Course management

seasidehacker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does anyone know any good sites that deal with all aspects of course management? Feel it would be a good help to not just think "hit it straight"

D

Deleted Member 1156

Why not book a playing lesson with your pro and ask him to concentrate on course management?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Why not book a playing lesson with your pro and ask him to concentrate on course management?

Good idea. I rarely look back on a round and can say that I didn't drop at least one shot, usually more, as a result of playing the wrong shot or not thinking out the shot properly. How many times do you hit a shot which doesn't come off and say to yourself "Why did I do that?"

LUFC 1972

Head Pro
Visit site
Good idea. I rarely look back on a round and can say that I didn't drop at least one shot, usually more, as a result of playing the wrong shot or not thinking out the shot properly. How many times do you hit a shot which doesn't come off and say to yourself "Why did I do that?"

Every time I play, can play 9 holes to my hcap or better (14) and then have a rush of blood to the head usually pulling out a fairway wood when it would be better to lay up, or trying to go right at a tight pin. Hence why I normally have at least one 7 on my scorecard. But occasionally it works. Played last week with a mindset of being aggressive and carded a 96 with 10 double bogeys !!! And 5 pars..I will never learn whilst my pp (my son) takes no risks and his course management is great

D

Deleted member 15344

Course management = common sense

All about thinking

Not sure what a book can teach when imo most of course management is just common sense

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
and again aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah course management comes with knowledge and experience not from a book,play with better players who you can observe,other than that i have a book out called,HOW TO GET RICH QUICK BY SELLING TAT TO THICK GOLFERS,priced at £39.99 i have written a whole chapter on this very subject.:smirk:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The early posts are right, course management is best learned with a playing lesson not from a book. A book won't tell you the secrets of playing your own course like your pro will. I did a playing lesson a few months ago and picked up loads of nuggets to help plot my way round and, one bonus, if the pro sees swing faults that need sorting I'm sure he'll point those out too

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Know your yardages and be realistic about your abilities. Then apply said commonsense.

For example, there's a pond that starts at 190yds and ends at 230yds. Your best drive will do 240yds. If you hit 240 every time, go for it. If you can't guarantee 240, lay up. Same applies for any hazard or sucker pin position.

For matchplay, you've got to look at the state of the game. If you're 1 down with 2 to play you might decide to go for it, but 1 down with 16 to play, why risk going 2 down.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Stand Over each shot with three thoughts!

Where do I want to be in an ideal world
Where do I not want to be that will impact the next shot
Where is my safe miss

Some times going for the long drive brings hazards into play that make hitting the green impossible, theses are normally bunkers or water hazards and are normally in the tiger/perfect line, for example on the inside of a dog leg. Bailing out to the outside is normally safer but requires a longer shot in. 180yrds out on the short stuff is easiest than 160yd from a plunged lie in the background bunker

Same with par5's, play them as that. If there's trouble for the bombers off the tee hit less club, over the 2nd shot look where the safest and widest lay up is, then on in three. It's amazing how going for the green in two, missing big left/right or plugging into green side bunkers results in bogeys, yet playing smart normally leave birdie putts ;)

Par 3's - don't chase tight pins, heart of the green.

As your game developes so will your course management as your ability should theoretically improve.