Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Surely your can have and state your views on feeding kids or other Covid issues and it not be political? If not then you end up with your views being totally dictated by a political party. And last time I looked at were all free to think and comment our views on things that may well not align with whoever we vote for.

The fact is, for better or worse, that political decisions will completely impact how Covid is impacting us, or friends, families and society as a whole. If you have to run every post through a 'is this too political' filter then it's a sad state of affairs.

But necessary to comply with The new forum rules, no point in bleating about it

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If more people looked at the whole of Lazkirs post, rather than picking out specific words to take umbrage with, they'd likely come to realise that he's broadly in agreement.

Appears to me the words he's using might not be the same as others might choose, but the overall sentiment is.

Kids who need support should be given it.
Some have crappy parents.
A solution needs finding.

There are plenty of well fed kids that have crappy parents too.

Be nice to each other

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If more people looked at the whole of Lazkirs post, rather than picking out specific words to take umbrage with, they'd likely come to realise that he's broadly in agreement.

Appears to me the words he's using might not be the same as others might choose, but the overall sentiment is.

Kids who need support should be given it.
Some have crappy parents.
A solution needs finding.

There are plenty of well fed kids that have crappy parents too.

Be nice to each other

I read it in its entirety, thanks, and he is not in agreement with the way I see disadvantaged families. In your overall sentiment, a few key words, as the Americans might say, do a lot of the heavy lifting.

My sentiment is simpler:

In an era where we can throw millions and billions at private companies who do a terrible job, and we heavily subsidise MPs meals and drinks, we can afford to feed needy children over the holidays. And we can do it in a dignified and gracious manner.

Oh, and here is a recent menu from the House of Commons. Looks nice and such good value for central London. 122443867_10223450336114961_3858443155962356611_o.jpg.

Last edited:

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I read it in its entirety, thanks, and he is not in agreement with the way I see disadvantaged families. In your overall sentiment, a few key words, as the Americans might say, do a lot of the heavy lifting.

My sentiment is simpler:

In an era where we can throw millions and billions at private companies who do a terrible job, and we heavily subsidise MPs meals and drinks, we can afford to feed needy children over the holidays. And we can do it in a dignified and gracious manner.

Oh, and here is a recent menu from the House of Commons. Looks nice and such good value for central London. View attachment 33026.

Irrelevant.
Surely you can respect the right of another poster to present their view. The thread is supposed to be about how the virus has impacted you.

Give the politics and 'attacks' a rest

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can ignore Farage’s tweet.. the response makes more interesting - how we as a country feel about child poverty is eye opening. Remember these kids did not choose to be in the place they are ..

PS: did not know Farage had a soft side

I read some of those responses, along with responses to other posts from people asking for hungry children to be fed. I'm not really sure what happened to the Country I remember. Maybe it never really existed. Maybe there's always been a significant minority of people who are just downright "wrong". Or maybe, the Global events of the last few years have really allowed people to feel absolutely vindicated in having just the vilest of opinions (IMO obviously). Maybe it's time to delete social media...

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Irrelevant.
Surely you can respect the right of another poster to present their view. The thread is supposed to be about how the virus has impacted you.

Give the politics and 'attacks' a rest

Irelevant in your opinion.

As you well known, a debate on the Marcus Rashford proposal was taking place. I responded to someone who wrote a scathing post on the poor. He had the right to express that view. Disagreement is not denying his right to do so. Feel free to reserve your opinion on that if you want. The attack was his.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
T

Ten is far too late for DFT, he's put to bed very early :D.

:eek: How very dare you.:)

Actually we seldom watch 10pm news on BBC.
We do BBC at 6pm and Sky at 10pm for a bit of balance.(y) [unless there is a better alternative.]
There is a limit to the amount of state propaganda you can handle in one day.:(

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
There is a saying 'better to let 10 guilty men walk free than jail one innocent one'. Whilst the numbers are different, the principles is that we are willing to tolerate a few people who rip off the system (although on a fraction of the scale as many rich tax dodgers) if that is necessary to get to the ones who really need help.

The problem is the willingness to tolerate....etc. Can't you , and those thinking like you on this subject, see that this tolerance encourages many to join in the abuse of the system, and so it grows and grows, until whole areas become like it, and those doing the right thing rightly get annoyed at this "tolerance"
Eventually society can collapse both financially and in moral fibre, and extreme divisions grow.

We end up with all on benefits being condemned by some and all with any wealth being condemned by others.

We should condemn strongly the abusers and stop the abuse
by all who rip off the system, including the clever individuals and Companies who use lawyers to do the same thing .

It isn't enough to " pick a side" and then justify it.

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Funny how some people on here seem to think throwing money at the problem is the answer. Yes there are children out there that need help, yes there are parents out there that need help put there are also a lot of god awful parents who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near kids and if given vouchers some (SOME) would find a scam which gives them the benefit.

IMO the government did score an own goal last night but if the problems associated with bad parenting and issues around poverty in general cannot be solved by just throwing more money at it.

Having a go at someone who has to deal with the issues, and there are a few of us that do and see the good and the bad and chucking a menu up of the house of commons is a joke, we all know what happens there and its irrelevant.

U

User62651

Funny how some people on here seem to think throwing money at the problem is the answer. Yes there are children out there that need help, yes there are parents out there that need help put there are also a lot of god awful parents who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near kids and if given vouchers some (SOME) would find a scam which gives them the benefit.

IMO the government did score an own goal last night but if the problems associated with bad parenting and issues around poverty in general cannot be solved by just throwing more money at it.

Having a go at someone who has to deal with the issues, and there are a few of us that do and see the good and the bad and chucking a menu up of the house of commons is a joke, we all know what happens there and its irrelevant.

Not irrelevant, as public servants paid (and clearly subsidised) by taxpayers money they should be setting an example. We all read about the expenses scandal some years ago but this menu along with drinking after 10 just reinforces the stereotype of MPs with 'snouts in troughs' and rules don't apply. They need unfair privileges ended.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not irrelevant, as public servants paid (and clearly subsidised) by taxpayers money they should be setting an example. We all read about the expenses scandal some years ago but this menu along with drinking after 10 just reinforces the stereotype of MPs with 'snouts in troughs' and rules don't apply. They need unfair privileges ended.

Its irrelevant unless you are actively doing something about it. Can I ask how many complaints you have sent to your MP about the subject. Like poverty, unless your actively involved you only know what you read.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Let's double or even triple the MP's meal costs, that should free up some funds to tackle poverty ? While we're at it let's stop works canteens, Police, Fire Service, NHS, Civil Service, Armed Services, Pensioner Dinner clubs from any subsidised meals. Just silly posturing.

Of course children need feeding, no one here is saying otherwise,. It seems that once again people are not facing the reality: Yes there are some feckless parents who take advantage, Yes there are poor parents that put their children before themselves, Yes there are a spectrum of people between these two polar cases and Yes there are members on this site that look to play silly finger pointing games rather than using a modicum of balance and Yes I would support giving meal vouchers over the holidays.

And finally ??? to save someone their normal reply.

Last edited:

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Son and daughter in law are in isolation now as dil is displaying symptoms. They were only married in march two weeks before lockdown and she had to sheild almost straigjt away due to a compromised immune system. Although she is young fit and generally healthy any bugs she does pick up hit her hard. Extremely worried now while we await the test result

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The problem is the willingness to tolerate....etc. Can't you , and those thinking like you on this subject, see that this tolerance encourages many to join in the abuse of the system, and so it grows and grows, until whole areas become like it, and those doing the right thing rightly get annoyed at this "tolerance"
Eventually society can collapse both financially and in moral fibre, and extreme divisions grow.

We end up with all on benefits being condemned by some and all with any wealth being condemned by others.

We should condemn strongly the abusers and stop the abuse
by all who rip off the system, including the clever individuals and Companies who use lawyers to do the same thing .

It isn't enough to " pick a side" and then justify it.

The expression doesn't mean be unconcerned about the guilty or abusers, just not to hurt the innocent in your zeal to get at the guilty.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wait for one of the red rags to carry a story about a single mom living in 5 bed council house with 12 kids from 5 dads and did a trip to benidom with her new boyfriend who goes to college with her eldest using the vouchers Sunak sent her.

That will have everyone up in arms about state sponges. Unfortunately it does no favour to the other 31% of the U.K. kids population that are considered as being under the breadline.... yup 31% of U.K. kids under breadline. I am assuming that’s giving the third world something a run for it’s money
(https://www.theguardian.com/society...ases-in-england-across-the-north-and-midlands )

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Son and daughter in law are in isolation now as dil is displaying symptoms. They were only married in march two weeks before lockdown and she had to sheild almost straigjt away due to a compromised immune system. Although she is young fit and generally healthy any bugs she does pick up hit her hard. Extremely worried now while we await the test result

fingers xxxed alls ok Paul

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Friends kids at home.. he is a teacher .. and now one of the teacher has tested positive. So some parts of school in early half term but with area going to Tier 2 this week, looks like kids will be home for some time.