Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Very encouraging figures showing just how good the vaccines are at reducing the risk of death. For the 80+ age group 545 cases in the unvaccinated with 155 deaths so 1 in 3.5 of those cases led to death. For the vaccinated 10087 cases and 928 deaths so 1 in 11 of those cases leading to a death. For the 70-79 age group 910 cases and 129 deaths in unvaccinated or 1 in 7, 22270 cases and 428 deaths in vaccinated, or 1 in 52.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very encouraging figures showing just how good the vaccines are at reducing the risk of death. For the 80+ age group 545 cases in the unvaccinated with 155 deaths so 1 in 3.5 of those cases led to death. For the vaccinated 10087 cases and 928 deaths so 1 in 11 of those cases leading to a death. For the 70-79 age group 910 cases and 129 deaths in unvaccinated or 1 in 7, 22270 cases and 428 deaths in vaccinated, or 1 in 52.

Having looked at the stats for the younger age groups the effect of the vaccine is still equally impressive. For those unvaccinated in the 30-39 age group 33986 cases and 31 deaths (1 in 1096). For those vaccinated 43004 cases and 8 deaths (1 in 5375). In the unvaccinated 40-49 age group 15106 cases and 54 deaths (1 in 279). For the vaccinated 67349 cases and 27 deaths (1 in 2494).

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is a post from an ITU Consultant currently treating Covid patients posted on a medical website. This is a speech you don't want to be on the wrong end of.

Hello, I'm Dr X, I'm the ITU consultant looking after you today.

You've been really brave with this mask and you've done really well. I gather turning on your front was uncomfortable, but it did raise your oxygen levels for a while. I'm afraid it seems to have stopped working now.

You're on the highest pressure and the most oxygen we can give through this tight mask, so I think I have to be honest and say the only option left is to pop you off to sleep and put you on a ventilator. Yes, I know you've heard that they kill people but that's not true, it's that very severely ill people sometimes don't survive. You'll let us do it then?

You're just holding on right now and you could need the ventilator quite suddenly at any moment. It's really important you speak to your children and your partner, because you won't be able to for quite a while. No, it could be weeks. I will do everything I can to prevent that but there is a chance you might not wake up again, but I promise you'll never be on your own and we'll speak to your family as much as we can. You should make sure your other half knows how to access everything like bills and things like that because you won't be able to. We'll wake you up as soon as we can but it will take a long time to get over this, many months.

We're giving you everything we can but these things you've heard about don't work. I won't hold any treatments back that I know do good. Some of these things do harm, so we don't use them. Yes, I can talk to your kids and explain. No, they can't visit, this isn't a safe place for children and there are other patients with Covid here. There's nothing to be gained punishing yourself about the vaccine now, that has happened and we are where we are.

I know you saw someone in the next bed go on a ventilator, and you're right, they did pass away this morning. I'm sorry, but they had some medical problems you don't, so please don't think it has to be the same for you.

I promise we'll look after you, either me or one of my colleagues will be here every day and every night.

Move to next bed space. Repeat.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is a post from an ITU Consultant currently treating Covid patients posted on a medical website. This is a speech you don't want to be on the wrong end of.

Hello, I'm Dr X, I'm the ITU consultant looking after you today.

You've been really brave with this mask and you've done really well. I gather turning on your front was uncomfortable, but it did raise your oxygen levels for a while. I'm afraid it seems to have stopped working now.

You're on the highest pressure and the most oxygen we can give through this tight mask, so I think I have to be honest and say the only option left is to pop you off to sleep and put you on a ventilator. Yes, I know you've heard that they kill people but that's not true, it's that very severely ill people sometimes don't survive. You'll let us do it then?

You're just holding on right now and you could need the ventilator quite suddenly at any moment. It's really important you speak to your children and your partner, because you won't be able to for quite a while. No, it could be weeks. I will do everything I can to prevent that but there is a chance you might not wake up again, but I promise you'll never be on your own and we'll speak to your family as much as we can. You should make sure your other half knows how to access everything like bills and things like that because you won't be able to. We'll wake you up as soon as we can but it will take a long time to get over this, many months.

We're giving you everything we can but these things you've heard about don't work. I won't hold any treatments back that I know do good. Some of these things do harm, so we don't use them. Yes, I can talk to your kids and explain. No, they can't visit, this isn't a safe place for children and there are other patients with Covid here. There's nothing to be gained punishing yourself about the vaccine now, that has happened and we are where we are.

I know you saw someone in the next bed go on a ventilator, and you're right, they did pass away this morning. I'm sorry, but they had some medical problems you don't, so please don't think it has to be the same for you.

I promise we'll look after you, either me or one of my colleagues will be here every day and every night.

Move to next bed space. Repeat.
How can I copy and save this, just this 1 post, to share to all of my anti vax [ ex ] friends ??

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Some on here may say foolish but we have booked a holiday to Spain. it is quiet where we are going hopefully but what a challenge. Filled in the form for entry into Spain but have to wait until,48 hours before departure to complete. Try to find somebody to carry out Antigen test whilst abroad before return. Finally the PCR test on day 2 upon return. We now find after we have done the test we have to take it a round trip of around 100 miles or a Motorway service station to drop it of.

Will not be doing this but if we do not send the test who will know but it must be difficult to monitor? Also I was told the “post box” at The service Station is usually full..
2. we have paid our money with Rndox. The 2 tests are numbered sequentially. What is to stop people if they go away again to add say 1000 numbers on.

It all seems “hit and miss” to me which is disappointing

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks like it’s kicked off at the school, kids with siblings in different classes is causing the spreading.
Not so happy with how it’s being handled and some parents not really taking the care required.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not sure what benefits repealing the Coronavirus Act will have for us, and not sure if at same time scrapping vaccine passports for nightclubs, due to come in vey soon, is on the cards when just a day or so ago the culture sec was saying they might need to be extended beyond nightclubs…

I’m sure the grown ups know what’s what and why, but I’m currently not sure and a bit confused - especially given current transmission rates. I guess hospitalisation and death numbers must be considered to be at acceptable levels.

Note to all who can either read my mind, or read what is in the white space between the words and lines, there is no implied or actual criticism, neither for nor against, what I am hearing may come to pass. I’m just seeking clarification.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We've cancelled a trip to Cyprus due in a couple of weeks. Luckily they changed our flight to an earlier time and therefore we got a full refund ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks like it’s kicked off at the school, kids with siblings in different classes is causing the spreading.
Not so happy with how it’s being handled and some parents not really taking the care required.
My daughters a teacher , just in her class she has sent 12 kids home .
Two positive cases .
She is now anxious about bringing it home again.

D

Deleted member 15344

A positive case within the daughters reception class - no doubt it’s going to go through the schools again

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes several cases now, but it’s also got a 5 day gestation period… going to be a tough one. We have lateral flow test, boy is or has been good and had his test, will do it regularly.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
My daughters a teacher , just in her class she has sent 12 kids home .
Two positive cases .
She is now anxious about bringing it home again.

Took the grand sproggs to school today, the first time since the new school year started. There were 3 adults with masks on. Me and Missis T and one other woman. Me thinks schools could be a Covid time bomb.

That said, our local paper has said how busy A and E is in our area. I already knew that with my lad going last week. People are turning up with coughs and flu. A woman turned up and wanted her false nails removing.
Mansfield has a 94% increase in the last 4 weeks. My lad spent Saturday night with his pal. His Missis is in an induced coma, they have 2 kids. 6 weeks ago She told him she didn’t love him anymore. 2 weeks later she is in Hospital with Covid. Saturday he was told they have done everything they can and to prepare for the worst. She is heavily overweight with underlying health problems. She and he have not had any vaccines.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Just got the news my son has tested positive (10 years old)
Rest of us are negative, but PCR tests getting done tomorrow.
Just a bloody nightmare this now.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just seen we may go to plan ” B ‘ if the NHS is under pressure? trust me when my lad was in hospital last week, it’s under pressure already. Plan B it is then.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm certainly worried about flu season this year. I've got my first proper cold in around 18 months and it's completely floored me. Was in bed all day yesterday and looking the same today. Trying to do anything just wipes me out and I have to sit down. I assume it's because I've not been exposed to anything due to masks and social distancing that my immune system wasn't ready for this bug to get through.