Courses/Memberships in Birmingham

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Really looking into becoming a member somewhere in the new year for the first time. For a long time I've wanted to obtain an official handicap and play in comps.

I have a few things on my requirement list (see below) but wondering if there are any golfers on here that are members at clubs in the Birmingham area (preferably South) that might be able to recommend to me their club or any offers their club may have on at the moment.

My requirements/situation;

Firstly, I work 30 miles away, so rounds in the week are very difficult to fit in unless I'm off on holiday. This would mean that a 7 day or 5 day membership wouldn't appeal to me. Getting out for actual rounds of golf can be difficult also at the weekend, but I am hoping that by having a membership somewhere, it may encourage me to get out early in the mornings at weekends so I can still achieve all the things I need to at weekends.

I've seen a very good offer at Lickey Hills Golf Club/Rose Hill in South Birmingham who were doing a £70 a year membership whereby you received 25% off each round of golf. Just wondered if there was anything better out there really!?

Cheers guys!

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not from the area but a few things to consider.

If you are looking to play in comps and attain a handicap, make sure the offer at Lickey Hills gives you an official handicap as it may not include that. I would also work out how many rounds you are expecting to play and see if a membership would save you money or paying each round would be more cost effective. I am not sure if it will be the same in England but my club in Northern Ireland is fully booked every saturday from dawn until about 3pm during the season. so getting out early on weekends can be tough!

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Rob,

A couple of years ago I paid for annual membership of Mytime, which gave me 7 day access to all of the Birmingham Municipals, for about £650 I think. For an extra £60 or so I could have joined Rose Hill GC (based at the Lickeys) as a member (this is the deal you mentioned) which would have allowed me to enter the official comps and get a handicap.

At the moment I'm a summer twilight member at Harborne (April-September, 7 days after 3pm) for about £400. This is perfect for me, allows me to play on the way home from work and after taking the missus shopping etc at weekends. In the winter I just pay & play places like the Lickeys or Warley Woods when the whether permits.

If you fancy taking a look at Harborne I can get you in as a guest from April onwards, after 3pm.

I suppose your choice could depend on where you work - if you pass any courses on the way home you can call in on the way. That's why I chose Harborne, halfway between work in West Brom and home in Northfield.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi Rob,

A couple of years ago I paid for annual membership of Mytime, which gave me 7 day access to all of the Birmingham Municipals, for about £650 I think. For an extra £60 or so I could have joined Rose Hill GC (based at the Lickeys) as a member (this is the deal you mentioned) which would have allowed me to enter the official comps and get a handicap.

At the moment I'm a summer twilight member at Harborne (April-September, 7 days after 3pm) for about £400. This is perfect for me, allows me to play on the way home from work and after taking the missus shopping etc at weekends. In the winter I just pay & play places like the Lickeys or Warley Woods when the whether permits.

If you fancy taking a look at Harborne I can get you in as a guest from April onwards, after 3pm.

I suppose your choice could depend on where you work - if you pass any courses on the way home you can call in on the way. That's why I chose Harborne, halfway between work in West Brom and home in Northfield.

Cheers PIng!

My main issue is the commuting from work (I work in Evesham) so it means golf in the week is almost impossible. I was able to get 50 balls in at Becketts Farm which was good but actual rounds of golf were restricted to the weekends, weather (and missus!) permitting!

The reason behind getting a membership somewhere would be to just try something different, enter comps and having something to work towards in the form of a properly managed handicap!

Might take you up on that offer at Harborne. For years (since I was about 8, now 24!) I've been playing the muni across the road...