County memberships - thoughts on this one....

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
4-5 of my work mates are looking to join a club in the Bolton area. We found one rather exclusive club that had quite preferential rates for us, a very small (reduced) joining fee and intermediate memberships covering all our age groups.

Better still its less than a miles drive from our office

One of the guys lives right up north though and would not really get the full benefit of full 7 day membership however.

Not a problem as the offer a very low county membership (50 miles +) coming in at a vastly reduced rate.

So we get on google maps and he lives just inside the desired radius at 48.7 miles away (postcode to postcode), so he rings the Secretary to see if there is any tolerance, or if something else can be arranged.

Anyway the secretary says she will have to consult the committee regarding the matter..

10 minutes later he gets a phone call in return, explaining that the committee had decided he could not join using a county membership. He replies is there any way they could look at charging him slightly more? the answer is no. Then he tells them that they are going to lose out on nearly 5k worth of membership fees as the rest of our party wont join without him.

Still no joy

Personally i am slightly puzzled by this. Yes rules are rules, but i do have to wonder what type of business they are trying to run here?

Seems like a massive own goal to me personally

What do you think?

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm going to guess they aren't struggling for membership

Country membership is very sore subject for some clubs as some people register with an address further than the required distance but live near - nothing wrong with that but that's why I believe some clubs don't allow leeway on the mileage.

It is a shame that you guys all miss out

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Agreed, the reality is some clubs aren't struggling for membership, and don't seem to care about the extra £5k a year membership. From a common sense / business / personal perspective it seems ridiculous to me, but I went through something earlier in the year with a local club to me effectively turning my gf away as she wasn't quite at the level they expected (despite openly admitting they had dwindling membership and hardly any females!).

For me, it should be about inclusiveness, if you are keen to play golf and have openly said you can afford the membership, then you should be able to join!!

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm assuming that you all live closer to the club than your mate? TBH If they don't want to join as they can't get the county membership, why would that stop the people who live closer not joining?

You can always get your mate round to play as a guest at a cheaper rate.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not all clubs are businesses and they need to look after their members. Subscription fees may well have been voted on at an agm by the members and cannot be varied. Country membership is a contentious issue for many members.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It sets a precedent if they let someone in who lives 47 miles away, they then have to let anyone who lives less in as well.
Thin end of the wedge and all that.
They have to draw a line for these things and once drawn needs to be maintained

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am shocked, there is an exclusive club in Bolton??

I would say that its a question of precedent, we will let him join its only a couple of miles, and then someone finds out and want it as they are only 4 miles away so they let him and then someone else finds out......

They do need to set a limit and stick to it.

DCB

Visit site
Can see both sides of the argumentt nere. As has been said, is something that has to be properly managed as setting a precedent would be a disaster in the long term.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I had a country membership in Scotland when I was working up there a few years ago. Suited me fine as the only real restriction was that you weren't allowed to play in weekend medals.....I was back home anyway. Got to play 2/3 nights a week all summer and could enter midweek comps for just over £200.

As for the rules then the cut off is usually 50 miles or more and if you think about it really needs to be strictly enforced for all the reasons stated by others above. Country memberships aren't intended to offer a cheap alternative to full membership but to allow people to pay a reasonable rate and participate on quite a limited basis when in the area and unable to play their regular club.....eg on holiday or regular visitors to an area. Our rules state 50 miles and that you have to be a member at another club.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers all

I totally get that they may not want to set a precedence and i get that they may not be struggling for membership but 5k is 5k. If we all hung around for 5 years then that is a large sum of cash they have just lost out on.

As for giving an incorrect address. I am sure my mate would soon get scuppered when they as for a utility bill as proof.

The 4 of us that live and work locally could sign him on as a guest, but he would not be able to gain an official HC and he does want to.

It makes not odds now as we will all be Joining Chorley again this year. Us on a full 7 day and him on a really reduced pay and play ticket. Benefits are that we can all stick together and get a HC again.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Afraid I agree with the "they have to be strict" argument. If one person is a mile and a half short of the limit and is let in, then what happens when someone two and a half miles short asks? etc.

Ours says 50 miles and I think they do do it strictly. And, although it doesn't preclude others, it's mainly aimed at members who move away but who don't want to sever all ties with the club. (And I think we have a limit on how many there can be at any one time)

DCB

Visit site
50 miles and a member of another club is a common condition up here. Most clubs around here wouldn't have a country member who's home club is that club. You won't be paying SGU levy at your country membership club only your home club.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
50 miles and a member of another club is a common condition up here. Most clubs around here wouldn't have a country member who's home club is that club. You won't be paying SGU levy at your country membership club only your home club.

When I was a member of 2 clubs I had to pay the sgu levy at both.

D

Deleted member 15344

When I was a member of 2 clubs I had to pay the sgu levy at both.

We have just been sorting ours out - you only have to pay levy at the club which is your home club