Course Types/Approach for Beginners

PrimroseandBlue

Visit site
Not unrelated to my post about courses in the North West but hopefully different and general enough!

I've got another outing on a par-3 tomorrow, but keen to bite the bullet and take on an 18-hole course sooner rather than later. So my questions to the assembly are:
- what would you recommend in terms of course type to go for? Shorter to get into it or longer to get into the swing of driver play, gentle parkland or whatever is nearby and a reasonable price, etc. Sadly we don't have a municipal course.
- what tips would you give someone moving up to a full size course?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yup that's what I was thinking. Waiting for the repy as I play at Styal and the guy listed it as a place he was going to play so must be close. We could get on the 18 at about 12 if you fancy it. I've got nowt on except nurse a hang o ver. I'll ask me mate along. He's as bad as me. you'll enjoy.

Sekiro

Visit site
Yeah just get out and play, you’ll end up messing with your head by overthinking it.

If anything I’d say make sure to take a drink, some snacks and plan appropriately for the weather conditions of the day, beyond that just enjoy it.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you are happy on a par 3 course imo you've got practice on the hardest bit, the drives are just about keeping it in play (adding distance later!)

What do you think is holding you back from taking on a full course?

PrimroseandBlue

Visit site
Yup that's what I was thinking. Waiting for the repy as I play at Styal and the guy listed it as a place he was going to play so must be close. We could get on the 18 at about 12 if you fancy it. I've got nowt on except nurse a hang o ver. I'll ask me mate along. He's as bad as me. you'll enjoy.

It is Styal- thanks but already playing with a couple of mates. Thanks for the offer though.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Frankly, and silly as it sounds, embarrassing myself!

1- get to a club
2- get a seat with a view of the first tee
3- grab something eat / drink
4- watch at least half the guys embarrass themselves.

Enjoy the par 3, but if i were you take crazyface up on the offer and good luck when you give the full course a go.

Sekiro

Visit site
1- get to a club
2- get a seat with a view of the first tee
3- grab something eat / drink
4- watch at least half the guys embarrass themselves.

Enjoy the par 3, but if i were you take crazyface up on the offer and good luck when you give the full course a go.

I put 1 into the trees off the first myself just this morning, everyone does it from time to time, even if you watch the pro’s they still hit some terrible shots... the best advice I can give is play your game and don’t worry about what anyone else thinks or scores, you’ll enjoy it much more once you do.

As others have said your overthinking it . I’m new to golf myself and had a few lessons then played 18 holes with my mate and now im addicted. Play 5 times a week and loving it. Just get out there and enjoy yourself

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I’ve been playing for yonks and still frequently embarrass myself, it’s part of the game, we are part time amateur golfers with handicaps.

Yes you’ll get a ribbing when you cock it up, but then you can rib them back when they do similar.

We play for fun and exercise, we can play the same courses that some of the greats have played, what other sport can do that?

Now get out there and hit some balls ?

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Was playing in a medal at the weekend with guys from the sweep. I'm new to the club so only played with them a couple of times. On one of the holes I was over a putt and as it was raining I was wearing my new bucket hat. It has a design flaw in that water drops down on the ball.

I felt 'water' dripping down my nose. I used a finger to wipe it away only to find it was a big sticky stream of snot. Had to shake it off and then missed my putt. You can't embarrass yourself more than that ?. I'm not usually that disgusting.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The one thing to remember for an 18 hole course is 18 bogeys is around 88-90 which most would class as a really good score, especially for a beginner.

On a par 3 a bogey hurts a lot but on a full course they are a great score!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go out and play and if you shoot a gazillion, don't worry about it. Golf is a game mostly learnt on the course, and every round has at least one shot that brings you back the next time.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Go out and play. End of. Plenty of club golfers embarrass themselves. You've only got to look at things like Rouges Gallery when the Trilby Tour was being played or indeed watch a few holes of any GM Forum meet to see plenty of us making idiots of ourselves and hitting terrible shots. As long as you keep up with play or let others through if you get in trouble there's nothing to worry about

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As has been mentioned. Just go out and hit the ball! I for one really enjoy seeing obvious new comers at my club. Yes they may be hacking about and doing the wrong thing from time to time but i enjoy seeing people excited about this crazy game. Have fun out there ?