Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Definitely a lot of the cars on the A329 from Bracknell heading towards the M4 each morning. Once you get past that the road is definitely much quieter and the run from there to Reading and the hospital eerily quiet so on the assumption most sensible people will be in bed if not working then you have to assume these are still key workers (though have my doubts). I do think the figures will spike and rise dramatically as self-isolation won't have taken full effect yet

Common misconception. You don’t need to be a key worker to go to work, as long as you can’t do you job at home you can carry on earning a wage.
I would be in that position if my job wasn’t on the key workers list. (Telecommunications network operations engineer)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm getting tetchy now. Someone posted on FB something about Tesco workers and others and how great they are and for everyone not to treat shopping there as a day out, to get in and out quickly. Oh yeah, that's ok for those who can go to work as if nothing is going on. And I might add, do they make sure they stay 2 meters from customers? Do they hell!!! It's us who are stopping at home and doing what the government have asked that should be treated with the utmost respect!!!!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm getting tetchy now. Someone posted on FB something about Tesco workers and others and how great they are and for everyone not to treat shopping there as a day out, to get in and out quickly. Oh yeah, that's ok for those who can go to work as if nothing is going on. And I might add, do they make sure they stay 2 meters from customers? Do they hell!!! It's us who are stopping at home and doing what the government have asked that should be treated with the utmost respect!!!!

Think you have missed the point ..these people can't work from home. They also can't afford not to work.

So what they might be spreading the illness slightly. We aren't trying to stop the spread we are trying to reduce it..however these people put themselves out in the risky areas and allows people who can stay at home to get food.

Bit of respect to them wouldn't go a miss.

If you can afford to stay home or work from home that's a privilege. Others don't have that luxury

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Gove caught lying about virus tests

Peston asked him at the 5pm briefing why the UK was only testing 10,000 per day while the Germans were doing 70k.

Gove blamed it on a shortage of some key chemicals.

Robert Peston
@Peston
@michaelgove
said just now that the difficulty in increasing number of #COVID19 tests was due to a shortage of the relevant "chemcial reagents". Well I've just talked to the Chemical Industries Association, which represents the UK's very substantial chemicals industry. It...
6:53 pm · 31 Mar 2020·Twitter Web App
Retweets
Robert Peston
@Peston
·
4h
Replying to
@Peston
has contacted its members, and they've said there is no shortage of the relevant reagents. So the Association has now been in touch with
@michaelgove
's office to find out what he means, because it is stumped. The Association also points out there was an industry chat with...

Robert Peston
@Peston
·
4h
a business minister today, who made no attempt to find out if there was a supply problem for the vital ingredients of Covid19 testing kits. So this question of why there aren't enough tests for the virus is an even bigger mystery. Also, if it turns out there is a shortage...

Robert Peston
@Peston
·
4h
these manufacturers are more than happy to increase their production. But they need to be asked, which has not happened. PS It was Labour MP
@Bill_Esterson
who initially spotted this gap between what Gove said and what the industry believes to be true.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

Yes, I also stay at home all the time and it's not fair. I'm sure those who are having to work, often on minimum wage, to ensure we can get food and having to expose themselves to the public, therefore increasing the risk of them or their loved ones getting the virus and dying should be more greatful to those of us sat on their arses at home.

In fact next time I'm in tescos I'm going to demand they all thank me personally and I'll remind them they don't know how lucky they are to have their chances of getting the virus increased.

I'm also going to see if they are handing out MBEs for entitled morons as I think we'd be in with a chance for just staying at home.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, I'm sure those who are having to work to ensure we can get food and having to expose themselves to the public therefore increasing the risk of them or their loved ones getting the disease and dying, should be more greatful to those sat on their arses at home.

In fact next time I'm in tescos I'm going to demand they all thank me personally and I'll remind them they don't know how lucky they are to have their chances of getting the virus increased.

Some people just don't understand what others have to do.

These workers aren't as lucky as I am for example

Right now I could be off work for 12 weeks minimum full pay because my wife's pregnant and asthmatic. Our work have said partners can go off and make sure we protect them by not bringing the virus home etc as we shield

Me and the wife discussed and instead I'm on my 6th night of my 7 and come home completely disinfectant the car and shower before seeing her because want to help out. We have 5 doing this out of 33 with 3 long term sick for various illnesses so it's hard enough to cover the room.

I could however turn round and go sod that I'm gonna sit and home then moan about Tesco workers getting credit for putting themselves out there

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I am a gardener can I go to one of my clients when they are out and cut their lawn?
Yes. You can also go when they are in as long as they either stay in the house or remain more than 2m away.

If you can not do your job from home then you can still go to work as long as you can do so safely. Gardeners certainly come in to that category.

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Some people just don't understand what others have to do.

These workers aren't as lucky as I am for example

Right now I could be off work for 12 weeks minimum full pay because my wife's pregnant and asthmatic. Our work have said partners can go off and make sure we protect them by not bringing the virus home etc as we shield

Me and the wife discussed and instead I'm on my 6th night of my 7 and come home completely disinfectant the car and shower before seeing her because want to help out. We have 5 doing this out of 33 with 3 long term sick for various illnesses so it's hard enough to cover the room.

I could however turn round and go sod that I'm gonna sit and home then moan about Tesco workers getting credit for putting themselves out there

It's the Donald Trump school of empathy.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
We are all in this together, everyone has their bit to play, the NHS staff who are at the forefront, those staying at home and those in the supply chain who keep the shelves stocked.
Plus all the people keeping the stuff like electricity and internet etc going.

We just need to accept that it’s going to be like this for a few weeks and hunker down and do our bit as best we can without going bonkers ??

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are all in this together, everyone has their bit to play, the NHS staff who are at the forefront, those staying at home and those in the supply chain who keep the shelves stocked.
Plus all the people keeping the stuff like electricity and internet etc going.

We just need to accept that it’s going to be like this for a few weeks and hunker down and do our bit as best we can without going bonkers ??

The hardest bit is not going bonkers

It's like groundhog Day or that weird bit of the year between boxing day and new years ... Just what do you do

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Yes, I also stay at home all the time and it's not fair. I'm sure those who are having to work, often on minimum wage, to ensure we can get food and having to expose themselves to the public, therefore increasing the risk of them or their loved ones getting the virus and dying should be more greatful to those of us sat on their arses at home.

I'm also going to see if they are handing out MBEs for entitled morons as I think we'd be in with a chance for just staying at home.

Its a rarity I agree with your comments or they raise a smile from me, but have a like off me (y)

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great point.

What about those health care workers too? Don't see them giving me a round of applause for staying at home.

The cheek of it

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Think it's going to start affecting us more soon. Mrs Wedge is a nurse in a clinic at the local hospital, they were only allowed to start wearing masks yesterday. Even then it came after one of the doctors had to argue the case with the clinic manager (a nurse), who was against it for what reason we don't know.

According to the hospital grapevine, it seems that there is at least one Covid case in every ward now. Have resigned myself to the point that we are going to get it, if we haven't already had it (did have the worst cough ever for a couple of weeks at the end of January - but that's just wishful thinking).