Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, much as you find it difficult to accept, I regret to say you probably are wrong.

I haven’t seen a bobby in the village where I live for months. But I know that they have been there, almost daily. I know that, not just because of what I do, but also because I play golf with our local bobby and there is nothing he doesn’t know about this community. Nothing. His knowledge is not something he gains by not getting out and speaking with local people. Surprisingly, even though I don’t see him and his colleagues, equally I don’t spend every waking hour looking for them, and there’s every possibility they might just have passed by when my attention was elsewhere. Or perhaps I might actually not have been at home. But hey, it happens. It might just happen down your way, too.

But far more significantly, my nearly 29 years’ experience of policing, experience you don’t have, is such that I can say with some certainty that there is not a community anywhere in this country which has been abandoned by its local police, regardless of what you think. That won’t mean a 24/7 presence in plain sight of your front door, but they will still be about.

Things might be bad after a decade of austerity. But they’re not quite that bad.
Yes as I thought you are right and I am wrong , how silly of me.
I live in a suburb in a major city and have seen cops in the city centre on foot but knowhere else.
When I don’t golf I go for a very long walk every day ,I don’t see any except whizzing in their cars.
That’s not community policing to me sorry.
Can’t make it any plainer.
I am not having a go at the police far from it I would love to see them more.
But I don’t.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah, "the media"... Seems for 'the right' the penny is dropping what a bunch of lying charlatans much of the press/media is... Sadly come the next election both sides will have kissed and made up and be happy back together attacking the left ?✌...
What's "the right" got to do with it. Most of us who have half a brian have known it for years.

Momentum continue to use "the right" against all those that refuse to agree with their extreme views.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Low level crime now is just a crime number for your insurance.

Okay. Ball in your court now.

Your garden shed gets broken into, and a lawnmower for which you don’t have a serial number is stolen.

There are no forensic opportunities, you have no CCTV, and because the theft happened overnight there were no witnesses, as you and your neighbours were all tucked up in bed.

What, exactly, would you have the police do? They’re human beings, not magicians. All you will ever get in those circumstances is a crime number because, in the absence of a crime pattern, evidence or intelligence there is nothing to investigate.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Yes as I thought you are right and I am wrong , how silly of me.
I live in a suburb in a major city and have seen cops in the city centre on foot but knowhere else.
When I don’t golf I go for a very long walk every day ,I don’t see any except whizzing in their cars.
That’s not community policing to me sorry.
Can’t make it any plainer.
I am not having a go at the police far from it I would love to see them more.
But I don’t.

You will see foot officers in city centres. You’re unlikely to see them elsewhere. That may not be community policing to you. But community policing is not about feet on the street these days.

You see? You don’t understand policing methods do you? Despite your week or so on jury service.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Okay. Ball in your court now.

Your garden shed gets broken into, and a lawnmower for which you don’t have a serial number is stolen.

There are no forensic opportunities, you have no CCTV, and because the theft happened overnight there were no witnesses, as you and your neighbours were all tucked up in bed.

What, exactly, would you have the police do? They’re human beings, not magicians. All you will ever get in those circumstances is a crime number because, in the absence of a crime pattern, evidence or intelligence there is nothing to investigate.
I would do what I have done for the last 20 odd years just not bother as you say you can’t do anything .
But the last time my car got broken into the police just gave me a crime number and would not look for any forensic evidence.
Adding insult to injury I received a phone call three days later asking me to score out of ten the service I received from the police, you couldn’t make it up.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
What's "the right" got to do with it. Most of us who have half a brian have known it for years.

Momentum continue to use "the right" against all those that refuse to agree with their extreme views.

As it was Sunday I was trying to be polite... Should've stuck with 'team blue rinse' ?✌... And, I've been told you only need half a brian to read the mail...

sussexhacker

Visit site
Perhaps if your timeline also had things such as Nightingale Hospitals, furlough, support for self-employed, support for small businesses etc then it would be more balanced.
It doesn’t need to be balanced it’s just pointing out the atrocious way Boris has handled the crisis, not quite trump level but not exactly Merkel like either is he.

The only positives you can come up with were the brainchild’s of his chancellor and scientific team of which I take it none have been consulted about this change in advice

sussexhacker

Visit site
Do you understand the following words...

"Stay at home as much as possible?"

I do. They're clear to me. Maybe I'm stupid?
it’s not about you being able to understand it it’s about the other bellends who haven’t listened to the current advice let alone being told they have more freedom than they thought they did before

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But a question ?
So if all your questions were ignored would you be ok with that.?
The question was pointing out that fines for speeding, dropping litter, parking etc are there as a deterent. The point I was making wasnt about police going down your road or speed cameras, it was about moving people on and fining them if they are breaking social distance rules so it was a deterent to them and others. As I have already pointed out on this thread I saw Police doing this on the News today and it was very effective.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
As it was Sunday I was trying to be polite... Should've stuck with 'team blue rinse' ?✌... And, I've been told you only need half a brian to read the mail...
Wouldn't know it seems the only mindless people who read it are those that spend their time denying it and then quote it.

Not sure what the granny blue rinse has to do with the views of the marxist in momentum.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You will see foot officers in city centres. You’re unlikely to see them elsewhere. That may not be community policing to you. But community policing is not about feet on the street these days.

You see? You don’t understand policing methods do you? Despite your week or so on jury service.
What a crass last remark.
I spent 11 weeks altogether as I was asked to do a murder trial.
The only one that didn’t involve cameras.
Your right I don’t understand your methods anymore isn’t that the problem ? And I don’t think I am alone.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The question was pointing out that fines for speeding, dropping litter, parking etc are there as a deterent. The point I was making wasnt about police going down your road or speed cameras, it was about moving people on and fining them if they are breaking social distance rules so it was a deterent to them and others. As I have already pointed out on this thread I saw Police doing this on the News today and it was very effective.
I understand what you are saying .
But you asked a question I just answered it with one word.
I can’t put it any plainer..

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
You get it, loads won't or will choose to exploit the wording to suit. Why not just keep it as 'Stay at Home' at least until they get the infection rates down more and drop the 'as much as possible' part? Seems Wlaes and scotland have opted to stay clear on that message. Serious concerns over a 2nd wave if this backfires.

tweet from pro govt Harry cole - cabinet ignored again on this very messaging point. Why?

Finally. Interesting photo, PM with a slightly glaikit look - captions anyone?;)

View attachment 30553

Ah, that'll be the Harry Cole whose long time partner was Carrie Symonds till Boris 'stole' her. Yeah, Cole doesn't have an axe to grind...:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do you understand the following words...

"Stay at home as much as possible?"

I do. They're clear to me. Maybe I'm stupid?

Sorry but 'as much as possible' has a load of different meanings to a load of different folks
eg Take exercise AMAP
Drink water AMAP
Have sex AMAP

BBC Scotland has a moral dilemma tonight with the Johnson address timed for half an hour of prime time Sunday night TV. :unsure:
Gives a whole new twist to 'and now for viewers in Scotland' especially as it is a pre-recorded message.
Perhaps the new rUK have stitched him up.;)

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yet they had my iemi number and a way to track its location and they didn't. It was a £500 phone

Status
Not open for further replies.