Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
True but we only had a list of categories down to the over 50s until this morning. Could have gone a few routes after that including focusing on certain careers (not sure that there would have been many votes to vaccinate the lawyers first if that were the case), so nice to know that they are sticking with the age route.

There is a decent argument for prioritising certain occupations, but most of the value of that would have been a month or two ago. Now we are on the verge of going into the under 50s, it is probably more effective just to continue rather than getting into the logistical complexities of identifying all teachers, and all the arguments that follow - classroom assistants, school office, canteen staff, caretakers ....?

Mandofred

Visit site
I booked for the jab yesterday thanks to this site....but we still had to wait until 12 March. I'll take it anyway. That's about as soon as I was hoping anyway.....

I'd go outside for my second walk (hitting the treadmill instead)....but jeez....people walking all over the place. If nothing else, this last year has forced a whole lot of people to get outside for their exercise. There are places I avoid in the afternoons just because so many people are out. I've been pretty impressed with how many are out there in crap weather as well. I've been doing it all my life so I'm used to it, but I'm thrilled in a way that more have gotten out of the house.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is a decent argument for prioritising certain occupations, but most of the value of that would have been a month or two ago. Now we are on the verge of going into the under 50s, it is probably more effective just to continue rather than getting into the logistical complexities of identifying all teachers, and all the arguments that follow - classroom assistants, school office, canteen staff, caretakers ....?

My wife's school had to put forward her team to be done because of working close with disabled kids

But that prob comes under front line social care

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
While I would prefer that they vaccinate some groups earlier I think that is past useful at some point, and doing it by age is just the easiest way to do it. You are getting a good amount of teachers, bus drivers, check out personal, ... in those age groups as well, and there is no fight about group A being more important than group B, ... .
Saying that, do the hair dressers. They are seeing ALL of us in a few weeks time ;-)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
My wife's school had to put forward her team to be done because of working close with disabled kids

But that prob comes under front line social care

Possibly, but an illustration that there are lots of variations and well intentioned rules are often hard to implement. If vaccination was moving slower, I think they might have prioritised more, but now it may actually slow things down to put detailed operational criteria in place, and you run a greater risk of getting the numbers wrong and wasting time. The background risk in the population has fallen a fair bit and any teachers etc over 50 will be picked up by the current process in the next few weeks.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I booked for the jab yesterday thanks to this site....but we still had to wait until 12 March. I'll take it anyway. That's about as soon as I was hoping anyway.....

I'd go outside for my second walk (hitting the treadmill instead)....but jeez....people walking all over the place. If nothing else, this last year has forced a whole lot of people to get outside for their exercise. There are places I avoid in the afternoons just because so many people are out. I've been pretty impressed with how many are out there in crap weather as well. I've been doing it all my life so I'm used to it, but I'm thrilled in a way that more have gotten out of the house.

I felt the same last lockdown. Families out walking the footpaths around the village. I hoped it would stick but it didn't. Hopefully this time...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Possibly, but an illustration that there are lots of variations and well intentioned rules are often hard to implement. If vaccination was moving slower, I think they might have prioritised more, but now it may actually slow things down to put detailed operational criteria in place, and you run a greater risk of getting the numbers wrong and wasting time. The background risk in the population has fallen a fair bit and any teachers etc over 50 will be picked up by the current process in the next few weeks.

Hard as it is with my family (my sister is asthmatic, 31 and a school worker) she is scared but being her big brother who says like he sees it she doesn't like when I tell her I agree with the way it's being done lol

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Coronavirus has certainly made me look for new hobbies - doubt any will stick once lockdown eases and golf/gyms open but my latest - first paint by numbers for 40+ years! Could/should have put more coats on and got a bit "freelance" as it looked too blocky but certainly whiled away many hours!

View attachment 35301

My wife did a couple of paint by numbers. Did a star wars stormtrooper one that now proudly hangs on the wall of my mancave.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just back from my Covid vacc. Very positive experience at Swallowfield near Reading/Wokingham, from the guys doing the car park to the receptionists, vaccinators, in and out quickly, smoothy and reassuringly. Understated efficiency throughout. On arrival, saw a notice posted at the door saying 'Today the Pfizer vaccine will be offered', like a Daily Specials board for a pub.

No adverse effects so far, although when I arrived back, I reached for my work Windows computer rather than my Mac first. Mmm.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just back from my Covid vacc. Very positive experience at Swallowfield near Reading/Wokingham, from the guys doing the car park to the receptionists, vaccinators, in and out quickly, smoothy and reassuringly. Understated efficiency throughout. On arrival, saw a notice posted at the door saying 'Today the Pfizer vaccine will be offered', like a Daily Specials board for a pub.

No adverse effects so far, although when I arrived back, I reached for my work Windows computer rather than my Mac first. Mmm.

In my eyes, that's a very positive side effect! ;)

D

Deleted member 25172

Lol. Van-Tam was prepared today for the question from the BBC, and very eloquently is ripping Hugh a new one with his answer.

D

Deleted member 25172

He was primed and ready. Great answer with strong evidence.

Very much so. I don't think he would've gone into so much detail unless he was utterly tired of this question from smug journalists trying to be smart.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just back from getting Pfizered at Cheltenham fire station. Whole thing was a well oiled machine.

I wonder if my DNA changes now, do I get to choose the superpower I'll develop? Quite fancy turning into Wolverine.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Just back from getting Pfizered at Cheltenham fire station. Whole thing was a well oiled machine.

I wonder if my DNA changes now, do I get to choose the superpower I'll develop? Quite fancy turning into Wolverine.

You want weird bony claws to stick out of your hands? Painful every time.