Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately my brother passed away yesterday (he lived in Liverpool in sheltered accommodation) his eldest son who is his next of kin lives in Swindon.

The Coroners Office have been great and can do a lot of what needs to be done over the phone.

The manager of the Sheltered accommodation can only give access to my brothers flat to his NOK and that can’t be changed even in this current climate.

His son had therefore arranged to drive to Liverpool today and get what paperwork he needs from his dad’s flat to make the necessary arrangements with the Coroner, Funeral Director etc etc.

He contacted his local Police in Swindon to check on travel and has been told his journey (officially) does not come under the category of essential and he should not travel, then he’s told (unofficially) he could try and make the journey, but if stopped he faces either being turned back or given a warning, but if he continues and is stopped again he could be forced to turn round or fined, it’ll be down to the Copper that stops him!

Absolutely ridiculous, how on earth when the lad has lost his dad should he be faced with this dilemma.

Sorry for the rant, but this is a prime example of the confusion over the laws that have been brought in.
:mad:

I’ve searched the Government websites for any advice or way round this and come up empty, if anyone can help it would be most appreciated.
Sorry for your loss Paul, thoughts with you and yours

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'll preface this with the fact that this is a very selfish viewpoint from a position of privilege. But my daughters is at an independent school and the vast majority of parents I know are happy to still pay for the next term as long as the school are providing an education to the best of their ability, which they are. Yes it will not be as good as being there in person, but to be quite brutal about it, independent schools will on average be providing better education to their pupils than non-independent schools at this time. So the kids in independent schools will be on average, having even more of an advantage when 'proper' schooling resumes. So for parents to opt out of that is a bit silly IMHO.

I imagine if independent school pointed out that unless parents pay, the school may close and the parents will need to find a space for their kids in a system in which the best non-independent schools are already heavily over subscribed, then they may well change their minds. Also independent schools will want to hold onto their best staff and should have a war chest built up to get them through the summer term.

And you felt the need to broadcast your selfish view -why!!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
And you felt the need to broadcast your selfish view -why!!

Because I was replying to Homer who was worried about his wife, who works in an independent school, being made redundant. So I was saying how I think parents of kids in independent schools may think as I am one myself and I know quite a few, which may mean that the school may not be closing and Homers wife does not lose her job. It's all speculation and all that, but I was trying to say it might not be as bad as he fears.

Is that OK?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I'm getting tetchy now. Someone posted on FB something about Tesco workers and others and how great they are and for everyone not to treat shopping there as a day out, to get in and out quickly. Oh yeah, that's ok for those who can go to work as if nothing is going on. And I might add, do they make sure they stay 2 meters from customers? Do they hell!!! It's us who are stopping at home and doing what the government have asked that should be treated with the utmost respect!!!!

Yes, I also stay at home all the time and it's not fair. I'm sure those who are having to work, often on minimum wage, to ensure we can get food and having to expose themselves to the public, therefore increasing the risk of them or their loved ones getting the virus and dying should be more greatful to those of us sat on their arses at home.

In fact next time I'm in tescos I'm going to demand they all thank me personally and I'll remind them they don't know how lucky they are to have their chances of getting the virus increased.

I'm also going to see if they are handing out MBEs for entitled morons as I think we'd be in with a chance for just staying at home.

Its a rarity I agree with your comments or they raise a smile from me, but have a like off me (y)

Yup, and me. (y)

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm getting tetchy now. Someone posted on FB something about Tesco workers and others and how great they are and for everyone not to treat shopping there as a day out, to get in and out quickly. Oh yeah, that's ok for those who can go to work as if nothing is going on. And I might add, do they make sure they stay 2 meters from customers? Do they hell!!! It's us who are stopping at home and doing what the government have asked that should be treated with the utmost respect!!!!

Engage brain before going anywhere near a keyboard.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
New guidelines issued to cops today say there should be no 'road blocks' or routine stopping of motor vehicles. If he has any paperwork/emails then stick them in the car: I'd be willing to bet he will be fine.
Y, bumped into a couple of cops today who I play golf with mentioned the normal dog walkers laybye has the cars back and they just shrug and said they weren't able to do anything worthwhile to stop it so basically have given up, and I can't blame them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Redundancy?
What happens when it opens again

That's the point. Big fear is it's out of cash and no longer capable of operating. Happened to a similar school not far away in Camberley that's now shut their doors. Whether there is a "war chest" of a way of getting a cash injection I don't know. If not I can't see how it would be able to operate as a viable business with no fees coming in. Not to dissimilar in some ways to the fate of golf clubs at the moment

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Unfortunately my brother passed away yesterday (he lived in Liverpool in sheltered accommodation) his eldest son who is his next of kin lives in Swindon.

The Coroners Office have been great and can do a lot of what needs to be done over the phone.

The manager of the Sheltered accommodation can only give access to my brothers flat to his NOK and that can’t be changed even in this current climate.

His son had therefore arranged to drive to Liverpool today and get what paperwork he needs from his dad’s flat to make the necessary arrangements with the Coroner, Funeral Director etc etc.

He contacted his local Police in Swindon to check on travel and has been told his journey (officially) does not come under the category of essential and he should not travel, then he’s told (unofficially) he could try and make the journey, but if stopped he faces either being turned back or given a warning, but if he continues and is stopped again he could be forced to turn round or fined, it’ll be down to the Copper that stops him!

Absolutely ridiculous, how on earth when the lad has lost his dad should he be faced with this dilemma.

Sorry for the rant, but this is a prime example of the confusion over the laws that have been brought in.
:mad:

I’ve searched the Government websites for any advice or way round this and come up empty, if anyone can help it would be most appreciated.

I know we don't always see eye to eye but genuinely sorry to hear about your loss and the crap his son is having to go through to do the right thing for your brother

D

Deleted member 21258

Redundancy?
What happens when it opens again

It probably wont be opening again, a number of private schools have been struggling for a while to make 'money', its quite a tough business to succeed in.

Don't know if homers school is the same as ones up here, where you tend to pay by the term and up here they have a lot of foreign students and would imagine they wont be returning for quite a while, could mean a few close due to that alone.

The virus is hitting businesses hard already, from cashflow to profits. The furlough payments system is not up and running still and wont be until end of April at the earliest, bit like self employed payment wont be until June. Money is not really coming in from customers either and some do not have the funds to pay up front.

All very sad.:cry:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
That's the point. Big fear is it's out of cash and no longer capable of operating. Happened to a similar school not far away in Camberley that's now shut their doors. Whether there is a "war chest" of a way of getting a cash injection I don't know. If not I can't see how it would be able to operate as a viable business with no fees coming in. Not to dissimilar in some ways to the fate of golf clubs at the moment

They should still be able to furlough staff rather than making them redundant.

That’s the whole point of the scheme

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I might fundamentally disagree with Sunak's politics - however in respect of how he has spoken in any briefing he has given I sense an authenticity that I can believe in (though of course he might be talking complete b*****ks)
TBF he is talking in figures and spreadsheets!
It’s very easy spending other people’s money.
Most of the things he is talking about are fiscal .
Everyone else is just guessing at the moment, guided by the science.
So making him look decisive in the process,
Time will tell.