Courses Re-Opening

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
While it's always good to read positives, it’s not exactly the height of journalistic detection is it..?
It's pretty obvious, I hope, to most that not much will happen until schools go back and then things will open up slowly but surely after that.
Trying to make this out as a big scoop when, in reality they're guessing and, in many ways, stating the pretty obvious...

Golfnut1957

Visit site
It's not really a positive for me as I just couldn't stop myself from hoping for a return this month.

Not withstanding any of that our course will have to dry out before we get on it, and following two weeks of practically none stop rain, and a further two weeks forecast, it's going to take some drying.

D

Deleted member 15344

I was very naively hoping for a March 8 tee time, if not before.

I think that’s closer to the mark - the “roadmap” gets announced on 22nd Feb , some primary schools etc are due to open after the half term and can see the Tier system starting either straight after the 22nd or on the 8th .

My very positive thinking has the country in Tier 3 from 8th March which would mean the golf course open with 4 balls on the 8th March

Mandofred

Visit site
I think that’s closer to the mark - the “roadmap” gets announced on 22nd Feb , some primary schools etc are due to open after the half term and can see the Tier system starting either straight after the 22nd or on the 8th .

My very positive thinking has the country in Tier 3 from 8th March which would mean the golf course open with 4 balls on the 8th March
That's what I'm hoping for. It might not happen of course, but I wouldn't see why they would wait much longer if the virus numbers start dropping nicely by then.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Our club renews it’s yearly membership in April, it will be interesting to see how much it is. That aside am not sure how any dates can be set yet, does Boris have a crystal ball re how many infections and deaths we will be having in March. Me am planning on golfing in April at the earliest, ( my crystal ball being better than Bojos). anything sooner is a bonus.

Last edited:

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As much as I love golf, I don't want the rushing of opening things only to be lockdown later on during the pleasant weather months! Plus from what I've seen walking the dog the ground needs a lot of dry days!
Notwithstanding if they opened tomorrow I'd be out; albeit dressed for a north sea fishing trip :ROFLMAO:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Frankly, all I see is journalists refusing to learn from the lessons of last year and putting pressure on the government to "name a date"....thinking they are doing the public a great service by forcing the government to make some sort of committed statement.

It is patently obvious that the moment any sort of restrictions are eased that a huge number of ignorant selfish morons will take it as a sign that they can simply do what they want, when they want, where they want, with no thought for anyone else..."cos pretty much everyone who is at risk is safe now cos they've had a jab havent they?"

Yes its important that we get things open as soon as we can.....but you don't take the bandages off a wound merely because its not bleeding quite as much as it was before.

You know what will happen....the government will undo the leash in Mid March, things will go tits up in May and everyone will turn and point and ask..."well why the hell did you let us out in March?"

D

Deleted member 15344

Frankly, all I see is journalists refusing to learn from the lessons of last year and putting pressure on the government to "name a date"....thinking they are doing the public a great service by forcing the government to make some sort of committed statement.

It is patently obvious that the moment any sort of restrictions are eased that a huge number of ignorant selfish morons will take it as a sign that they can simply do what they want, when they want, where they want, with no thought for anyone else..."cos pretty much everyone who is at risk is safe now cos they've had a jab havent they?"

Yes its important that we get things open as soon as we can.....but you don't take the bandages off a wound merely because its not bleeding quite as much as it was before.

You know what will happen....the government will undo the leash in Mid March, things will go tits up in May and everyone will turn and point and ask..."well why the hell did you let us out in March?"

Whilst it’s understand to be cautious because of last year - we came out of lockdown ( first one ) in a good calm manner , it was later in the year when things changed not the coming out of lockdown

There is also a huge game changer compared to last year as well - the vaccine , there is chance that by the end of may/June every adult will have had the vaccine.

So whilst people will be a bit cautious - within the next two weeks everyone over the age of 70 and others with serious under lying conditions will have had the vaccine.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So whilst people will be a bit cautious - within the next two weeks everyone over the age of 70 and others with serious under lying conditions will have had the vaccine.

Not really. The take up in the BAME community has been low (15% ish) according to The Guardian. (For whatever reason, not going down that road). But, as they are potentially at the most risk, potentially live in higher transmission areas, (not going there either), there could be a fair number of hot spots where the numbers don't go down.
Given that the gov have said they do not want to go to a tier system, it could all just grind to a halt, with no more loosening up at all. Hospital number could remain high, new cases also. Watch this space I guess, but the total numbers don't tell the whole story.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not really. The take up in the BAME community has been low (15% ish) according to The Guardian. (For whatever reason, not going down that road). But, as they are potentially at the most risk, potentially live in higher transmission areas, (not going there either), there could be a fair number of hot spots where the numbers don't go down.
Given that the gov have said they do not want to go to a tier system, it could all just grind to a halt, with no more loosening up at all. Hospital number could remain high, new cases also. Watch this space I guess, but the total numbers don't tell the whole story.

When did they say that ?

Just yesterday he was talking about Tiers at a national not regional ?

If people are refusing the vaccine then it should be issues for those people not the rest of the population to suffer because of selfish acts

The numbers are the way they have judged every action so far and those numbers are showing the decline at a good rate.

There is no doubt IMO that restrictions will be eased at the end of the month and then continue to be eased through the next two months.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
There is also a huge game changer compared to last year as well - the vaccine , there is chance that by the end of may/June every adult will have had the vaccine.

Maybe every adult over 50 will have had their first jab giving them what...60-65% immunity. Maybe a goodly number of the over 70's might have had their 2nd jab. The top 9 priority groups only cover roughly 28 million people. The vast majority of the population, including the highly mobile and sociable 18's to 35's will not have had any jab at all.

Yes the vaccine is the one thing that's different than this time last year and it will make things easier.....but there will still be huge scope for the virus to continue to be transmitted....even if it is via people who perhaps are not as susceptible to its effects as the over 50's.

D

Deleted member 15344

Maybe every adult over 50 will have had their first jab giving them what...60-65% immunity. Maybe a goodly number of the over 70's might have had their 2nd jab. The top 9 priority groups only cover roughly 28 million people. The vast majority of the population, including the highly mobile and sociable 18's to 35's will not have had any jab at all.

Yes the vaccine is the one thing that's different than this time last year and it will make things easier.....but there will still be huge scope for the virus to continue to be transmitted....even if it is via people who perhaps are not as susceptible to its effects as the over 50's.

The virus will still continue to be transmitted anyway - it’s not just going to disappear but you just have to look at the levels from last summer which were very low and then as the autumn arrives that’s where the immunity from the vaccine will be key

There are many other dangers out there and we need to look to move forward

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst it’s understand to be cautious because of last year - we came out of lockdown ( first one ) in a good calm manner , it was later

You mean offered a vaccine.....I think as we go down the ladder there will be more and more turning it down. Especially, sadly, those in more at risk groups.....

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
The virus will still continue to be transmitted anyway - it’s not just going to disappear but you just have to look at the levels from last summer which were very low and then as the autumn arrives that’s where the immunity from the vaccine will be key

There are many other dangers out there and we need to look to move forward

Don't get me wrong....I agree with your closing statement....I just don't believe that the vaccine is going to be the utopic panacea that some people are seemingly making it out (or perhaps hoping it) to be. There's going to be a lot more heartache and disruption before we finally get this thing under some sort of relative control.

TigerBear

Visit site
Jeez feel for you guys down south.

I'm going for a round tomorrow, couldn't face another lockdown without golf!