Countback Question

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
right I've got a quick stableford question re countback.

This presented itself last week at society event I played in.

Different groups played the 2 9's in different order to save time.

How do you seperate 2 players with the same score on countback when they played the 9's in different order.

We ended up using the course back 9 scores as you usually would. This was my front 9. It didn't work in my favour, but didn't really matter as it was only to seperate 4th from 5th.
:(
Did we do it correctly or should it have been the 2 relative back 9's that were compared?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers for your reply. I'm pleased it was correct, even though it cost me second place on the season long leaderboard.

I suppose second place is nowhere anyway !:)

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The R&A don't publish any hard and fast rules on countback that I can find. EGU champs are on the last 18 (not very useful in this case) and the LGU mentions the last 9 holes (which implies the 9 holes the player approaches as their back nine).

The R&A do state that this sort of decision is up to the committee however... so basically up to your society to define.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cheers for your reply. I'm pleased it was correct, even though it cost me second place on the season long leaderboard.

I suppose second place is nowhere anyway !:)

Welcome to my world :mad:

I got done out of a win in the club stableford earlier this year on count back. Tis rather annoying!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Countback is basically a slightly more considered way of tossing a coin. There is nothing in golf that says that playing the last few holes better than someone else is of more merit than playing the first few holes better, so it is simply a somewhat arbitrary but transparent way of resolving the tie.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always thought, lowest gross should win, especially in our society where they have slashed me to 9 and I keep getting beaten by 20+ handicappers with 40 points !

But as a different thread alludes to, it's about being the best you can be, not taking home some little pot :(

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
" I always thought, lowest gross should win,"

in the event of a tie I always thought the same , if the handicap couldnt divide ye then the real golf should ...:D
BUT...
having won twice on countback this year (sorry Homer) i wont complain ...

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
You would have won in both counts then !!

Anyway everyone knows Homer has been massaging his handicap this year so he can have a crack at the big one :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sadly three putting 14 and 15 and watching Bill par the last 5 holes meant that anything other than an outright win was always going to be tough. Ironic that our 3rd player also got 34 points but playing off 4 had very little chance in terms of points countback. Wouldn't mind but Bill is an Evertonian so after last weeks result I feel he's mugged me twice

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sadly three putting 14 and 15 and watching Bill par the last 5 holes meant that anything other than an outright win was always going to be tough. Ironic that our 3rd player also got 34 points but playing off 4 had very little chance in terms of points countback. Wouldn't mind but Bill is an Evertonian so after last weeks result I feel he's mugged me twice
Both me & the toffees got the rub of the green when we needed it mate , thats all , hopefuly everton win again this season coz i wont ha