Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Popped in to see my 77 year old Dad on the way home from work tonight, not seen him since lockdown, he had left the garage door unlocked, I donned latex gloves and went in like a cat burglar! Met him in the garden, a cup of tea set up on a table next to a garden chair for me....him sat 15ft away in another chair bundled up with a hat and big coat! Pretty surreal really, it was great to see him, he seems to be doing ok but is a little concerned his stock of Old Speckled Hen is dwindling! I told him I’d sort it!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exposed? :unsure: And if a Government had built a facility to store and maintain 60,000 to 100,000 ventilators and paid the staff to man it, they'd have been derided as absolutely barking mad, squandering public money, not fit for purpose, you name it, they'd be slagged off for it.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Calm down calm down.... it's a report. So let's see if you change your minds when we reflect on this??

D

Deleted member 1740

Italy is being blamed.

There was a Champion's League game in Bergamo. The mayor of Bergamo was incredulous calling it a "bomb waiting to go off." .

Aye, we're a few weeks behind Italy as a country and I'm expecting the backlash anytime soon from when 3500 Madrid fans were over here in the bars,pubs,hotels and restaurants.

My other concern is we have an underfunded,dilapidated,not fit for purpose hospital that will not cope with the demand should a spike occur.

All this whilst we have brand new abomination called a hospital thanks to Carrilion and its investors.??

Nothing i cant control usually bothers me, this is beginning to be frightening.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Popped in to see my 77 year old Dad on the way home from work tonight, not seen him since lockdown, he had left the garage door unlocked, I donned latex gloves and went in like a cat burglar! Met him in the garden, a cup of tea set up on a table next to a garden chair for me....him sat 15ft away in another chair bundled up with a hat and big coat! Pretty surreal really, it was great to see him, he seems to be doing ok but is a little concerned his stock of Old Speckled Hen is dwindling! I told him I’d sort it!
Lucky you, disabled sister 270 miles away in Lincoln and Mil about the same distance in Kent, doubt if I could get that far before being stopped and discussing the whys and ware fore of necessary journey.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely a lot of the cars on the A329 from Bracknell heading towards the M4 each morning. Once you get past that the road is definitely much quieter and the run from there to Reading and the hospital eerily quiet so on the assumption most sensible people will be in bed if not working then you have to assume these are still key workers (though have my doubts). I do think the figures will spike and rise dramatically as self-isolation won't have taken full effect yet

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Apologies if it's been exposed already.....
https://truepublica.org.uk/united-k...docs-emerge-to-show-how-theyve-failed-us-all/

A worrying read as both my daughter & her partner are NHS workers in Bradford..... both very fit & high-level, healthy Cross-fit exponents..... but is that the best protection they'll have!

I don't know what the right answer is Dave. 100,000 vents? 80,000 vents? Everyone was saying how well Germany were doing but the numbers the last couple of days, and the data on the early cases suggests they might not finish as well as many people originally thought.

Doing a few numbers gives an idea of what 80,000 vents would cost. 80,000 bed spaces is the equivalent of about 80-100 hospitals at about £600m each = £48,000m. But in a pandemic a lot of wards would become ITU's. Maybe no new hospitals then? But its not just a vent in an ITU bed space. A typical ITU bed space costs £60,000. £60,000x 80,000 = £4,800m

Okay, how about staffing? Could a general nurse operate a ventilator - bear in mind on a 3 shift system covering 7 days you'd need 3 per bed + another 3 floaters between a few beds to cover weekends. You'd wouldn't/couldn't have general nurses doing it unless all nurses were trained up to ITU level. And then how would they maintain their skill levels? You couldn't rotate that many through ITU, and you sure as hell couldn't afford that many ITU level nurses.

Enough! My head hurts.

There's some mileage in looking at more equipment but no way could it be afforded to the level suggested in the report.

Okay, let's come at it from the other direction. Testing the public a lot sooner, identifying who needs intervention before they become chronic. Start with the most vulnerable and work back over. Anyone that proves positive, isolate straightaway. They'll stand a way better chance of getting better, and will get better quicker.

You can't afford the intensive care option, not even close, but addressed at a primary care level you could make a huge difference. The report is at an almost a cerebral level - the theory is great but practically its stupid. The issue, for me, is poor first intervention at a primary care level.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Lucky you, disabled sister 270 miles away in Lincoln and Mil about the same distance in Kent, doubt if I could get that far before being stopped and discussing the whys and ware fore of necessary journey.

Get yourself a van. I’ve been using one of ours rather than my car, nobody looks at you twice!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
25000 confirmed cases ( so positive tests) and total mortalities 1789.
It would be interesting to know the number of tests conducted, the geography of those tests.
More specifics about the mortalities- age, health, occupation, area etc ..
totally missing from mainstream media.
But reading the comments about vents, surely the accuracy of the analysis will help the demands and perhaps get a grasp of what could be done to reduce the need for long usage of vents..
Dunno just want a proper analysis something without the emotion or media hype but more detail

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wish they'd stop talking about the pandemic numbers of infections reaching a 'peak'. A peak in numbers suggests to me that soon afterwards numbers start dropping pretty quickly. My understanding of the 'flattening' is that we'll actually get to a plateau - not a peak - and we will stay at that level for quite some time before there is a drop off.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wish they'd stop talking about the pandemic numbers of infections reaching a 'peak'. A peak in numbers suggests to me that soon afterwards numbers start dropping pretty quickly. My understanding of the 'flattening' is that we'll actually get to a plateau - not a peak - and we will stay at that level for quite some time before there is a drop off.
Even to get to a plateau there has to be a rise or "peak" before any flattening. It was getting to that plateau with self isolation Boris was trying to achieve. It won't instantly fall. If it goes well the line will stay static with some peaks and troughs but mostly consistent until we get a shallow dip as cases and deaths fall. Definitely not a spike down

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I see a 13 year old and a 19 year old have sadly succumbed to this horrendous virus.

Genuinely is worrying how indiscriminate this disease is.

YandaB

Visit site
25000 confirmed cases ( so positive tests) and total mortalities 1789.
It would be interesting to know the number of tests conducted, the geography of those tests.
More specifics about the mortalities- age, health, occupation, area etc ..
totally missing from mainstream media.
But reading the comments about vents, surely the accuracy of the analysis will help the demands and perhaps get a grasp of what could be done to reduce the need for long usage of vents..
Dunno just want a proper analysis something without the emotion or media hype but more detail
The site below has information released from Italy, Spain, China and South Korea regarding ages (at the bottom) and a whole host of information besides. It allows you to look at graphs and compare with other countries for infections and deaths (our curves are close to Italy, France and Spain).
https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

User20204

Visit site
The flattening is only to protect the NHS being able to cope, my understanding of it is there won't be any drop off, remember they expect 60 - 80 percent of the population to get it.