Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Similar to when we went from little shops twice a week to a big weekly shop, and we all did it at the same time back in March.
Back then they released the stats that only 4% was hoarding, but it looked like a lot more than that.

As a kid we shopped 3 times a week for basics, everything was fresh because only the rich folk had fridges and nobody had freezers.

Glad I stockpiled on the stuff I was advised to, probably come in useful now.
This was bound to happen even before covid,
Anyone fancy some very cheap lobster. Straight off the back of a lorry I'm told ;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Our vaccine centre has been announced and will start from first week in January- believe 600 plus will be announced.

Gives some sort of shining light ahead - hard to feel like there is some end in sight but seen the promise that Easter will be normal

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our vaccine centre has been announced and will start from first week in January- believe 600 plus will be announced.

Gives some sort of shining light ahead - hard to feel like there is some end in sight but seen the promise that Easter will be normal

Will rely on the Oxford vaccine, now not due for clearance before 28-29 Dec.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Went to pick up a prescription for the M-I-L. Wasn't too bad in the supermarket but some aisles including pasta, rice and yep toilet rolls were noticeably short of supplies which I would suggest is a degree of panic buying especially with Sainsburys saying there could be "gaps" within days https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55393076

pasta, rice and toilet rolls, those well known fresh foods lol

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I know but people see these news items and statements from Sainsbury and simply grab what they can to stockpile. Not sure looking at the waistlines too many know what fresh foods (particularly fruit and veg) are

The online version of my local paper ran an article today saying there was absolutely no need for panic buying. That’s all well and good, but beneath the headline was a picture of supermarket shelves stripped bare, no doubt taken back in March.

Given a picture speaks a thousand words, this must qualify as one of the most irresponsible pieces of journalism I’ve seen all year, and there’s been some pretty stiff competition.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shortest route to hospital for me is 9 miles where I drive in and out of the neighbouring LA for about 500 yards
Other [legal] route is 12 miles.
In an emergency I know what route I shall take.:love:

Newmarket must be a nightmare with those rules apply, you continually criss/cross the Suffolk/Cambridge borders on most routes in and out.
In both England and Scotland the rules allow you to cross "district" borders. I think in Scotland its "don't without a reasonable excuse" - and going to hospital must surely be a reasonable excuse? In England going out of tier 4 is expressly permitted when going to hospital (and some few other reasons)

U

User62651

In both England and Scotland the rules allow you to cross "district" borders. I think in Scotland its "don't without a reasonable excuse" - and going to hospital must surely be a reasonable excuse? In England going out of tier 4 is expressly permitted when going to hospital (and some few other reasons)

I thought up here in tiers 3 or 4 you can't go to tiers 2 or 1. However moving between tiers 1 to 2 or 2 to 1 is ok?
I'm in 2 going to 1 today to meet my sister in law for a walk and exchange a big bag of family gifts (outside) since the planned 3 household 5 day xmas meet up window got cancelled the other day. Our lockdown doesn't start until 26th.
Is that wrong?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My lad has decided that he'll not travel from Sheffield to us in Surrey tomorrow as he was planning to do - despite him really needing to spend some time with us and away from his circumstances in Sheffield. Instead tomorrow we'll meet up at a half-way house motorway services to have a bite to eat together if we can (sitting outside) and to give him his presents and Christmas lunch (we've bought him and his g/f a prepared full Christmas lunch). He and we are upset that we can't spend more time together - he has had such a terrible year - but we accept that that is how things must be.

And good to see that my wife's hospital trust looking ahead to possible difficulties to come in the near future - she's getting the first dose vaccination tomorrow - second dose 20th Jan. Though she's now only on the hospital nursing bank - doing occasional work in a team who are not on the covid front line (though maybe everyone who works in a hospital is on the 'front line'...) it is the case that in extremis members of that team will be pulled onto the front line (as they were in April) - and so they are just making sure my Mrs is vaccinated - just in case.

Rather than wait and see what trajectory infections take after Christmas before activating risk mitigation and contingency plans - the trust are being proactive.

And so a couple of things to be grateful for in these difficult days.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whatever has happened in Sweden...does this knock the whole herd immunity approach on the head - were the supporters of the Swedish approach guilty of extolling virtues when what we were seeing was simply a false dawn...with storm clouds always just out of sight over the horizon (apologies for mixed metaphors etc)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...soars-ever-higher-sweden-wonders-who-to-blame
Has the approach worked better in the UK, Italy, Spain, France etc? Swedes managed to live their lives in relative normality, their businesses have kept going. They are having a tough time now but aren't we all?

People, not pointing a finger at you SiLH, seem desperate to deride Sweden as they tried a different approach. Perhaps they were not right but I'm not sure many countries are in a position to judge and maybe judging can only be done in 2-3 years time when we look at this in the whole?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought up here in tiers 3 or 4 you can't go to tiers 2 or 1. However moving between tiers 1 to 2 or 2 to 1 is ok?
I'm in 2 going to 1 today to meet my sister in law for a walk and exchange a big bag of family gifts (outside) since the planned 3 household 5 day xmas meet up window got cancelled the other day. Our lockdown doesn't start until 26th.
Is that wrong?
To be fair, for Scotland, I only looked at tier 4 - which said "People who live in a Level 3 or 4 local authority area in Scotland are now required to stay in that area unless they have a reasonable excuse to travel, such as work, education, or welfare reasons ..." I think there's guidance elsewhere as to what counts as "reasonable excuse" . I can't see that Doon's trip to hospital wouldn't fit that criteria. I think for zones 2 and below, you're just asked to keep journeys to other zones down to a minimum.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Has any approach worked?

I remember how people were saying how much better the likes of Sweden, Germany and New Zealand were at dealing with Coronavirus than the UK. They too are now struggling just as we are.

I don't think you can say that New Zealand are struggling the same as the UK.
36 cases in the last 7 days and no deaths in over 3 months

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has the approach worked better in the UK, Italy, Spain, France etc? Swedes managed to live their lives in relative normality, their businesses have kept going. They are having a tough time now but aren't we all?

People, not pointing a finger at you SiLH, seem desperate to deride Sweden as they tried a different approach. Perhaps they were not right but I'm not sure many countries are in a position to judge and maybe judging can only be done in 2-3 years time when we look at this in the whole?

Sweden had 5-10x the death rate of Norway or Finland, their economy didn't do any better and there is no evidence that actual mental health (as opposed to vox pop opinions) is any better.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Mrs Wedge works in a clinic at the local hospital, she received an email yesterday telling her to book an appointment for the vaccine. Being busy in the clinic all day, she didn't get the message until late on, by which time all the appointments were gone, many taken by office staff and desk jockeys, before the front liners dealing with patients. Seems a bit bonkers to me.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think it’s very hard to compare countries and the actions towards Covid

I believe we should have done things differently at certain stages and there appears to be a lot that hasn’t gone right and even without hindsight I suspect many would have chosen a different path

But places like New Zealand and indeed Australia whilst being islands are different in many ways - culture , population density and crucially the ability to close themselves off

Both were able to close all flights into the countries to contain the virus

Is that something that we could do ? I didn’t tbink so but happy to be told otherwise