Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is this government trying to bankrupt me? Currently in Spain just over two weeks into a three week stay. Before we left, we spent £40 booking our Day 2 lateral flow tests. After we got here, they changed the rules - it has to be PCR test. So we spent another £140 on booking our PCR tests. Now they change the rules again and we now have to have tests before we depart for home? So somehow got to find a somewhere to get a test out here? I know we had to take our chances by coming out in the first place, but it's darn annoying nonetheless.
We get lat flow test from the NHS for free .. if they accept those get a relative to dhl them out will be cheaper than this current farce.
The testing should all be for free , currently the costs are too high and vary too greatly. The quarantine hotel is rubbish if your going directly back to your own abode. I really don’t have any confidence in their systems, they should be minimising contact their end ..

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We get lat flow test from the NHS for free .. if they accept those get a relative to dhl them out will be cheaper than this current farce.
The testing should all be for free , currently the costs are too high and vary too greatly. The quarantine hotel is rubbish if your going directly back to your own abode. I really don’t any confidence in their systems, they should be minimising contact their end ..
You can't use the free one's for travel - you have to have them from a certified provider (I guess so that you have someone certify the results - rather than me concocting up my own result). I know the Gov't have had to up their game - but it's still bloomin' annoying.

And thanks, Hobbit, for the advice in the PM. (y)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can't use the free one's for travel - you have to have them from a certified provider (I guess so that you have someone certify the results - rather than me concocting up my own result). I know the Gov't have had to up their game - but it's still bloomin' annoying.

And thanks, Hobbit, for the advice in the PM. (y)
Try prenetics they have safe to fly lat flow tests at £20 just wondering if they will ship abroad though

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We're waiting for the full Gov't advice to be published - so we know precisely what's required of us. Can then sort ourselves out. The news only broke in the last hour or so.
Same here I am due to return this Friday from Sweden. It’s lower numbers here but they are very relaxed. If I can get something sorted I will, they offer tests at the airport but not sure how early I have to be to get one or can I just get one at a pharmacy etc .. it all makes sense if your in a hotspot but when your not , it’s just cash collection

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The testing should all be for free , currently the costs are too high and vary too greatly. The quarantine hotel is rubbish if your going directly back to your own abode. I really don’t have any confidence in their systems, they should be minimising contact their end ..
Why should the tax payer pay for people to have “free” tests when they choose to go on holiday?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Why should the tax payer pay for people to have “free” tests when they choose to go on holiday?

Its in the govt’s best interest to incentivise people to get tested, potentially limiting the number of people that end up in hospital and thus being a greater burden on the state.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m sure you’ll be able to put them on expenses.
Yup, and there is a tax inefficiency there. To be honest I want easy access and I am not quite sure what the difference is between a free NHS lat flow and a fit to fly kit that is a lat flow ? Apart from £20 …

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's certainly turned us into a load of whinging 'poms' as the Aussies would say.

There's no logical argument against taking the proper actions: get jabbed, keep a sensible distance and in busy places wear a mask.

If you travel for pleasure it's you risk and your costs, suck it up or don't go. If you must travel for business follow professional actions as the business should have procedures and mechanisms to meet any costs if it takes a bit longer than normal so what: it's a pandemic.

D-S

Visit site
It's certainly turned us into a load of whinging 'poms' as the Aussies would say.

There's no logical argument against taking the proper actions: get jabbed, keep a sensible distance and in busy places wear a mask.

If you travel for pleasure it's you risk and your costs, suck it up or don't go. If you must travel for business follow professional actions as the business should have procedures and mechanisms to meet any costs if it takes a bit longer than normal so what: it's a pandemic.
No chance to ‘whinge’ in Aus now though, they’ve turned it into some sort of police state.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd read Chasing the scream by Johann Hari.

Addiction is a chronic illness, shall we tell depressed people to just stop being sad?

Hari is making a bit of a career out of this stuff on depression. It is very rare for someone, speaking from their very personal and individual circumstances, to identify insights that extend far beyond themselves, and sometimes not even that, and especially not if it involves theorising about the implications of brain biochemistry and the effectiveness of anti-depressants, which is rather complicated. Hari does not seem to be an exception to this generalisation. His crusade may well be well-intentioned, or it may be more opportunistic, who knows?

There are a range of treatments available in depression, and some essentially do tell (or rather help) people to stop just being sad, although that is more at the soft end of depression. Hari may never have experienced, or seen, hard-core catatonic depression, but that takes a bit more input and needs strong medicines and sometimes volts.

In my opinion, there is always a degree of choice and behaviour with addictions. Some people are better able to control their behaviour than others, but simply blaming bad behaviour on "the disease" is a bit of a cop-out and there needs to be an element of personal responsibility, whether that is alcohol, hard drugs or a diabetic eating too many pies.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I've just had my booster. Feeling fine so far, just a slightly sore arm. It was quite quiet when I went. I expected it to be busier.
Looking at the previous discussions on non vaccinated people going into hospital with COVID, these people by their own stupidity, gullibility, arrogance, selfishness, etc. are taking up spaces which should be used by people with critical illnesses. If I was s doctor or nurse in this situation, I'd be feeling angry and frustrated with these idiots. If they had taken the vaccination, it's a lot less likely that they would be taking you these valuable beds.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just had my booster. Feeling fine so far, just a slightly sore arm. It was quite quiet when I went. I expected it to be busier.
Looking at the previous discussions on non vaccinated people going into hospital with COVID, these people by their own stupidity, gullibility, arrogance, selfishness, etc. are taking up spaces which should be used by people with critical illnesses. If I was s doctor or nurse in this situation, I'd be feeling angry and frustrated with these idiots. If they had taken the vaccination, it's a lot less likely that they would be taking you these valuable beds.

They are!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just looked through my options now, Prenetics don’t ship outside the U.K., so it is a case of buying a couple of tests and packing them. Total Swedish cost is £140 + Uber’s to get there … I am sure this is not the right thing to say, but it doesn’t feel like it’s about health, just a select few making a huge profit .

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just looked through my options now, Prenetics don’t ship outside the U.K., so it is a case of buying a couple of tests and packing them. Total Swedish cost is £140 + Uber’s to get there … I am sure this is not the right thing to say, but it doesn’t feel like it’s about health, just a select few making a huge profit .
Not sure it’s about profit, more to do with not really knowing what is best so go with the easy option of public opinion. Waiting for Austria to decide what way they are going to jump.