Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

U

User62651

Me and Mrs both have covid19 now according to Doc, a few days now but mild. Chest discomfort was first proper sign around 5 days ago, I thought it was from too many pushups or diy at my age...seriously. But 2 days ago chest tightness came again for both of us became more obvious, moreso for Mrs, only other symptoms for me are typical of a cold - little off colour but only sometimes, not all the time, teeniest of headaches and have had the odd little clammy sweat moment but no fever. Cough is barely there, just very occasional tickle. My energy is decent but I tend to crash early, wife is tired generally though. I live with mild daily pain anyway so tend to bat it off and crack on. All the CV symptoms come and go in the day. My blood glucose is good (diabetes) thankfully the libreview sensor I've had 6months now is a brilliant aid with control so I thank the NHS for that. Relieved waking up today that things are no worse than last evening, was getting worried as symptoms were more obvious yesterday, but anxiety comes from reading/hearing so much shocking news that u forget 90%+ of us will not get too ill with it. No idea where we got it, possibly before the lockdown, older kid was ill overnight about 10 days ago missing school. Mrs has a shop so an easy source for her. I thought we were being pretty thorough with isolating, contact and processes of hygiene etc. Now the feeling is pray it doesn't worsen over next few days and if that happens think maybe better to get it over with for peace of mind and hope you can't get reinfected, that aspect remains unconfirmed though I think.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
How has the Coronavirus affected me?
Not much really
I'm retired, living alone and don't play much golf anymore.
I have heating, tv and access to the whole world of media/music/films through the internet.

I went shopping yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks as I was getting low on a few things and I wore my mask and observed the 2m rule.

I'm lucky, I don't have a dog to walk, I don't pop to the village shop every day, or go driving around the countryside, in fact I don't leave my home at all.
I haven't gone mad, I'm not suicidal and I haven't suddenly become obese.
I may have put on a pound or two but I can sort that out later when this episode in history is over.

To those who have to work in health care, utilities and the supply chain/ supermarkets etc, I thank you.
Good luck to everyone, including those who are are able to work from home and to those who have the virus, get well soon.

To the others in society who insist on spreading doom and gloom, ignoring the rules/guidelines and doing what they want, stay away from my house please.
Thank you.

D

Deleted member 1740

We are all in this together, everyone has their bit to play, the NHS staff who are at the forefront, those staying at home and those in the supply chain who keep the shelves stocked.
Plus all the people keeping the stuff like electricity and internet etc going.

We just need to accept that it’s going to be like this for a few weeks and hunker down and do our bit as best we can without going bonkers ??

Unless you're rich and powerful then you get preferential treatment ?

D

Deleted member 1740

Gove caught lying about virus tests

Peston asked him at the 5pm briefing why the UK was only testing 10,000 per day while the Germans were doing 70k.

Gove blamed it on a shortage of some key chemicals.

Robert Peston
@Peston
@michaelgove
said just now that the difficulty in increasing number of #COVID19 tests was due to a shortage of the relevant "chemcial reagents". Well I've just talked to the Chemical Industries Association, which represents the UK's very substantial chemicals industry. It...
6:53 pm · 31 Mar 2020·Twitter Web App
Retweets
Robert Peston
@Peston
·
4h
Replying to
@Peston
has contacted its members, and they've said there is no shortage of the relevant reagents. So the Association has now been in touch with
@michaelgove
's office to find out what he means, because it is stumped. The Association also points out there was an industry chat with...

Robert Peston
@Peston
·
4h
a business minister today, who made no attempt to find out if there was a supply problem for the vital ingredients of Covid19 testing kits. So this question of why there aren't enough tests for the virus is an even bigger mystery. Also, if it turns out there is a shortage...

Robert Peston
@Peston
·
4h
these manufacturers are more than happy to increase their production. But they need to be asked, which has not happened. PS It was Labour MP
@Bill_Esterson
who initially spotted this gap between what Gove said and what the industry believes to be true.

Not Surprising from Gove though is it?

I like Peston, hopefully he continues with this while Hancock,Cummings and Johnson are in isolation.

Thats the last we'll be hearing from Gove, it'll be the well trained media darling Chancellor now.

Sunak is a born Thatcherite, thats been pushed into a position of serious power from relatively nowhere. You can tell they're already lining him up for the top job. And God help us all if he gets it.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

I like Peston, hopefully he continues with this while Hancock,Cummings and Johnson are in isolation.

Thats the last we'll be hearing from Gove, it'll be the well trained media darling Chancellor now.

Sunak is a born Thatcherite, thats been pushed into a position of serious power from relatively nowhere. You can tell they're already lining him up for the top job. And God help us all if he gets it.

I'm just amazed at how people are losing their minds and proclaiming the next messiah based on a very small sample size as someone seems vaguely competent. And can speak with relative authority and seriousness without sounding like an incompetent popularist eejut promoted way above their competence level based on entirely on their views on Brexit like the majority of the rest of the cabinet. You telling me Preti Patel is the best home secretary we could have had?? In the good old days this was the norm, most of the cabinet had this base level of competence, nowadays we seem to celebrate it like it's a miracle. Oh well, in the land of the blind an all that....

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Not so much affecting me but fixating me. Every time I see Dr Catherine Calderwood doing her Coronavirus update on TV she looks like someone who has superimposed a mouth over her face. The lips move but nothing else does! I pointed it out to my Missus and she agreed.
This is nothing against the doctor or the work that she and everybody else is doing, but it is now something that my eyes get drawn to every time I see her doing an announcement.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows everywhere! lovely song. Stuck in my head for some reason! ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All the staff at HID's school have been asked to log in for a conference call at 6.00 so guessing it's closing and staff redundancies afoot. I hope I'm wrong but can't see any reason to get all staff together at one time

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Gove caught lying about virus tests

Peston asked him at the 5pm briefing why the UK was only testing 10,000 per day while the Germans were doing 70k.

Gove blamed it on a shortage of some key chemicals.

Robert Peston
@Peston
@michaelgove
said just now that the difficulty in increasing number of #COVID19 tests was due to a shortage of the relevant "chemcial reagents". Well I've just talked to the Chemical Industries Association, which represents the UK's very substantial chemicals industry. It...
6:53 pm · 31 Mar 2020·Twitter Web App
Retweets
Robert Peston
@Peston
·
4h
Replying to
@Peston
has contacted its members, and they've said there is no shortage of the relevant reagents. So the Association has now been in touch with
@michaelgove
's office to find out what he means, because it is stumped. The Association also points out there was an industry chat with...

Robert Peston
@Peston
·
4h
a business minister today, who made no attempt to find out if there was a supply problem for the vital ingredients of Covid19 testing kits. So this question of why there aren't enough tests for the virus is an even bigger mystery. Also, if it turns out there is a shortage...

Robert Peston
@Peston
·
4h
these manufacturers are more than happy to increase their production. But they need to be asked, which has not happened. PS It was Labour MP
@Bill_Esterson
who initially spotted this gap between what Gove said and what the industry believes to be true.
I am afraid that in the briefing yesterday Gove came across yesterday in his usual oleaginous and condescending lecturing way...

I am struggling to keep the faith. The mouthpieces that Johnson is putting out front are doing nothing for the credibility of the message and the approach.

D

Deleted member 1740

Please don't turn this into a political thread... we have enough of those already.

I'm not...... Threads naturally evolve and my post is totally on topic. If you disagree then that's your opinion. I'm discussing post #3550 the valid points that Gove has stood on Live TV and lied to the nation.

HAGD ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am afraid that in the briefing yesterday Gove came across yesterday in his usual oleaginous and condescending lecturing way...

I am struggling to keep the faith. The mouthpieces that Johnson is putting out front are doing nothing for the credibility of the message and the approach.
Can we take the politics out of this. Far too many similar threads and don't need another being polluted and ruined.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes, I also stay at home all the time and it's not fair. I'm sure those who are having to work, often on minimum wage, to ensure we can get food and having to expose themselves to the public, therefore increasing the risk of them or their loved ones getting the virus and dying should be more greatful to those of us sat on their arses at home.

In fact next time I'm in tescos I'm going to demand they all thank me personally and I'll remind them they don't know how lucky they are to have their chances of getting the virus increased.

I'm also going to see if they are handing out MBEs for entitled morons as I think we'd be in with a chance for just staying at home.
I was more than pleased to see that our small town centre Sainsbury's now has 2m queuing marks outside; indications where to stand; inside indications where to walk to the side of aisles, and importantly - screens at the checkouts to physically separate those on the tills from the customers.

Just wish some customers (and some staff) wouldn't wander about the place seemingly oblivious to anyone else in their vicinity. Fortunately most of the time I am able to take early evasive action.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some of the posts regards symptoms clearly show that they are pretty varied and the onset is hard to quantify .. it does justify the isolation strategy.

It does look like one person’s minor sniffle/ tickly throat/ inconsistent dry cough.. could possibly be a major case for someone else. So don’t play it down irrespective of how minor you think it is, isolate.

Not sure if that has been the message but I haven’t heard it. I suppose it’s almost saying we haven’t a scooby doo about the symptoms just a lot of general ones ..

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Can we take the politics out of this. Far too many similar threads and don't need another being polluted and ruined.
This isn't politics - this is the individuals who are telling us what's going on and that we are being asked to believe and put our trust in - my comment has nothing whatsoever to do with politics of these individuals and I am not making any mention whatsoever of their politics. It's their delivery of the message that bothers me.

Bring back Rishi Sunak. I respect what he says and feel that he speaks authentically. I can believe him far more than I can such as Gove, Jenrick, Zahawi or Sharma - I just struggle with them - I do not want to struggle.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Some of the posts regards symptoms clearly show that they are pretty varied and the onset is hard to quantify .. it does justify the isolation strategy.

It does look like one person’s minor sniffle/ tickly throat/ inconsistent dry cough.. could possibly be a major case for someone else. So don’t play it down irrespective of how minor you think it is, isolate.

Not sure if that has been the message but I haven’t heard it. I suppose it’s almost saying we haven’t a scooby doo about the symptoms just a lot of general ones ..

Apparently a lost of taste and smell now seems as a key symptom with over 59% reporting these symptoms when testing positive. Bearing in mind this only came to light once we were in to the infectious stages I imagine this percentage would have been even higher had everyone been aware from the outset