Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
What I couldn’t understand was when the groups came out who were priority in receiving the vaccine. At the time we had key workers. Police, supermarket workers, lorry drivers, etc etc. If they were key, why were they not priority.

I think prioritising care home and NHS staff was the right thing to do, but the more you segment different occupations and are simultaneously trying to do an age-based rollout, it starts to become administratively very messy and overall impedes the pace of rollout. You get all sorts of special pleading and people elbowing their way into priority categories to queue jump. How do you verify someone is a supermarket worker? Are they in a public-facing role etc etc etc. What if they do the odd shift in the corner shop? Better just to press ahead with age-based rollout for most.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Went to the local garage/mini-mart a few minutes ago to get a newspaper after watching the golf until silly-o-clock last night. Three young men from different vans were in there, none wearing any kind of mask. No wonder things are getting worse.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good to see that decisions are still be made using the best and most up to date of data.... :unsure:

Covid modelling that pushed back June 21 was based on out-of-date data (telegraph.co.uk)

Not out of date, different. These estimates are always that, estimates. Throughout this whole thing, one of the principles of public health has been consistently overlooked, and that is to take the more cautious number.

The Telegraph seems to think the PHE (whose data they have criticised many times) is now the absolute copper-bottomed, take it to the bank, truth. It isn't.

It is, however, the number that forms the best argument for stopping lockdown. That is not a coincidence.

I am happy with pushing back the June 21 date, even though it will probably cost me a much-hoped for foreign holiday this year.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So it looks like the OPen and the British GP are going to go ahead with full or nearly full capacity, attendees will have to prove either 2 jabs or a negative lateral flow test. I've not had to 'prove' a test result before, do they accept the home test results which you report yourself, which is obviously open to abuse, or will you have to go to a test centre for an 'official' one?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So it looks like the OPen and the British GP are going to go ahead with full or nearly full capacity, attendees will have to prove either 2 jabs or a negative lateral flow test. I've not had to 'prove' a test result before, do they accept the home test results which you report yourself, which is obviously open to abuse, or will you have to go to a test centre for an 'official' one?

Yes they do .. Im not entirely sure how

However aren't you jabbed now? Or is it just one dose?

They said you would have to provide proof of negative test

I believe (not sure) the NHS app is updating so you have to photograph the test not just say it's negative

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I believe (not sure) the NHS app is updating so you have to photograph the test not just say it's negative

Screenshot_20210619-204630.png

I clicked be part of a trail. I believe the events you go to will give you a code to be used here for tests

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ah ok, that makes life a bit easier.
Had one jab, 2nd is on the 5th of july so will be just outside the two week window, plus my 16 year old lad will need a test as well

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Ah ok, that makes life a bit easier.
Had one jab, 2nd is on the 5th of july so will be just outside the two week window, plus my 16 year old lad will need a test as well

If it’s any help mate, the Champions League and FA Cup finals required proper tests and the negative result slip had to be produced at the FA Cup final along with your ticket was the instructions from the club.

You were also asked to do the post in self test afterwards so that they could see if it had caused a spike.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it’s any help mate, the Champions League and FA Cup finals required proper tests and the negative result slip had to be produced at the FA Cup final along with your ticket was the instructions from the club.

You were also asked to do the post in self test afterwards so that they could see if it had caused a spike.

The open requires just lateral flow tests (got the email today)

Provide proof at the entry gates of full (two dose) vaccination at least 14 days before attendance via the NHS App or NHS.UK or by letter which can be ordered from 119, or proof of a negative lateral flow test within 48 hours of attendance via the NHS App or NHS.UK. Lateral flow tests can be ordered for free here;

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got back from an offshore trip on Thursday evening. Popped along to the vaccination centre yesterday morning where I'd got my first jab to see what I needed to do to bring my second jab forwards. Such amazingly helpful staff there and they asked me to take a seat while they checked if they could fit me in. Two minute wait and I was in front of the nurse rolling up my sleeve and getting my second jab. After feeling crap for two days after my first jab, fortunately I've had no side effects this time.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Far be it from me to defend Matt Hancock, who I think is an utter [redacted], but the Mail story shows their usual reckless disregard for any critical evaluation of data. The numbers quoted by PHE are very encouraging, but have been taken as some sort of absolute true statement of vaccine effectiveness, and all previous data immediately rejected. That is not a sensible approach, and I am glad the Govt have not been drawn into an unsafe conclusion. I bet the PHE experts wouldn't disagree.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I have seen a number of 75% of vaccination now to reach herd immunity. Is that anywhere close to right with the current transmission rates? Also not sure if hat was adults or population including kids.
But whatever the number is, I think we are moving towards it very quickly now.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have seen a number of 75% of vaccination now to reach herd immunity. Is that anywhere close to right with the current transmission rates? Also not sure if hat was adults or population including kids.
But whatever the number is, I think we are moving towards it very quickly now.

A herd immunity threshold of 75% suggests a R of 4. The herd immunity does not mean they everyone is safe, just that a runaway pandemic won't happen.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If a person passes on the virus to an average of four others isn't that a runaway pandemic?

I haven't got a medical background but I assume that the herd immunity figure takes that into account. For example, R=4 but 75% of the population have immunity, probably from having the vaccine. Therefore out of the 4 people that the person would have passed the virus on to 3 of them (75% = 3 out of 4) have had the vaccine and it's only one left for them to pass it on to, so in this case R is reduced from 4 to 1. This obviously assumes that the vaccine is 100% effective in preventing transmission, which with Covid and current vaccines, it doesn't. Therefore for a virus where R=4, a herd immunity threshold of over 75% would be required for a vaccine that is less than 100% effective.

But I'm sure @Ethan will correct that if I've missed or misunderstood anything.