Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My parents are friends with a hospital CEO , he was saying 3 weeks ago his hospital only had 1 non covid ward now they only have 1 covid ward

Their data says the vaccine has exceeded expectations with hospitals

He says he has worked with Chris whitty , lovely man who doesn't blow his own trumpet but after every briefing goes and does the night shift at the university hospital

D

Deleted member 16999

Don't know if this has been asked elsewhere but ...

Mrs B keeps her eye on the daily vaccination numbers (she ain't got a lot else to do at the mo) and yesterday exclaimed, " blimey, that's not many!" The number was 155K (or thereabouts). So I looked up the numbers. And it seems that since the end of January there been a slight but gradual fall in the numbers being done each day (using the rolling average that is). Yesterday was the third lowest daily total, and the day before was the lowest. Only day 1 on the chart sits between the two. The peak number was 30th Jan at about 540K and its being tailling off since. The question is: Is the programme being deliberately eased, or have we hit a buffer of aome kind?
Van Tam on Sky News this morning stated there had been supply fluctuations hence the reason the numbers were down.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
My parents are friends with a hospital CEO , he was saying 3 weeks ago his hospital only had 1 non covid ward now they only have 1 covid ward

Their data says the vaccine has exceeded expectations with hospitals

He says he has worked with Chris whitty , lovely man who doesn't blow his own trumpet but after every briefing goes and does the night shift at the university hospital

Yes, I suspected he was " a good 'un "

That is good news re the hospitals thoughts on the vaccine. Now , it seems, there is real hope for this year?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It should be mandatory but they’ll need some legal team to force that through!
I can imagine the reaction when they drag a handcuffed person into a booth and hold them down while they are vaccinated.

You can't reasonably force someone to have a vaccination but you can limit their access to services if they don't.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I can imagine the reaction when they drag a handcuffed person into a booth and hold them down while they are vaccinated.

You can't reasonably force someone to have a vaccination but you can limit their access to services if they don't.
Yea that’s what I meant by mandatory; not physically forcing it on them but the restriction of things like access to public transport, flights and venues can refuse entry.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It should be mandatory but they’ll need some legal team to force that through!

The debate here swings between Human rights/force and endangering human life, which is already on the books here. Does not having the jab endanger human life? No, providing they're a hermit. Maybe the law will centre around going somewhere without the jab, e.g. a concert. That way they're not forced to have, just not allowed somewhere if they haven't.

Anyway, that's for others to decide.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Keep your nose clean for a couple of weeks and you will be in good shape. Did they mention the appalling scrotal swelling side effect that occurs about 24 hours after the first jab?
I didn’t get that. But what about the floppy Willie? At least Pfizer sells a product that solves that ;-)

D-S

Visit site
The debate here swings between Human rights/force and endangering human life, which is already on the books here. Does not having the jab endanger human life? No, providing they're a hermit. Maybe the law will centre around going somewhere without the jab, e.g. a concert. That way they're not forced to have, just not allowed somewhere if they haven't.

Anyway, that's for others to decide.
The fact that the vaccine now appears to reduce transmission seems to be on the side of reduced access for non vaccinated (once everyone has had the opportunity). I liken it to smoking, we ban it in certain areas as the spread of second hand smoke is known to be dangerous; having people in close contact with others who we believe are more likely to spread a disiease, would appear not to be a good thing. This is the very reason we are locked down and socially distance and wear masks. This is in addition to the greater good benefit of reducing incidence and transmission of the virus which might lead to more mutation.

D

Deleted member 16999

Keep your nose clean for a couple of weeks and you will be in good shape. Did they mention the appalling scrotal swelling side effect that occurs about 24 hours after the first jab?
Yes mate, that and one bicep goes like Hellboy.:)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yea that’s what I meant by mandatory; not physically forcing it on them but the restriction of things like access to public transport, flights and venues can refuse entry.
If I choose to get drunk the landlord can legally refuse my entry into his establishment - as I could be a nuisance and/or pose a danger to his customers.

If I want to go into the pub I determine to not get drunk; if I get drunk then I accept that I may in most likelihood not get in. It's my choice to play to the landlord's rules; on his part he must not breach equality legislation and I don't see the right to not be vaccinated being written into law as an 'equality right'.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
If I choose to get drunk the landlord can legally refuse my entry into his establishment - as I could be a nuisance and/or pose a danger to his customers.

If I want to go into the pub I determine to not get drunk; if I get drunk then I accept that I may in most likelihood not get in. It's my choice to play to the landlord's rules; on his part he must not breach equality legislation and I don't see the right to not be vaccinated being written into law as an 'equality right'.
The law literally allows a landlord to refuse us entry for being drunk. They don’t enforce it because it would hurt their profits.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Being vaccinated will not be a protected category (age, gender, religion etc) in discrimination law. Most major religions have stated that taking the vax is fine so a religious defence is likely to be rejected on a public health hazard basis.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Johnson and Johnson single shot vaccine has been approved in America. Studies show that it gives 66% protection. Not sure I'd be too chuffed being offered that one when the Pfizer and AZ vaccines seem to offer much better protection.