Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why relegate it to the website, do the BBC not think the English public are interested in knowing the daily figures. especially at this crucial time.
The BBC threatened to remove the Scots daily Covid briefings and there was uproar.

BTW I know who Gary Linecar is but seldom watch him....Lily Allen no idea what she does. Singer perhaps?
The BBC give the figures every evening on the 10 o'clock news. Not sure which bulletin you are referring to but if you want the numbers then watch that programme.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't worry, the parents all spend their money on ipads and massive TVs apparently if that will help you sleep at night. You can't move for Range Rovers at the school drop off zone that the parents of free school meal kids are driving at our school.

And if we as a nation decided to spend money on helping to feed hungry children, money that is a minute fraction of what has been spent/wasted recently on various other stuff recently, then where will it all end? A slightly more fairer society?

As someone who visits lots of households on a daily basis and has done for 30+ years, I can assure you that there are many many families like this, they have all the latest gear whilst their little ones crawl around in s**t. I've been to houses where there's booze and fags galore on the kitchen table, but the house is a s**thole and the kids are in rags. It's not the majority no, but I've seen it far too often for it to be just a statistical oddity.
It really burns to see kids that have zero chance in life because of their parents complete inability to be decent human beings and who use the kids as an income stream in the form of benefits.

Edit:It's not a political statement, more a social one.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
And there was me thinking political threads had been banned.

As the mods always say, there's always the report button if you are sufficiently upset. Anyway, it was a comment on societal values during a pandemic, feeding hungry children during a pandemic is not a political issue as it has support from all sides.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
As someone who visits lots of households on a daily basis and has done for 30+ years, I can assure you that there are many many families like this, they have all the latest gear whilst their little ones crawl around in s**t. I've been to houses where there's booze and fags galore on the kitchen table, but the house is a s**thole and the kids are in rags. It's not the majority no, but I've seen it far too often for it to be just a statistical oddity.
It really burns to see kids that have zero chance in life because of their parents complete inability to be decent human beings and who use the kids as an income stream in the form of benefits.

Edit:It's not a political statement, more a social one.

Oops, I seem to have taken the wrong turn.

How do I get out of The Daily Mail forum and back to Golf Monthly?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And there was me thinking political threads had been banned.
Not political - simply expressing a concern for the poorest in our society and how they will cope through this. And that concerns me if it doesn’t you. If you think that such concerns are political then that’s your outlook. It’s not mine. And as far as UC being the panacea for all money concerns the poorest might have? yeh right. Try living off UC and see how it feels as an answer. A clue. It’s rubbish and very difficult. And the coronavirus tiering is going to find a lot of our fellow citizens having to look to UC to keep ticking over. It’s going to very very hard and dispiriting for them.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Why relegate it to the website, do the BBC not think the English public are interested in knowing the daily figures. especially at this crucial time.
The BBC threatened to remove the Scots daily Covid briefings and there was uproar.

BTW I know who Gary Linecar is but seldom watch him....Lily Allen no idea what she does. Singer perhaps?

CV19 stats were given in full on BBC News at Ten last night.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Deny reality all you like if it makes you feel better up there in that ivory tower.
But when you see it on a regular basis you realise that there is something amiss.
Which is maybe why there needs to be a way of ensuring that children get fed during holidays...this is about the hungry child - not the parent.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not political - simply expressing a concern for the poorest in our society and how they will cope through this. And that concerns me if it doesn’t you. If you think that such concerns are political then that’s your outlook. It’s not mine. And as far as UC being the panacea for all money concerns the poorest might have? yeh right. Try living off UC and see how it feels as an answer. A clue. It’s rubbish and very difficult. And the coronavirus tiering is going to find a lot of our fellow citizens having to look to UC to keep ticking over. It’s going to very very hard and dispiriting for them.
Where did I say it didn’t concern me?
Where did I mention UC?

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As the mods always say, there's always the report button if you are sufficiently upset. Anyway, it was a comment on societal values during a pandemic, feeding hungry children during a pandemic is not a political issue as it has support from all sides.
Of course it’s political. They even had a vote on it in the HoC last night.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Deny reality all you like if it makes you feel better up there in that ivory tower.
But when you see it on a regular basis you realise that there is something amiss.

I deny your prejudiced and condescending attitude towards genuinely struggling people, of whom there are far too many in this country.

You didn't tell us how you happen to be in so many houses - burglar, pizza delivery man, bailiff, social worker, health visitor?

If you want to tell me off-forum, you can email me at ethan@ivorytower.com

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I deny your prejudiced and condescending attitude towards genuinely struggling people, of whom there are far too many in this country.

You didn't tell us how you happen to be in so many houses - burglar, pizza delivery man, bailiff, social worker, health visitor?

I don’t think that is a real email address?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its a well documented fact that all those receiving benefits have the latest tech and go on a minimum of 2 holidays per year.

There are plenty of people receiving state handouts who are doing pretty well. There are several restaurants and bars subsidised by the public, located right next to Big Ben in London. Some of those inside the adjacent buildings earn a pretty good salary and have a few better paying side jobs too, and when they get kicked out of the jobs, often get more directorships and/or a nice ermine cloak.

D

Deleted member 16999

You also said it was the minority, and there are a minority of scum bags in all levels of society and there are children suffering at all levels as well.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
You also said it was the minority, and there are a minority of scum bags in all levels of society and there are children suffering at all levels as well.

There is a saying 'better to let 10 guilty men walk free than jail one innocent one'. Whilst the numbers are different, the principles is that we are willing to tolerate a few people who rip off the system (although on a fraction of the scale as many rich tax dodgers) if that is necessary to get to the ones who really need help.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site

Ok, please try and ditch the smug juvenile attitude for a minute.

What part of what I said did you take objection to and why? Do you really think it's not true and is just something I've read in the Daily Mail and repeated here just for kicks?
Do you think I'm just some disgruntled scrote that enjoys having a go at the poor for no reason?
I can assure you I'm not being condescending, nor prejudiced (if anything, read your post again, pot/kettle), as I actually came from a poor background and have suffered many of the shortcomings as a child that are being talked about here.
I'm genuinely baffled by your attitude, having read some of your previous postings you seem fairly normal so it's a bit odd.