Courses Near Abingdon/Culham

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dear Oxfordshire forum'ers (and anyone else for that matter)

Does anyone know any decent courses near Culham? I'm due to be there for 17 weeks and need a good track or two to visit.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Huntercombe is lovely, but it’s a fair distance away.

Frilford is a good shout , but there are other courses close by that could do with investigating.

Drayton Park, Hinksey Heights, or slightly further away Goring & Streatley

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Huntercombe GC is 20 minutes from Culham. Not really that far considering he's in Culham for 17 weeks and wants to play some decent courses.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Haddon hill is maybe worth a look.

Bit further , as in Frilford travel territory, but may be able to host you at Carswell sometime.

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Where are you staying while you are here? I live in Abingdon so I've played most of the courses mentioned

Frilford - best in the local area by a long way, 3 very good courses, a bit dear for a regular knock though. Winter day rate is £70 weekends, quite a bit more than that from April onwards.
Drayton - used to be a member here. Decent value and they have a good greenkeeping team so usually in good nick although lots of pay & play traffic. Nice combination of "very tight" and "open your shoulders". Lots of water!
Hadden Hill - drains superbly but not much else to recommend it, not the most exciting of layouts.
The Springs - suffered a bit recently for condition but has now been bought and hopefully improving. Not a bad layout but gets a bit up and down in places.
Hinksey Heights - avoid. OK course but has suffered very badly with lack of investment, spoke to a member last summer who said they were basically keeping it going themselves.

Those are probably the closest to Culham but as you get a little further there's a fair bit of choice. Oxford GC or North Oxford GC, both members' clubs in good condition. The Oxfordshire a little further north, quite an easy trip from Culham. Huntercombe as mentioned, or lots of good tracks as you move down towards Reading including my home course Goring & Streatley (huge hill to climb up but superb greens).

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Where are you staying while you are here? I live in Abingdon so I've played most of the courses mentioned

Frilford - best in the local area by a long way, 3 very good courses, a bit dear for a regular knock though. Winter day rate is £70 weekends, quite a bit more than that from April onwards.
Drayton - used to be a member here. Decent value and they have a good greenkeeping team so usually in good nick although lots of pay & play traffic. Nice combination of "very tight" and "open your shoulders". Lots of water!
Hadden Hill - drains superbly but not much else to recommend it, not the most exciting of layouts.
The Springs - suffered a bit recently for condition but has now been bought and hopefully improving. Not a bad layout but gets a bit up and down in places.
Hinksey Heights - avoid. OK course but has suffered very badly with lack of investment, spoke to a member last summer who said they were basically keeping it going themselves.

Those are probably the closest to Culham but as you get a little further there's a fair bit of choice. Oxford GC or North Oxford GC, both members' clubs in good condition. The Oxfordshire a little further north, quite an easy trip from Culham. Huntercombe as mentioned, or lots of good tracks as you move down towards Reading including my home course Goring & Streatley (huge hill to climb up but superb greens).

I'm transferring jobs and will be up there for training.

Thanks, guys I've got a list now and will do some digging.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Probably the best answer there, although I would add in Studley wood which is only 20 mins from abingdon.
I live in Abingdon myself, give us a shout if you fancy a round and I will try and get out.