Could it be the wedges?

MikeySQ

Medal Winner
Visit site
I use Nike SV spin velocity wedges and really have trouble spinning the ball back. I normally hit the ball sweet with a descending blow and the ball flys very high however I just cant seem to get any spin what so ever on our greens which are actually quite soft at the moment. Even the pro v1's arnt really helping:/

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use Nike SV spin velocity wedges and really have trouble spinning the ball back. I normally hit the ball sweet with a descending blow and the ball flys very high however I just cant seem to get any spin what so ever on our greens which are actually quite soft at the moment. Even the pro v1's arnt really helping:/

High flighted shots never really skip back. I find the lower the flight the more check or spin is applied to the ball.
Are you taking a divots?
I have to feel I'm nipping the ball to get the ball to spin back.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do want it to spin back?

Never understood the need for that unless your aiming for the middle of the green and spinning it all the way to a difficult front pin position...what do you do if the pin is at the back of a green?

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why do want it to spin back?

Never understood the need for that unless your aiming for the middle of the green and spinning it all the way to a difficult front pin position...what do you do if the pin is at the back of a green?

Agreed!!

All my iron shots 'bite' even from my 3 iron. If I do get any spin it's usuall from left to right as i slice across the ball a little. I love knowing that my shots will stop in most conditions so I can aim right at the flag. Whether it goes where I aim or not is a different story. Also come summer when the green firm up I expect a little run

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Much rather have a couple of hops and stop. On the odd occasion I spin it, it normally comes back off the green!

I'm just starting to learn this aspect as I've switched from the AD333 to the DX3. Granted it doesn't spin like a premium ball but I get plenty of bite going into greens where before, with the Srixon, they would run straight through.

I'd much rather have the Hop & Stop than a ball pitching on the green then spinnng back and off.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Agree with the concept of 'why spin'. However would like to be able to spin back if required - having short-sided myself for example.

I don't get a lot of spin but have noticed that the ball seems to be further back than I would have expected - so believe that the amount of spin appears less by the actual player (seeing it from directly behind) than playing partners (seeing it from an angle). I still tend to be short - so too much spin would make this even worse!

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Several weeks ago I submitted a post asking why some of the mid to low handicap players use Pro V's and how many people could actually get them to spin backwards:

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?38190-Premium-balls-and-back-spin-with-wedges

As you will see nobody stated that they could actually get the ball to spin backwards therefore I would suggest that many average golfers do not have sufficient technique to actually spin the ball backwards.In addition you also need to realise that on many of the courses we play on the greens and fairways may not be to the same standard of the championship courses which may also help to promote the desired back spin.

If you can drop the ball in from a height so it stops dead or bounces/skips and then stops it is very likely that you are not doing much wrong. If you have a look on youtube there are a few videos which show how to get back spin however there are a lot of variables to enable you to achieve it.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Everyone puts backspin on the ball when they hit it, just the amount varies.

All other things being equal (good grooves, soft ball etc) the way to get more backspin is more loft or hit it harder.

Is it any surprise the pros get good amounts of backspin how far they hit the ball? If they want to stop the ball spinning so much they take too much club and hit it softer, so from 100 they might hit a 3/4 SW.
For anyone who hits a full SW 100yds they can only spin it as much as a pro trying to take the spin off!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Groves don't create spin, they just wick away moisture between the clubface and ball.

I play a lot of golf and with many low handicappers, I rarely see a ball spin back unless it is hit out a bunker.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Groves don't create spin, they just wick away moisture between the clubface and ball.

Yes, sorry. I didn't mean to imply that the grooves created the spin by gripping the ball, just that I assume that worn grooves won't accommodate all the crap in the same way that nice grooves would.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, sorry. I didn't mean to imply that the grooves created the spin by gripping the ball, just that I assume that worn grooves won't accommodate all the crap in the same way that nice grooves would.

Yes that's right, clean sharp groves do wick away the wet better. It's a bit like racing tyres, they get better grip with slicks but wet tyres with treads clear away the water.