Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wasn't being flippant, I genuinely don't know what things people are waiting for. Other than maybe holiday travel etc.
Theatre, live music, music festivals, parkruns, any gathering frankly, weddings with no limits on guests, pubs, cafes, restaurants to allow more people inside, shops not to have number limitations on them, no limits on who can come inside your house (how many people know that the max is still 6 people or unlimited if 2 households?). This is top of my head stuff

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, it does seem to have a slightly different presentation to the earlier versions of Covid. We can expect more of the same variability with future variants.

This should be all over the front pages. I can honestly say that a couple of days last week, if I had known, I would have tested but cold symptoms were not something to watch out for. Worries me that I then went about my business none the wiser.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wasn't being flippant, I genuinely don't know what things people are waiting for. Other than maybe holiday travel etc.

As has been pointed out several times in this thread, there are many businesses that cannot survive for much longer with the current restrictions in place. Their business model will have been centred around footfall etc. With their customer numbers restricted these vulnerable business will not survive indefinitely. The failure of those businesses will likely impact people who are currently Furloughed.

Whilst the impact of this pandemic has been horrific for those families that have lost loved ones, I fear that economically the legacy of the last 18 months will last a long time.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If an extension to current restrictions is announced today I am expecting someone to explain why this has come to pass, and accept responsibility for the delta variant getting into the country and spreading as it has - causing the pain and hurt to many individuals and businesses that the extension will result in. I’m not seeing or hearing much about the delta variant causing the issues we are having in the US, rest of Europe and Scandinavia.

This moving of ’Freedom Day’ should have been unlikely and need not have happened had the delta variant been managed in accordance with the lessons that should have been learnt over the previous year.

Possibly because we have a much larger Indian population than any other country in Europe and therefore had more people travelling from India to the UK carrying that variant.

1623668522360.png

Haven't seen the figures but I wonder if that's why places such as Saudi and UAE are on the red list for travel as they also have large Indian population.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
A large chunk of the US is open as normal and have been for a while. Weekly Cases and positivity are still dropping. We have a larger percentage of the population with at least 1 jab. A larger amount fully vaccinated.

Why are we different?

D

Deleted member 16999

We must remember it’s not just those business’s themselves which can’t open but the smaller buisness’s that support them.

Mate owns a small cafe in Sunderland and he is struggling despite being open, why is he struggling? The amount of workers still working from home that would use him during their working day and football supporters, he does his best business when Sunderland play at home.

If the next few months he doesn’t see a return to some sort of normality he fears his cafe will be lost after 20+ years.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
A large chunk of the US is open as normal and have been for a while. Weekly Cases and positivity are still dropping. We have a larger percentage of the population with at least 1 jab. A larger amount fully vaccinated.

Why are we different?

The US is a big place with some quite empty spaces. Some regions had lots of cases and deaths. They have less of the delta variant. So far. Their vax programme is pretty good, and is having an effect.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
We must remember it’s not just those business’s themselves which can’t open but the smaller buisness’s that support them.

Mate owns a small cafe in Sunderland and he is struggling despite being open, why is he struggling? The amount of workers still working from home that would use him during their working day and football supporters, he does his best business when Sunderland play at home.

If the next few months he doesn’t see a return to some sort of normality he fears his cafe will be lost after 20+ years.

This is what few think about. My mate and his wife lost their cafe business after the second lockdown, the viability of the business was dependant on footfall of workers and people out and about doing shopping etc.

All of their money and 27 years of their lives ploughed in to try and make it work but it just wasn't possible.

The resultant fall out from this has been severe and, sadly, tragic.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is what few think about. My mate and his wife lost their cafe business after the second lockdown, the viability of the business was dependant on footfall of workers and people out and about doing shopping etc.

All of their money and 27 years of their lives ploughed in to try and make it work but it just wasn't possible.

That is sad and I suspect that the footfall of workers may not return, at least not in the same numbers.

D

Deleted member 15344

It is awful to see businesses not getting through the pandemic and we then new “normal” the footfall at many of these areas will decrease because more will WFH

In Leighton we have had a new sports bar/burger joint open up and they are flying right now - couple of coffee shops have opened up but some clothes shops have closed ( more online )

My wife has worked at 50% pay for the past 12 months because of betting shops closed through the whole pandemic - many of those May not reopen

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK, just too many stories to no wind me up. Pretty constant stream of industries impacted by the delay stating how it will impact their business and how it is terrible. All well and good and understandable but can someone at least ask that opposing question about whether they really think that, at present, their activity of choice is advisable. Latest on the BBC stream is a wedding photographer saying that many will cancel again. A fair point and accepted but at least then ask whether he thinks it a good idea to have tens of people at weddings and receptions given the current circumstances.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Cool. I wasn't suggesting you might have been looking for fisty or fruity action, by the way. ?
My old man and his pal are enjoying getting back out to some of those country pubs from Epperstone out towards the Trent for a meal and a pint. Says they're really quiet.
Ave a feeling country pubs may well be the future for Mr and Missis T ?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
In an attempt to change my commute past COVID I have enrolled for a CBT. Turns out, so has everyone else. Next dates available at the end of July.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Is it fixed price or can you make up some of your losses?
I haven't really lost out much, the Govt self employed scheme kept me afloat.
Its the kids that are getting screwed by it.
I've got kids who started when they turned 17, are not ready for test but they're off to Uni in September
They have tests booked for November/December but they won't be able to keep up the practice unless they can find someone in their Uni town..

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Reflecting on the briefing I don’t know what is more depressing...the message; the lead presenter; or the shambolic performance. It is utterly depressing and can’t be discussed and so I have to content myself with simply expressing how it has affected me. I am depressed by it all and dismayed for my lad and for all of those who work in events and hospitality. Grim. And surely so unnecessary.