Course suggestions north west

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We have just booked a trip for 12 of us to play Royal Liverpool next year (September) in our quest to complete the Open rota courses.

We will be travelling from Dorset, so looking for a course to play on the way up. Say within an hour's drive of Southport (where we will stay that night) en route or small diversion, less than £50.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 23270

Kington just north of Hereford. Bit of a detour but within budget and a spectacular course. Highest in England, interesting layout and fabulous views.

edit: I should point out that Kington is nowhere near Southport however it is roughly between Dorsetville and the frozen north.

https://www.kingtongolf.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you have a County Card. if so Trentham. Others to try close ro M6 Sandiway, class course, with County Card, Warrington, Lymm, Ashton in Maker field, well within budget and Haydock Park within budget.

As mentioned earlier Ormskirk is class, close to Southport. Check whether Count Card is accepted.

evemccc

Visit site
We have just booked a trip for 12 of us to play Royal Liverpool next year (September) in our quest to complete the Open rota courses.

We will be travelling from Dorset, so looking for a course to play on the way up. Say within an hour's drive of Southport (where we will stay that night) en route or small diversion, less than £50.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Heard good things about Heswall which would be close to Hoylake, not so close to Southport

Incidentally, what’s your thoughts on current favourites / your Open Rota ranking so far?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
So your staying in Southpirt but playing Hoylake? Are you also playing Southport courses on the trip?(S&A/Hillside/Birkdale) If not, then you are aware Hoylake is about an hours drive from Southport ?

If you are looking to stop somewhere on your way up then I'd go for Delemere or Sandiway. You'll need a county card or decent negotiation skills to get them for 50 quid, but with 12 of you it might be possible.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So your staying in Southpirt but playing Hoylake? Are you also playing Southport courses on the trip?(S&A/Hillside/Birkdale) If not, then you are aware Hoylake is about an hours drive from Southport ?

If you are looking to stop somewhere on your way up then I'd go for Delemere or Sandiway. You'll need a county card or decent negotiation skills to get them for 50 quid, but with 12 of you it might be possible.
Agree entirely, Delamere Forest is a great track along with Sandiway.

CH, It would be really helpful if you let us know whether you are playing some of the excellent courses in Southport, the 3 mentioned by Junior plus West Lancs, RB, Hesketh and Formby all expensive.

If not have you considered staying in Chester, easier to reach Royal Liverpool. Also consider Caldy and Heswall on The Wirral plus Wallasey which hs been mentioned several times. Chester is much easier for travelling to RL as you will not avoid travelling into Liverpool plus avoiding “The Tunnel”!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The drive from Southport to Wallasey is not the easiest depends what time you travel.
Carden Park in Chester would be my shout.
Great hotel with two good courses Nicklaus the best.
Do you want links golf or parkland?
Wallasey my choice. Or Prestbury is 5 star.

CountLippe

Visit site
There are literally dozens of great courses in the North West. The issue you'll have is the < £50 budget. As others have said, I'd pay the extra and play Wallasey.. you won't regret it.
Sub £50, I'd suggest Southport Old Links although its a 9 holer.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Kington just north of Hereford. Bit of a detour but within budget and a spectacular course. Highest in England, interesting layout and fabulous views.

edit: I should point out that Kington is nowhere near Southport however it is roughly between Dorsetville and the frozen north.

https://www.kingtongolf.co.uk/

Looks nice, thanks - but too big a detour!

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Do you have a County Card. if so Trentham. Others to try close ro M6 Sandiway, class course, with County Card, Warrington, Lymm, Ashton in Maker field, well within budget and Haydock Park within budget.

As mentioned earlier Ormskirk is class, close to Southport. Check whether Count Card is accepted.

Looks good and the County Card is a big help.

Also it's located on that M6 corridor that is so handy. I'll put it on the list for discussion!