Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A & E’s have been quiet primarily because people aren’t going to them with trifling injuries and illness because they’re scared to death of catching Covid at a hospital. It really is that simple.

For far too long A & E staff have had to deal with malingerers who could have either phoned 111 or their GP. If those people are now doing what they should have been doing all along, instead of clogging up emergency facilities, then it’s a positive to come out of this whole crisis.
That's correct. It will probably return to norm though.

There's a triage systems at A&E departments that's supposed to filter out the non urgent cases but it seems that they only set the priorities and don't turn away people who shouldn't be there. I guess it's a fear of getting something wrong. Maybe there should be a fine or NHS surcharge for anyone treated who should not be there.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For what it's worth, I know plenty of younger folks who are blessed with great common sense and responsibility and many middle-aged and older people whose attitude over the last 12 months has been moronically selfish and short-sighted.
My own observations (and they are only mine) see so many young people ignoring all the basic rules of 'Face and Space' and it's most of them not a few and has been like this throughout. I do also see some older people breaking rules not not as many and not so widespread, most older people are very good.

D

Deleted member 15344

My own observations (and they are only mine) see so many young people ignoring all the basic rules of 'Face and Space' and it's most of them not a few and has been like this throughout. I do also see some older people breaking rules not not as many and not so widespread, most older people are very good.

Imagine that - someone from the older generation says that most older people are very good where as “most” of the younger people are ignoring basic rules - do you think maybe you are just being a touch judgemental and biased ?

I have seen loads ignoring restrictions and lots of them the older generation- in super markets , at golf clubs , pubs

Maybe the truth is there are people from all generations that have ignored restrictions or basic rules but the majority of the general public have adhered to the basic rules

Dannyc

Visit site
Son came in last night, he had had a fair old bit to drink. He and a pal had been watching the Chelsea game there were only them 2 in the pub for the last hour and a half. Everyone else was over the rd at another pub listening to a woman murder northern soul on the mike. They went over for a couple. It was rammed with everyone smashed. He came straight home After one. He was in at about 9.30.
He got a phone call this morning off a girl he bumped into last night. She was that smashed she asked him how she got home.
Now some pubs Ave seen have been very responsible. Others not so with there punters smashed out of there skulls that don’t know how there getting home never mind using social distancing.
I have been hearing that we will deffo have a third wave and I could not work out how and who. Listening to me lad this morning and last night Ave a fair idea where this wave is coming from. ☹️
Seriously pubs open inside with singers on and no police turn up??
Of the 4 pubs around my area only 2 are open and it’s strictly outside only with limited opening times

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Imagine that - someone from the older generation says that most older people are very good where as “most” of the younger people are ignoring basic rules - do you think maybe you are just being a touch judgemental and biased ?

I have seen loads ignoring restrictions and lots of them the older generation- in super markets , at golf clubs , pubs

Maybe the truth is there are people from all generations that have ignored restrictions or basic rules but the majority of the general public have adhered to the basic rules
Oh! What a surprise you disagree, I would never have imagined it. Are you suggesting older people are not capable to make comments on what they encounter, that's rather an odd comment but 'hey ho' you're quite entitled to it. I repeat that I see many young people not observing rules, a great number of them, if you don't see that I suggest you are either blinkered or you don't get out much. I did in fact say there were older people ignoring restrictions but not that many.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Oh! What a surprise you disagree, I would never have imagined it. Are you suggesting older people are not able to make comments on what they encounter, that's rather an odd comment but 'hey ho' you're quite entitled to it. I repeat that I see many young people not observing rules, a great number of them, if you don't see that I suggest you are either blinkered or you don't get out much. I did in fact say there were older people ignoring restrictions but not that many.

Old people blaming younger generations for causing problems shocker.

I have seen as many old people breaking the rules as I have young. I'd say its been pretty even across all age groups.
I'm more disappointed in the elderly breaking the rules, as one of the main reasons for locking down in the first place was to protect them.

The only people I know who regularly had visitors during the proper lockdowns were my neighbours and in laws. Both in their 70s.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Old people blaming younger generations for causing problems shocker.

I have seen as many old people breaking the rules as I have young. I'd say its been pretty even across all age groups.
I'm more disappointed in the elderly breaking the rules, as one of the main reasons for locking down in the first place was to protect them.

The only people I know who regularly had visitors during the proper lockdowns were my neighbours and in laws. Both in their 70s.
Young people blaming older generations for causing problems. Shocker! ?
Again, I agree there are people from all age groups breaking rules but to not notice the prevalence in young people, especially of school age is burying one's head in the sand.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Young people blaming older generations for causing problems. Shocker! ?
Again, I agree there are people from all age groups breaking rules but to not notice the prevalence in young people, especially of school age is burying one's head in the sand.

Where did I blame the older generation for anything? You are seeing what you want to see. Like most people do I suppose.

Kids are the least affected, and are sat in school together all day anyway. They are probably also the most tested grouop too.
So let the get on with enjoying being kids, they have suffered enough over the last year. (yes I know many others have too before you come back at me with that).

RichA

Visit site
I haven't conducted any objective studies, but my own anecdotal observations are that kids and young people have dealt with the last year pretty well. My wife is a teacher and we've been constantly impressed by the resilience and responsibility demonstrated by teenagers, the damage to whose education and social lives has been considerable.
The age groups I've been most disappointed in are my own (middle-aged) and older. Many people I know have continued to see friends and family, failed to properly self-isolate, ignore the face and space rules. The ignorance and arrogance of mature adults in my own family, social and work circles has left me quite disillusioned at times.
The resilience of the younger folks has given me a glimmer of hope for our futures.
We each see what we want to see, I guess.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can only speak for myself and say what I see.
I'm still out in the car on a daily basis and the people I see 'breaking the rules' most regularly are the younger ones in their teenage years.
Yes, I know, all age groups are breaking rules to some degree or other, but the ones I see doing this are predominately teenagers.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I can only speak for myself and say what I see.
I'm still out in the car on a daily basis and the people I see 'breaking the rules' most regularly are the younger ones in their teenage years.
Yes, I know, all age groups are breaking rules to some degree or other, but the ones I see doing this are predominately teenagers.

And the exchange of bodily fluids tends to happen more often between teenagers than with old fogies

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Ahh blaming children, for being children.

You and I know that SR is referring mostly to secondary age rather then primary age children.
If I had a secondary age child who was incapable of understanding the seriousness of what this pandemic is, then I'd consider him thicker than two short planks.
Or, if he deliberately ignored conducting himself to keep his family and others free from a killer disease, he would have problems.
One minute we are (rightly) praising those few great kids who have to find themselves being carers for ill parents etc, for being so adult ( that it should be the case is another subject, btw) - the next, we are told they aren't capable of knowing what's going on!

Excuses, excuses!

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
If I had a secondary age child who was incapable of understanding the seriousness of what this pandemic is, then I'd consider him thicker than two short planks.

Yeah kids are known to make great decisions, they are fully experienced and developed enough to know how to behave.

In all fairness both of your :poop: observations mean nothing and prove nothing. And I shouldn't really have bitten or expected any better.

People have been breaking the rules in all walks of life and ages. At least with children they won't end up in hospital.

I'll leave this from ONS: 41% over 80s who had received the first dose of a vaccine less than three weeks ago reported they had met someone other than a household member, care worker or member of their support bubble, indoors; this appears to contradict lockdown regulations. I'm out (y)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You and I know that SR is referring mostly to secondary age rather then primary age children.
Or, if he deliberately ignored conducting himself to keep his family and others free from a killer disease, he would have problems.
One minute we are (rightly) praising those few great kids who have to find themselves being carers for ill parents etc, for being so adult ( that it should be the case is another subject, btw) - the next, we are told they aren't capable of knowing what's going on!

Excuses, excuses!

I did see a teenage boy at the bus stop yesterday.. smoking away gobbing on the floor thinking he is cool

Just thought. Infaction