Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Johnson and Johnson single shot vaccine has been approved in America. Studies show that it gives 66% protection. Not sure I'd be too chuffed being offered that one when the Pfizer and AZ vaccines seem to offer much better protection.

For the less risk people in society or as a yearly booster I'd say it's a great option

Isn't the flu vaccine like 40%?

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Johnson and Johnson single shot vaccine has been approved in America. Studies show that it gives 66% protection. Not sure I'd be too chuffed being offered that one when the Pfizer and AZ vaccines seem to offer much better protection.

It it means there are huge amount of more people vaccinated, it somewhat irrelevant.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've no idea. But if I knew there was a flu vaccine that was 95% effective and a different one that was 66% effective I know which one is rather have given the choice.

Lucky that choice doesn't come into the equation

If it's 66% effective at least that's more of the population less likely to be effected full stop

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Exactly as above.

More vaccines - less hosts.
Vaccines appear to reduce transmission also, so a smaller pool of potential hosts, and less chance of one transmitting to another.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exactly as above.

More vaccines - less hosts.
Vaccines appear to reduce transmission also, so a smaller pool of potential hosts, and less chance of one transmitting to another.

As I posted a bit before I think if they were offered to the under 40s with no underlying I don't think would be a bad idea .. massive amount of people need doing and if can be done quicker only a good thing

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'd take it. That is 66% reduction at day 14, so the full effect is almost certainly not yet reached, and it is also likely that the great majority of the other 34% get a significant reduction in severity if they get Covid.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Certainly going in the right direction - but given most of us should be living pretty restricted lives with minimal contact with others - the day-to-day reduction feels painfully slow. And even assuming an increased rate of reduction in new infections, I'm thinking we'll be at about 5,000 a day by March 8th. Hope it's much lower of course but that still seems quite a high number. At least it's going down.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd take it. That is 66% reduction at day 14, so the full effect is almost certainly not yet reached, and it is also likely that the great majority of the other 34% get a significant reduction in severity if they get Covid.

Don't get me wrong, if the Johnson and Johnson gets approved here and that's the one in the needle when I finally go for my jab then it will be going in my arm. I won't be turning it down. But, much like you with your preference for the Pfizer over the AZ, I'd rather have one of those two than the J+J one.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, if the Johnson and Johnson gets approved here and that's the one in the needle when I finally go for my jab then it will be going in my arm. I won't be turning it down. But, much like you with your preference for the Pfizer over the AZ, I'd rather have one of those two than the J+J one.

I think the 66% number underplays the J&J. It was taken a bit too early, and I suspect it would be 80%+ after another week.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My mum lost her partner yesterday. They never lived together but went everywhere together. He's been in hospital since Boxing Day. Had diabetes and wasn't managing it well. He had loads of falls so was taken in to hospital to find out what was the problem. They found he had a chest infection, then it was one thing after another. Very sad we never got to say goodbye. Mums trying to hold it together but she's been hit very hard. I've spent three hours with her to chat about him today. It was very difficult as her voice kept breaking every time she tried to speak about him. I'll be raising a glass to him tonight, he'd like that.

The world has lost a very very nice man.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bars and restaurants opened at the weekend, and bowls opens tomorrow. Only 4 people per table, and the same for bowls. Numbers weren't good enough to allow movement beyond the town boundaries but that number was hit today and, fingers crossed, will be included in the weekly review on Thursday. Most towns south of us are showing similar numbers but everything north looks to be a few weeks behind. As of next week we should be able to travel down to Almeria and across to Malaga if we want to.

Where in Spain are you based? I've got a colleague that I've done a lot of work with who lived on a boat in the marina at Almeria for many years. He's recently sold it and bought himself a house in a place called Las Vertientes, just off the A92-N.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Where in Spain are you based? I've got a colleague that I've done a lot of work with who lived on a boat in the marina at Almeria for many years. He's recently sold it and bought himself a house in a place called Las Vertientes, just off the A92-N.

We're in Turre, 40 miles south east of Las Vertientes. About the same distance to Almeria.

The boyfriend of one of the women at the bowls club had a boat down there that he sold last year. He's now living with her somewhere up that way. Not sure their place is that far north, maybe Albox way.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We're in Turre, 40 miles south east of Las Vertientes. About the same distance to Almeria.

The boyfriend of one of the women at the bowls club had a boat down there that he sold last year. He's now living with her somewhere up that way. Not sure their place is that far north, maybe Albox way.

Don't think his girlfriend plays bowls. Never met her but I know she's Russian, and possibly called Irina. Funnily enough I was just having a look at properties in Spain around the Albox area. Don't think that I'll be able to convince Mrs Colch to move but being able to pick up a 5 bed renovation project for 27.5k is certainly an attractive proposition.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/102960467?currencyCode=GBP#/

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Don't think his girlfriend plays bowls. Never met her but I know she's Russian, and possibly called Irina. Funnily enough I was just having a look at properties in Spain around the Albox area. Don't think that I'll be able to convince Mrs Colch to move but being able to pick up a 5 bed renovation project for 27.5k is certainly an attractive proposition.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/102960467?currencyCode=GBP#/

This guy's girlfriend sounds Russian, she's from Liverpool.

Property is cheap, especially renovation projects. The one you've posted up isn't the cheapest. Buying direct from a Spanish agent is cheaper. Add 10% for stamp duties and fees. And if using local builders, don't use expats. They charge Brit prices.

Residencia, now the UK is no longer in the EU, is expensive. Basically, a minimum income of €27k a year - it was €9k.

Albox is a nice area but cold outside of the summer season. We can be in shorts and t-shirt down here now but its jeans, sweater and a jacket up there.