Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Seems to be more expert views like this as time goes on. Did they always know this and just drip fed the likely real outcome to a scared public over time to ease people into it?
Depressing read.
http://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...to-be-eradicated-sage-scientist-says-12110135
Is there anything in that article that is surprising. It is fairly obvious that there will be at least another 10K deaths and the virus will probably be around permenently but in lesser amounts. As he says a vaccination will make a considerable difference but Covid will linger on.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems to be more expert views like this as time goes on. Did they always know this and just drip fed the likely real outcome to a scared public over time to ease people into it?
Depressing read.
http://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...to-be-eradicated-sage-scientist-says-12110135

Humans have encountered and learned to live with many bacteria and viruses. Coronaviruses have been around for quite some time and this is a new one. This is the sharp end of our introduction to it, but it will get easier. People have died and are unwell, but like with flu, as newer versions or strains emerge, we will have a growing degree of residual immunity and fewer people will get it each season, possibly assisted by a vaccination, maybe even one bundled in with the flu vaccine. Living with it evermore doesn't mean some sort of constant lockdown or continual shielding of the vulnerable. We have also eliminated some viruses. Polio and smallpox used to be huge health problems. Polio is almost gone, smallpox has gone.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
How does someone (anyone) even get that far into a shop without a mask on?
You don't need a good memory if you don't get in to begin with

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How does someone (anyone) even get that far into a shop without a mask on?
You don't need a good memory if you don't get in to begin with

I am very careful because of my wife's health but I only just stopped myself entering our local chemist without wearing a mask.
Another time a woman was mortified that she had left her mask in the car and shouted instructions from the door.
An offer to borrow mine was refused with a strange look before she realised I was joking.:love:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I am very careful because of my wife's health but I only just stopped myself entering our local chemist without wearing a mask.
Another time a woman was mortified that she had left her mask in the car and shouted instructions from the door.
An offer to borrow mine was refused with a strange look before she realised I was joking.:love:

I kinda meant entry should've been denied at the door
No mask, no shopping, its not difficult

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The wife and I having to travel 10 miles to get our yearly Flu jabs on different days :mad:, because our own doctors surgery aren't doing it this year, because of Covid.
Fortunately we can drive, but some poor old souls that don't drive will need to get 3 busses or pay £20 round trip taxi trip .
GPs seem to be getting off lightly compared to hospital staff.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The wife and I having to travel 10 miles to get our yearly Flu jabs on different days :mad:, because our own doctors surgery aren't doing it this year, because of Covid.
Fortunately we can drive, but some poor old souls that don't drive will need to get 3 busses or pay £20 round trip taxi trip .
I had mine in the local pharmacy, do you have one closer.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
The same Lineker that tweeted about people being snowflakes if theyre not able to wear a mask in a shop........

then a few days later goes into a shop and doesnt wear a mask......

and then claims its because hes getting old

do me a favour, another mouthpiece who thinks he can constantly preach what other people should be doing but doesnt think it actually applies to him. Also see Lily Allen!!!!

If we were holding everyone to the same high moral standards then you may have a point.

But it is clear that old rules no longer apply. Show me anyone in power or who wants to be in power that never has made a mistake or has said one thing and done another as if the rules don't t apply to them.

So to be honest I'd be a bit more excited over people who have a lot more say and influence over society than a fried potato salesman or the daughter of someone who used to be famous in the 90s.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

Why, if pubs (serving food) and restaurants can continue to stay open, why was there a moaning restaurant owner on ITV's Good Morning today? Work is still open. Shops are open. Just what the hell is shut? Level three only blocks you from seeing family at home or in the garden. Some would see this as a blessing. I just do not get it?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If we were holding everyone to the same high moral standards then you may have a point.

But it is clear that old rules no longer apply. Show me anyone in power or who wants to be in power that never has made a mistake or has said one thing and done another as if the rules don't t apply to them.

So to be honest I'd be a bit more excited over people who have a lot more say and influence over society than a fried potato salesman or the daughter of someone who used to be famous in the 90s.

lol hes also the highest paid employee of the BBC and I expect more people actually watch/listen to him than those you are using to excuse him

I assume you wont be criticising anyone in power anymore as theyre "all at it"

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Why, if pubs (serving food) and restaurants can continue to stay open, why was there a moaning restaurant owner on ITV's Good Morning today? Work is still open. Shops are open. Just what the hell is shut? Level three only blocks you from seeing family at home or in the garden. Some would see this as a blessing. I just do not get it?

There's a surprise.

You can't meet with anyone outside your household /support bubble in restaurants in Tier 3. That may have an impact on restaurants.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I did mine at a local Boots...

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because they can’t get enough people in the restaurant to make it viable.
Due to the tier 3 rules.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
lol hes also the highest paid employee of the BBC and I expect more people actually watch/listen to him than those you are using to excuse him

I assume you wont be criticising anyone in power anymore as theyre "all at it"

Personally I think there are more prominent people with a much bigger impact on the UK at this time who could be argued to have got away with doing something that to most people doesn't seem right, then what Gary Lineker did. Or whatever Lilly Allen has done.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Personally I think there are more prominent people with a much bigger impact on the UK at this time who could be argued to have got away with doing something that to most people doesn't seem right, then what Gary Lineker did. Or whatever Lilly Allen has done.

maybe there are, but whilst he continues to exploit his role and preach to the rest of us he can expect that some of us will judge him on what he preaches in the same way he is happy to judge the masses, rather than excuse it because there are others doing worse (go on you can say Boris, we know you want to say Boris)