Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very much so. I don't think he would've gone into so much detail unless he was utterly tired of this question from smug journalists trying to be smart.

Of all the scientists I like him the best. I get the feeling he doesn't suffer fools gladly at all, and would probably be quite useful if things turned a bit 'tasty':ROFLMAO:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lol. Van-Tam was prepared today for the question from the BBC, and very eloquently is ripping Hugh a new one with his answer.

What was the question?

Edit: Just saw it on BBC news site. It isn't a terrible question, and I have heard a lot worse. The answer I would give, and may have said something like this above is that given the pace of progress currently, it would just slow things down to do this now. I haven't agreed with the JCVI's policy on some other aspects, which I think have favoured simplicity over nuanced prioritisation, but from where we are now, just vaccinate as many as we can as fast as we can. Too much structure just slows that down.

D

Deleted member 25172

What was the question?

It was regarding teachers and why they didn’t get the jab if they prioritised education etc etc. Van-Tam had his numbers lined up comparing death rates with cab drivers, hospitality staff etc etc so by the end of it, how I interpreted it anyway, it was in no way unclear that he was sick and tired of the question as the goal was to save lifes.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Possibly, but an illustration that there are lots of variations and well intentioned rules are often hard to implement. If vaccination was moving slower, I think they might have prioritised more, but now it may actually slow things down to put detailed operational criteria in place, and you run a greater risk of getting the numbers wrong and wasting time. The background risk in the population has fallen a fair bit and any teachers etc over 50 will be picked up by the current process in the next few weeks.

I just heard on tv the argument for prioritised groups and I was leaning towards the need for it. However, having read the points here raised, I can see that we are doing it right at the moment.
By the time things have been rearranged etc, we would slow down a very fast and efficient enterprise which is succeeding beyond expectations.
BBC reports down to the 40s in some ares now.?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
His superpower is healing himself. The claws were what was done to him.

The bit I'm after is unlimited booze and cigars with no ill effects. And looking like Hugh Jackman.
No he always had bone claws as part of his powers. They only became metallic after he had adamantium fused to his skeleton; a procedure he only survived because of his healing ability.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was regarding teachers and why they didn’t get the jab if they prioritised education etc etc. Van-Tam had his numbers lined up comparing death rates with cab drivers, hospitality staff etc etc so by the end of it, how I interpreted it anyway, it was in no way unclear that he was sick and tired of the question as the goal was to save lifes.

Well, I like Van Tam, but he must expect journos to use Q&A sessions to ask questions, and this is not an unreasonable one, even if it may have missed its moment. A proper answer to the question of occupational risk is very complicated and needs to take account of quite a few bits of data.

D

Deleted member 25172

Well, I like Van Tam, but he must expect journos to use Q&A sessions to ask questions, and this is not an unreasonable one, even if it may have missed its moment. A proper answer to the question of occupational risk is very complicated and needs to take account of quite a few bits of data.

Yeah, I mean it was just my interpretation of his answer really. It just seemed like he had a few to many exact numbers in his answer for it not to be prepared, and that he wanted to put him in his place.

I may well have read too much into it!

D

Deleted member 16999

They were definitely well prepared for it, especially seeing as it was the first time it’s been asked since it was announced officially today, so a fair question for me.

Van Tam was, imo, slightly disingenious in that he only showed the infection rates comparing male teacher death against other professions over a 10 month period, schools were closed to the majority of pupils for 3 months during this period and we saw the damage done when they fully reopened.

The ONS statistics that came out last Monday showed Primary School teachers at a higher risk than nurses, in fact they were 4th out of 25 professions.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
They were definitely well prepared for it, especially seeing as it was the first time it’s been asked since it was announced officially today, so a fair question for me.

Van Tam was, imo, slightly disingenious in that he only showed the infection rates comparing male teacher death against other professions over a 10 month period, schools were closed to the majority of pupils for 3 months during this period and we saw the damage done when they fully reopened.

The ONS statistics that came out last Monday showed Primary School teachers at a higher risk than nurses, in fact they were 4th out of 25 professions.

That is what I mean, you have to compare demographics, exposure and various outcomes. Preventing teacher death might not be the only objective of teacher vacc. They could be an important source of transmission. It s a bit like the planes are safer than cars debate.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I haven't checked the numbers for our postcode for quite some time - in fact since we went into lockdown. Just looked. 4 +ves in 7 days to 21/02 and rolling rate of 47/100k - as I had hoped but didn't know - a massive drop.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Comparing transmission to hospitality workers is a little strange, as they haven't been told to continue working throughout each lockdown, nor have the been prioritized to be back to full occupation (effective the same as pre Covid).

Whilst I see it being easiest to continue with the age prioritized ratings, surely for the amount of staff in schools it wouldn't actually be that difficult to get them done very quickly

Anyway, it appears they have made their decisions and will stand by them

Btw. I'm pretty sure they get the questions in advance of the briefing, so hardly surprising that they can seem to know everything (you can't really believe that Boris, Hancock and Williamson can think on their feet?)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just back from my Covid vacc. Very positive experience at Swallowfield near Reading/Wokingham, from the guys doing the car park to the receptionists, vaccinators, in and out quickly, smoothy and reassuringly. Understated efficiency throughout. On arrival, saw a notice posted at the door saying 'Today the Pfizer vaccine will be offered', like a Daily Specials board for a pub.

No adverse effects so far, although when I arrived back, I reached for my work Windows computer rather than my Mac first. Mmm.
Gonads swelling yet ?