Costa del Sol golf trip

Gowferdee

Visit site
Looking at 5 days near to Mijas/Benalmadena in September..subject to covid rules of course.

Looking to play a few rounds, maybe twilight etc, nothing too expensive.

Any recommendations/tips welcome on courses, club hire etc welcome - even a 9 hole course would do for 1-2 rounds. Not looking to spend a fortune. 16-18 handicappers

Thanks

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking at 5 days near to Mijas/Benalmadena in September..subject to covid rules of course.

Looking to play a few rounds, maybe twilight etc, nothing too expensive.

Any recommendations/tips welcome on courses, club hire etc welcome - even a 9 hole course would do for 1-2 rounds. Not looking to spend a fortune. 16-18 handicappers

Thanks

La cala is about 5 minutes in from Mijas. 3 courses, great set up, been twice now and bloody love it. Not sure on cost for golf but it normally costs around £500 ish including flights, transfers, 3 nights b&b, buggies and 3 rounds of golf.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been a few years now, but agree La Cala is decent but it is hilly and can be punishing for players not keeping it straight off the tee.

Mijas has two courses which are much flatter, and more like US resort courses i.e. lots of water but a lot more playable. Think they used to do a day rate which could work out reasonable value.

El Chapparall was always nice, they were very proud of the speed of their greens and nice clubhouse. Did have a few issues with thefts from bags last time there but they just suggest locking valuables in a safe before round.

I think Santana and Calanova were two others we played and very much enjoyed.

Peluqui

Visit site
+1 for Santana great course and very welcoming clubhouse.

Also Torrequebrada in Benalmadena is very good, but maybe too expensive if you are looking for cheap golf.

Peluqui

Visit site
For club hire, try Sunshine golf - close to Mijas Costa on the main road - they will also arrange tee times as well.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just coming back to this as I saw you said cheap. Alhaurin golf club is up in the "mountains/hill range" by mijas. A course designed by Seve but you wouldn't know it given width of fairways on first 9 holes with massive drop offs over the edge of the hill.

Course condition had gone down a bit I heard but this was 5 years ago. Back 9 was more playable if less scenic.

I think it's a course that wouldn't be at the top of the list but was normally cheapest by a mile and I always enjoyed it including a nice clubhouse. Alhaurín Golf - A great course in an incomparable natural environment (alhauringolf.com)

Stop in Mijas Pablo on the way back which is a nice Spanish town/village.

Gowferdee

Visit site
thanks i've stayed in mijas pueblo before for a week, lovely wee place - will maybe have a couple of nights there and play alhaurin