Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There have been issues in all age groups, the thing is that the younger generation tend to meet in public places (obviously as they do not have their own places) whilst the older generations are able to breach regulations from the comfort of their own home.

Without looking deeper, it would be easy to assume that it is just the younger generations. I walk past Melton skate park on my way to and from work every day and I would be hard pushed to think of a day during lockdown that there were not a least 20-30 people there, sometimes more. That would lead many to believe that it was just the kids breaking the rules. Since meeting up with people after lockdown, however, it has become clear that the older generation have also been meeting up but, by doing it at home, this is far more concealed and by no means obvious to the wider public.

You also just need to take a look on pretty much any social media platform and look at all the non socially distanced golf photos and videos. Pretty sure most of them are old enough to know better.

I believe that it is not just the younger age groups who are breaching regulations but they are the ones who have little choice but to breach them in public.

YandaB

Visit site
I do feel some sympathy for those in school. They are stuck indoors with the same 30 (ish) people all day (something that adults are not allowed to do because of the virus risk) and then are expected for the rest of the day to be outside (where the risk is lower) but in small groups. It's almost the defnition of mixed messages designed to confuse and irritate any logical thinker which youths are entirely capable of doing.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Seen various groups of people from three NHS workers to my own friend who works for the police break lockdown rules.
One thing I did notice, and was thankful for is that the local teens who usually spend there afternoons having a kick about on the Rec were never there when they weren’t supposed to be.

If you want to point fingers at people - you need one for all ages, creeds and professions.

Some of you may of not seen a soul and seen a general embrace and strict following of the rules. I have seen mostly a general not bothered attitude from most.
It’s generally down to each other’s exposure and related perception to the outside world beyond the armchair.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I did see a teenage boy at the bus stop yesterday.. smoking away gobbing on the floor thinking he is cool

Just thought. Infaction

In the way data analysis works on this forum. From your observations, we can deduct that 100% of all non old people smoke and spit thinking it makes them more attractive to the opposite sex. ?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah kids are known to make great decisions, they are fully experienced and developed enough to know how to behave.

In all fairness both of your :poop: observations mean nothing and prove nothing. And I shouldn't really have bitten or expected any better.

People have been breaking the rules in all walks of life and ages. At least with children they won't end up in hospital.

I'll leave this from ONS: 41% over 80s who had received the first dose of a vaccine less than three weeks ago reported they had met someone other than a household member, care worker or member of their support bubble, indoors; this appears to contradict lockdown regulations. I'm out (y)
So where did they get those statistics, have they asked every over 80. Come on now!

Here's a view on young people's attitudes, it's from last year but what has changed:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-invincible-ignoring-coronavirus-rules-chief/

RichA

Visit site
So where did they get those statistics, have they asked every over 80. Come on now!

Here's a view on young people's attitudes, it's from last year but what has changed:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-invincible-ignoring-coronavirus-rules-chief/
The point of an Office of National Statistics survey is that they take a suitable sample and extrapolate the results to give a vaguely realistic statistic. If they ask everyone it's a census.

The point of a commercial newspaper like The Telegraph is that they cherrypick stories that will resonate with their readership and keep them subscribing.
Not being a Telegraph subscriber, I couldn't read the article you linked because it's behind a paywall.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The point of an Office of National Statistics survey is that they take a suitable sample and extrapolate the results to give a vaguely realistic statistic. If they ask everyone it's a census.

The point of a commercial newspaper like The Telegraph is that they cherrypick stories that will resonate with their readership and keep them subscribing.
Not being a Telegraph subscriber, I couldn't read the article you linked because it's behind a paywall.
The article was referencing a report from the WHO who one might take a little notice from.

Regarding the over 80s, suggesting 41% are having their mates around for a knees up really doesn't sound convincing to me but if you want to believe that's a reason to pick them out as a major group of rule breakers then I guess it's your prerogative.

RichA

Visit site
The article was referencing a report from the WHO who one might take a little notice from.

Regarding the over 80s, suggesting 41% are having their mates around for a knees up really doesn't sound convincing to me but if you want to believe that's a reason to pick them out as a major group of rule breakers then I guess it's your prerogative.
I have no axe to grind and no evidence to single out any group, by age or other characteristic.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Coronavirus has affected me in such a way that it grinds my gears when all I read in this thread is the same old bull coming from all sides.
Its no wonder so many members post so little these days.....
Just have a bloody day off.

I'm still hopeful of the day when "forumer with entrenched view actually relents" is the headline.

Hugely doubtful though ?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OK,OK!! I give in and relent.

My! That feels so good, should have released all that pent up anger before. It really is so cool to be a cat.

Last edited:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had my second Pfizer jab yesterday. Sore arm (again) and I feel a bit 'off' and achy. I didn't sleep well with hot and cold spells. but it's a small price to pay! Fingers crossed it starts to subside soon.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had my second Pfizer jab yesterday. Sore arm (again) and I feel a bit 'off' and achy. I didn't sleep well with hot and cold spells. but it's a small price to pay! Fingers crossed it starts to subside soon.
The mrs had her second pfizer last week. Had a bit of a reaction, very sore arm she could hardly lift (not great for a pre school worker), which then went to her armpit and down into her breast. She was getting a bit worried until one of the other ladies she works with said the same, and apparently it is listed as a rare side effect. It eased off after a couple of days although she still has a nice bruise on her arm