think of a couple that have gone the other way for me.
Liked very much when I was a mid teens player but not as a single figure player.

One type of shot I greatly dislike is the one where you have to know how much short of a green to land the ball to get the ball to stop on the green and I can think immediately of one course that has several greens that are exactly like that. It's about luck rather than skill.
That's an interesting observation, and one I have changed my mind about many times over the decades!
Ultimately, it doesn't matter whether it's the green, fringe or fairway I'm simply looking for a degree of consistency in how the ball responds for any given trajectory and spin (and I think it's a good thing if each of the 3 react differently - especially on parkland courses).
After that it's down to the player to hit the shot. You still have to choose and hit your mark whether it's an area of the green or fairway.
Where it goes wrong is where the options are both restricted and unattractive eg you have to run it on but the ground is both inconsistent and poor quality - at which point it's a lottery.
Most links have similar landing reactions from both fairway and green (marginally more reaction to spin from the tighter green surface) so the equation is more like hitting into one huge green with many contours and even some bunkers dotted around!

D

Deleted member 17920

North Berwick.

I was more than impressed the 1st time but each time after I have been more and more impressed. Such a wonderful place to play golf.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
My 2nd course - St Annes Old Links.

Aside from a couple of holes, it doesn't have the majesty of huge sand dunes like Hillside, or the serenity of say a Formby or S&A and whilst i enjoyed the round, I thought to myself that it would be a slog to play it week in and week out. However, the more you play it, the more you appreciate the test of the bunkering and if possible, where you need to approach the green from to get somewhere near the flag. It's always in immaculate condition and rarely do I put on better greens all year.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Royal Liverpool.

Even though the first round was free I just didnt think it was great compared to some others on the open rota, but I like it a little bit more each time. Probably doesnt get any higher up the open ranking courses, but has gone up in my estimation.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Hankley Common. First heathland course I had played, and having spent most of my time in the heather didn't see the attraction.

More I play it the more I love it. Best setting for an inland course ?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hankley Common. First heathland course I had played, and having spent most of my time in the heather didn't see the attraction.

More I play it the more I love it. Best setting for an inland course ?
This was the first course that came to my mind.

H4h was my second time and it blew me away

D

Deleted member 15344

This was the first course that came to my mind.

H4h was my second time and it blew me away

Yep same here first time it was in a charity day and it was nice then the next coupl eof times it was just amazing

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably Manchester Golf Club.

Thought it was pretty good first time I played it, every time I've played it since it has impressed me more and more. One of the very best in the NW for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Some interesting answers so simple question: What was it that grew on you on your subsequent visit(s) to come to the decision. With me, it's realising the best line to take on the holes at Caversham and knowing more where to put the ball, especially on their sloping greens to score the best. Simple as that. Not a spectacular looking course but one that I enjoy

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Stoneham - disliked it the first time I played there about 7 years ago and hated it even more the second time recently (and I can play there for free) .....

Too many blind shots going up or down hill means as an occasional visitor it is annoying to play plus the endearing noise from the various motorways that surround it, have told my mates not to include me for their next adventure there.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Stoneham - disliked it the first time I played there about 7 years ago and hated it even more the second time recently (and I can play there for free) .....

Too many blind shots going up or down hill means as an occasional visitor it is annoying to play plus the endearing noise from the various motorways that surround it, have told my mates not to include me for their next adventure there.

Hmm, the opposite to what's being asked, but, I agree, after playing it for the first time earlier this year, I really didn’t get what the fuss was about with this course.

The poor holes far outweighed the occasional good holes.