Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
If an extension to current restrictions is announced today I am expecting someone to explain why this has come to pass, and accept responsibility for the delta variant getting into the country and spreading as it has - causing the pain and hurt to many individuals and businesses that the extension will result in. I’m not seeing or hearing much about the delta variant causing the issues we are having in the US, rest of Europe and Scandinavia.

This moving of ’Freedom Day’ should have been unlikely and need not have happened had the delta variant been managed in accordance with the lessons that should have been learnt over the previous year.

I think you are putting too much emphasis on the delta variant part of the problem. I believe that the infection levels would have been not to dissimilar had we had only the previous " variants" around.
This is my take on it.
The virus has spread because it has been given the opportunity, whether it is this variant or that. One being a bit more transmissible puts it in the forefront, yes, but when the last level of restrictions were eased, there were bound to be some increase in infections. Of whatever sorts of variants were around.These increases tried to get a hold over all the country, but SD measures and take up on vaccinations nipped it in the bud, and began to defeat it
In the northwest it was reported there was less SD and certainly less vaccinations being taken up, so the virus got a grip there.
Previously,we had scares about the Kent, Brazilian, South African variants but they were sorted by SD and vaccinations, as I believe the Delta one is being.
What is needed in the next 4 weeks is an increase in vaccination take up in the higher infected areas and more SD behaviour.
If that doesn't happen I don't see us being any further forward towards nil restrictions.

D

Deleted member 15344

Reflecting on the briefing I don’t know what is more depressing...the message; the lead presenter; or the shambolic performance. It is utterly depressing and can’t be discussed and so I have to content myself with simply expressing how it has affected me. I am depressed by it all and dismayed for my lad and for all of those who work in events and hospitality. Grim. And surely so unnecessary.

Where you not recently bemoaning about the increase in cases ?‍♂️ So surely you can understand that why it’s deemed necessary to continue with restrictions currently.

And right now if your lad needs work there are lots of jobs in hospitality currently

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2...eive-exemption-run-full-capacity-freedom-day/

This is interesting, and on a purely selfish note makes me feel a bit better about the extension

is it just me or is this just complete BS? as a sports fan i think its great for sport and a lot of events but basically if youre running a big sport event that people want to watch, we'll call it a pilot event and you can let a decent crowd in, but otherwise everything can wait another 4 weeks (at least)

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
is it just me or is this just complete BS? as a sports fan i think its great for sport and a lot of events but basically if youre running a big sport event that people want to watch, we'll call it a pilot event and you can let a decent crowd in, but otherwise everything can wait another 4 weeks (at least)
No idea. I guess sooner or later they need to run an event of that size. The GP is probably ideal, Silverstone is massive, its all outdoors, none of the grandstands are stadium bowls so far more ventilation than a stadium, and the majority of people travel by car so no problems with people cramming on public transport. And possibly a good way to also try out a vaccine/negative test passport type thing?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No idea. I guess sooner or later they need to run an event of that size. The GP is probably ideal, Silverstone is massive, its all outdoors, none of the grandstands are stadium bowls so far more ventilation than a stadium, and the majority of people travel by car so no problems with people cramming on public transport. And possibly a good way to also try out a vaccine/negative test passport type thing?

wasnt just meaning Silverstone, pretty much every decent sport event gonna have a sizeable crowd under the guise of being a test event compared to whats being allowed in a lot of other areas, from a selfish perspective suits me but seems a little inconsistent shall we say (even compared to say a golf club asking for proof of 2x vaccine for 2 people to share a buggy)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Where you not recently bemoaning about the increase in cases ?‍♂️ So surely you can understand that why it’s deemed necessary to continue with restrictions currently.

And right now if your lad needs work there are lots of jobs in hospitality currently
I am not bemoaning the action that has been taken though I am confused how not changing things will reduce the rate of infection other than by having all our eggs in the vaccine basket increased numbers vaccinated over the next four weeks may hopefully reduce increasing transmission - which I get. What was surely unnecessary and what I was referring to was the fact that the delta variant has got into this country at the level it did to initiate this surge in infection. THAT was surely avoidable and why the extension should have been unnecessary.

And I’ll note that my lad does not need work (he has a job but government restrictions have closed that work down for the time being) and he is not complaining about the level of UC he is being provided with - though he notes that most in his situation whose job is currently closed by restrictions - are being furloughed at generally much greater cost to the taxpayer that those such as he not furloughed but having to claim UC.

My lad has a job and it was due to restart on 21st June - however this extension has just simply cancelled work he had booked for last week of June and first three weeks of July. This is work and income that is not recoverable. It is gone. Meanwhile he is accepting of what he has and will struggle along as he is until his work and job can restart. No need for another job meanwhile.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Re the delta. It's worth keeping in mind, as we had a bit of a debate about it at the time - and without the benefit of hindsight. The actual stats at the time didn't really back up certain courses of action. I think many of us had a hunch how things may progress but that's all it was. Action not based on stats are of course open to other challenges....

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
was with friends in pub earlier when news confirmed. Friend works for a small events company that hire lighting and many other things. They loaded an arctic yesterday that went out for a major contract - that will be on its way back tomorrow, 60k down the drain and further pressure to cut more jobs

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
was with friends in pub earlier when news confirmed. Friend works for a small events company that hire lighting and many other things. They loaded an arctic yesterday that went out for a major contract - that will be on its way back tomorrow, 60k down the drain and further pressure to cut more jobs

Bad for your mate. The delay was being heavily trailed for a few days. seems that is the way these announcements are done now, leak to favoured journos then public press event then tell Parliament. Talk of bringing the end date forward should be taken with a large pinch of salt, I think, but any further slippage would probably cause a revolution, because the August holiday window depends on it lifting no later than 19th July.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Restaurants and cafes in St Ives starting to close like dominos toppling due to staff testing positive.

One big issue they have is that staff shortages has found restaurants sharing staff - with what that risks. Plus 6500 police from all over the UK, delegates and media from all over the world (all I am sure not having isolated for a week on their arrival in the UK) plus a absolutely rammed town over the half-term break.

Ours for tomorrow night has just told us they have had to close, plus another two my daughter was booked in to later this week have also had to close. Not good for Cornwall.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Restaurants and cafes in St Ives starting to close like dominos toppling due to staff testing positive.

One big issue they have is that staff shortages has found restaurants sharing staff - with what that risks. Plus 6500 police from all over the UK, delegates and media from all over the world (all I am sure not having isolated for a week on their arrival in the UK) plus a absolutely rammed town over the half-term break.

Ours for tomorrow night has just told us they have had to close, plus another two my daughter was booked in to later this week have also had to close. Not good for Cornwall.

I was in St Ives a few weeks ago. Even with the terrible weather and it not being the school holidays it was rammed.
I dread to think how unbearable it must be in decent weather or the school summer holidays.
It's one of the reasons I don't particularly like going on holiday in the UK.

I'm sure the G7 stuff isn't helping much either.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I was in St Ives a few weeks ago. Even with the terrible weather and it not being the school holidays it was rammed.
I dread to think how unbearable it must be in decent weather or the school summer holidays.
It's one of the reasons I don't particularly like going on holiday in the UK.

I'm sure the G7 stuff isn't helping much either.
The girl serving us in our restaurant (just outside St Ives town itself) this evening told us she had just moved there from working in St Ives as so many restaurants are getting hit at the moment...last she heard was yesterday and nine had had to close due to covid. She had no difficulty getting the job where she is now and confirmed that St Ives restaurants are struggling getting the staff and so are sharing what they have.

What I wonder from this is what normal is for restaurants etc once the delta variant is endemic in the population - because without a lockdown current measures for the next four weeks are going to have limited impact on reducing transmission. Places are going to be closing at no notice all the time to isolate staff and customers as they are doing at the moment unless the rules are changed around what happens if someone who has been in or works in a restaurant tests positive.

It’s joining to be unsustainable chaos and disaster for the sector.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57492264

Good news and I hope it will be implemented in other areas that are potentially public facing with vunerable people
Unfortunately I guess it wont be long until some ambulance chasing lawyer comes along and proves a test case stipping employers from enforcing the requirement, coz is againts their 'ooman rights, innit...?