Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
My poor eldest in isolation still because of contact with a postive test

Got permission from 111 to break it to take her hospital .. well the wife has

Broke her arm running in the kitchen

Sod going for a drive arguement the home is deadly

Ouch. Poor thing - hope she isn't too sore.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A Tier system will be used to target local infection rates and NHS pressures. It is a relaxation in regards to shops, sports, travel.

Do you suggest meeting other households inside be a priority.

We just need to keep ahead of the curve so that we don't blow it.

For me, personally, I don’t really care about shops, sports and travel. I work for myself so don’t have any contact with work colleagues which means I value being able to see friends etc otherwise I could easily get to the point where I don’t see anyone. So for me, yes, meeting other households inside is something of a priorty for me in my own situation. I appreciate that it won’t be the same for everyone, this is just for me.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Another couple of job applications done to try and get into the renewables sector in a Marine capacity, not holding out much hope but trying to stay positive ?
Cant believe it’s almost 10 months since I’ve been at sea ?
Big positive has been the time with the kids, they might disagree though ???

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
A Tier system will be used to target local infection rates and NHS pressures. It is a relaxation in regards to shops, sports, travel.

To me, meeting another household is a priority. I don't want mass gatherings or parties, just to be able to sit with another couple and have a meal and a glass of wine and chat, that is what my mental health needs.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
For me, personally, I don’t really care about shops, sports and travel. I work for myself so don’t have any contact with work colleagues which means I value being able to see friends etc otherwise I could easily get to the point where I don’t see anyone. So for me, yes, meeting other households inside is something of a priorty for me in my own situation. I appreciate that it won’t be the same for everyone, this is just for me.

Exactly, everyone has their own unique situation but it is just so difficult at the moment for everyone.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

We have been taught to protect the NHS, am positive that going from August when we had 3 deaths one day to the shocking death rates of the last month, I have no confidence in the powers that be, being able to keep pressure off the NHS in the future when it has failed so miserably in the past and present.

When have we ever been ahead of the curve since the start of this Covid ☹️

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We have been taught to protect the NHS, am positive that going from August when we had 3 deaths one day to the shocking death rates of the last month, I have no confidence in the powers that be, being able to keep pressure off the NHS in the future when it has failed so miserably in the past and present.

When have we ever been ahead of the curve since the start of this Covid ☹️
You don't seem to understand how bad it could be. There was always going to be a second spike in the winter and you can't start blaming the government for people not following rules to protect us.

If we had been put into a really strict lockdown in September I expect you would have been unhappy about that as well.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
To me, meeting another household is a priority. I don't want mass gatherings or parties, just to be able to sit with another couple and have a meal and a glass of wine and chat, that is what my mental health needs.

Pubs, bars and restaurants play (or st least played) a pretty large roll in my life meeting friends regularly. I already accept that I’m not going to be able to go back to that ‘normal’ and understand why. The next best therefore is to be able to meet them indoors. As GB says, it’s not a mass event, 6 or so having a takeaway with drinks and a chance to speak to someone who isn’t my wife or 6 year old (as much as I love them).

It will come down to our own personal levels of risk in terms of us catching it but given we’re not getting the vaccine any time soon it something I’m prepared to risk. In theory we’re not spreading to those more vulnerable as they will have been protected by the vaccine themselves.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What do you think the reprocussions will be if people are allowed to start meeting up Indoors before infection rates and hospital admissions fall to low levels, we are paying the cost now of that happening over Christmas and by those not giving a toss.

I can understand how your personal circumstances are getting to you just like they are for most of us but as I keep saying, it's not worth blowing it now.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pubs, bars and restaurants play (or st least played) a pretty large roll in my life meeting friends regularly. I already accept that I’m not going to be able to go back to that ‘normal’ and understand why. The next best therefore is to be able to meet them indoors. As GB says, it’s not a mass event, 6 or so having a takeaway with drinks and a chance to speak to someone who isn’t my wife or 6 year old (as much as I love them).

It will come down to our own personal levels of risk in terms of us catching it but given we’re not getting the vaccine any time soon it something I’m prepared to risk. In theory we’re not spreading to those more vulnerable as they will have been protected by the vaccine themselves.
The vaccine isn't going to protect society to a degree we can go back to pre 2020 ways of living for some time. I would chance a guess things will be somewhat better come the Summer but we will still probably be living under a tier system. Hopefully many areas will be in tier one and two by then.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Another 12 hour shift, another increase in patients coming to ICU and more people dying. I'm absolutely done in and I'm not even working clinically. You can see the pain and hurt in the eyes of the nurses and doctors and some of our younger and inexperienced nurse are really struggling mentally, physically and capability wise as there is no time for mentoring or tuition

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Another 12 hour shift, another increase in patients coming to ICU and more people dying. I'm absolutely done in and I'm not even working clinically. You can see the pain and hurt in the eyes of the nurses and doctors and some of our younger and inexperienced nurse are really struggling mentally, physically and capability wise as there is no time for mentoring or tuition
I feel their pain Homer. These people need all our support and gratitude, you just can't pay them enough. Take care.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What do you think the reprocussions will be if people are allowed to start meeting up Indoors before infection rates and hospital admissions fall to low levels, we are paying the cost now of that happening over Christmas and by those not giving a toss.

I can understand how your personal circumstances are getting to you just like they are for most of us but as I keep saying, it's not worth blowing it now.

I’m not disagreeing with you and also not suggesting it should happen in the coming days or even weeks. My hope is that mid February the vaccine timetable will have been stuck to them add a 3 or so weeks until the vaccine protection has kicked in. During this time infection rates will have dropped and hopefully hospital admissions with it. So basically my hope is towards the end of March.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I feel their pain Homer. These people need all our support and gratitude, you just can't pay them enough. Take care.

For the majority though, yes the money could be better but it is a calling to them and ingrained to give the maximum support and care they can. The biggest problem is how quickly people can simply deteriorate even intubated and there is nothing to be done. Yes its the same with a lot of ICU patients and sadly for different reasons many do not make it out alive or if they go to the ward, there is usually no return to the normal baseline even if they get home at all. The Covid cases though has made everyone feel far more helpless and it is that, the PPE and even the lack of families being allowed to be there that make it seem so personal but so isolating in the bed spaces and its that which is taking the toll

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another couple of job applications done to try and get into the renewables sector in a Marine capacity, not holding out much hope but trying to stay positive ?
Cant believe it’s almost 10 months since I’ve been at sea ?
Big positive has been the time with the kids, they might disagree though ???

Who have you applied to? The work in my field seems to be drying up and the jobs that are out there are paying less than I was earning 5 to 6 years ago. I've been home since the middle of October with no work confirmed at the minute. Did get a call today for a couple of months of possible work out in Taiwan in April but nothing sooner than that at the minute.

Tashyboy

Visit site
You don't seem to understand how bad it could be. There was always going to be a second spike in the winter and you can't start blaming the government for people not following rules to protect us.

If we had been put into a really strict lockdown in September I expect you would have been unhappy about that as well.

It’s difficult to explain without getting “ political” , but a second tier was always inevitable the way the Covid was being managed. How bad it was going to be was down to what we could and could not do. What I will whole heartedly agree on you with is the way that some people have blatantly broken the rules.

Tashyboy

Visit site

BBC news reported from Kings mill hospital today, our local hospital. In the last week there has been 55 Covid deaths in Mansfield and Ashfield. Covid rates are through the roof. I mentioned the other week my thoughts are with the poor sods who are in the trenches dealing with this every day. Thoughts Homer and stay safe me man.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m hoping that when we move into Tiers they bring the rule of 6 back in outdoors for the Tiers 1-3 and then something for indoors within your own setting - I don’t expect pubs etc until May maybe Mid April.

There are so many families that just need to see each other even if it’s just to give a mother or grandchild or sister a cuddle and a cup of tea or cousins to play together - there are struggles for everyone and I know I have said it before but the mental fallout could end up being as dangerous as the virus

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting interview with Pascal Soriot, the CEO of AstraZenica supporting the 12 week interval we're using for the vaccinations. Lots of other interesting stuff in there as well if anyone wants a read.

"Given the fact that a lot of countries have high hopes on the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine but now there are supply problems, does it makes sense for EU countries to give a second thought to one-dose strategy that the UK is using?
“I think the UK one-dose strategy is absolutely the right way to go, at least for our vaccine. I cannot comment about the Pfizer vaccine, whose studies are for a three-week interval. In our case, the trial we're talking about was conducted by Oxford University. We AZ are conducting the US trial, which we think is going to be ready very soon. Oxford University conducted the so-called Oxford trial in UK and Brazil, and we have data for patients who received the vaccine in one-month interval, 2 or 3 months interval. First of all, we believe that the efficacy of one dose is sufficient: 100 percent protection against severe disease and hospitalisation, and 71-73 percent of efficacy overall. The second dose is needed for long term protection. But you get a better efficiency if you get the 2nd dose later than earlier. We are going to do a study in the US and globally to use two-month dose interval to confirm that this is indeed the case, there are many reasons to believe it is the case with our vaccine. We have a different technology. First of all, when you look at level of antibody production, this is higher if you give the second dose three months or two months later, than one month later."

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2...azeneca_coronavirus_covid_vaccines-284349628/

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s difficult to explain without getting “ political” , but a second tier was always inevitable the way the Covid was being managed. How bad it was going to be was down to what we could and could not do. What I will whole heartedly agree on you with is the way that some people have blatantly broken the rules.
A second spike was always on the cards, winter and a relaxation of lockdown was always going to make that happen, it happens every winter with the Flu.

You are suggesting the problem was with the way Covid was being managed but how would you manage it?