Course set up ?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It seems common that folk think a course should be set up in a "particular way" for club championships, but I'm of the opinion any course should be "set up" for the membership not a handful of the better players, what's the general consensus on this ??

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Now that is a great question (grabs popcorn...)

Very difficult to keep all levels of players happy, I know a club local to me that shall remain nameless that was always a tough challenge - long rough etc. They cut it back for a couple of summers to encourage visitors, societies, and higher hcp members, to speed up play etc

The result? Lost a LOT of good players, no idea if it was financially better or worse off but I hear it's now onnit's way back to it's traditonal tough nature

Personally, to answer your specific question - I like it to be set up tougher for club champs and other selected bigger board comps

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
IMO opinion the course should be set up tougher for big board comps at your club. It's tough for low handicappers to win these anyway, without making it easier for high handicappers to shoot low scores. High handicappers get shots to make it easier to compete with low handicappers, so why should a good golfer be then further handicapped by the course being easier.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
95%?
You said 'better' players not an arbitrary 5% elite

Oh and I did say for selected events

Are you changing the question?

I've not been in the top 5% best players at any club I've been at but I'd still advocate tough set up for club champs

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
95%?
You said 'better' players not an arbitrary 5% elite

Oh and I did say for selected events

Are you changing the question?

I've not been in the top 5% best players at any club I've been at but I'd still advocate tough set up for club champs

We have a membership of around 600, when only 16 qualify for the club championships it was a guess of 5% but certainly around that figure, so no I'm not changing the question, why should a course be set up for only "approx" 5% of the membership.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Big main comps - greens at their quickest , tough pins , tees on the plates , rough grown up a touch - it’s your main Comp it’s supposed to show who is the best

Again, why would you do that just for a small group of players, what about the rest of the membership who play day in day out, because ultimately the best player will win regardless of course set up.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Top 16 qualifiers based on two rounds scratch score, then on to matchplay with a seeded draw for dependant on qualifying score.

D

Deleted member 23270

Top 16 qualifiers based on two rounds scratch score, then on to matchplay with a seeded draw for dependant on qualifying score.

So it's everybody that gets the chance to qualify then, not just the top 5%

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Pins should be rotated each comp. ours are. Could be easy, could be hard. But usually in the harder locations for majors, county champs etc.

CSS should reflect the difficulty for members.

Golf is hard wherever the pins are. Perhaps the pro could capitalise on this and offer reduced rate lessons and a cuddle for those affected.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, however I'm referencing what folk are saying in regards course set up, post qualifying.

give it a while and you will be near the time-to-quit and-take-up-bowling handicap like many others on here.

Another way to look at it is to stop moaning about the best players having 4 tee times on a day to see who is the best in the club - maybe if you ask nicely they will let you play afterwards

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
give it a while and you will be near the time-to-quit and-take-up-bowling handicap like many others on here.

Another way to look at it is to stop moaning about the best players having 4 tee times on a day to see who is the best in the club - maybe if you ask nicely they will let you play afterwards

Hopeless attempt at trolling, must try harder, now, like others, if you've got nothing to add to the topic, move along, nothing for you here...

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
So correct me if I'm mistaken, they just toughen up the course for a few weeks to see who the best scratch player is?

So for 2 rounds it's tough, then probably for a further 4 weeks to play the knockout. It's scratch so realistically only 10% of the club are going to be good enough to play in it. So 1/10th of the club get the course set up for them for 1/13th of the year. Doesn't appear to be unreasonable to me.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I never said at any time "they toughen up the course" I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying.

Tonight, 1/4 finals of club champs, greens are slower than they were at the weekend, they were like lightening at the weekend. "some" folk, which troller above has hopelessly taken as me, were complaining the greens should be quicker for "the club championship"

I'm suggesting, the greens keeper is employed by the members to have the course in as good as a condition as possible for all the members, not just specifically for a handful of the best players, so why do folk "complain" it "should be quicker for the club champs"

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would say the course you be set up to play its best for the CC.

Like Cabby, we have 36 hole medal strokeplay with top 8 scratch who play off the Blu and 8 handicap off the white qualifying.

For the SP the pins should be on good greens then MP they put in some tougher pin pos, esp the final.

you can still play the course before the Mp which are at 5pm Mon/Wed/Friday final with the tee closed maybe an hour our two before the final for the tee's and pins to me changed so its pristine.

Its the premier club comp so should be set up so.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The course should be presented at its best.
Is that "best" necessarily hard?
Should the course really be tricked up to the extent that some are suggesting?
I'm of the opinion that, if the course is set up in one way for 51 weeks of the year, why should it be dramatically altered for 1 week?
It becomes a different course.
The best golfer will prevail regardless of the set up - but keep it fair.
I remember one CC where the greens were shaved to within an inch of their lives, making them run much faster than normal.
It just became a slog. The greens weren't designed for average golfers to putt on at those speeds. Scores were high, rounds were long and it resembles a US Open....
Why change it?
If you're going to alter it that much you may as well hire a different course and play it there.
Or does your course set up for the rest of the year not satisfy you?