Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mrs just been called. Jab 16th march

Mum got done yest

Only her mum left and that's our support and childcare bubbles done so safer all round especially with mum back in school next week

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
SILH, why is your wife not allowed to go over to look after MIL. For me there is a massive difference between going to a lockdown party and looking after your MIL. Currently Missis T is at her parents house. She isolated for over a week. We both had a Covid test which was negative, and Missis T has been at there house since Monday til possibly this Monday. Why? MiL had a mastectomy on weds and FIL has dementia so he cannot be on his own. I would have a word with Missis SILH, Both of you have a Covid test and get Missis SILH over to her mothers.
Her brother is currently staying at home with his mum while he looks for work having lost his job in Malta at the outset of the pandemic - unfortunately he’s pretty useless on the comfort and empathy front. It would be great if my Mrs could go up to her mums but on what grounds can she do that whilst staying within the law and the rules - because despite the behaviour of friends pushing and overstepping the rules she does not want their behaviour to give her an excuse to do likewise.

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m not sure I understand all this ‘if they get to do something that I’m not allowed to do then I have carte blanche to break the rules’ attitude. From about September last year onwards some parts of the country were allowed to go to the pub or restaurant etc. whilst other neighbouring areas were not allowed. This was irritating but comprehensible- a sort of postcode lottery that had quite an effect on quality of life. We couldn’t visit parents as they were in Tier 4, if they lived in a slightly different area it would have been fine. This whole time there has been ‘unfairness’, this may just be the last part.
Personally I would not want any vaccine passports issued before everyone has had the opportunity to have one, but someone older than me going to Cyprus in June should’t be an excuse to break guidelines that might end up harming someone.

it is not a carte blanche, just a mental attitude. Tiers or not, the general rallying call through this is that we are all in this together to protect those most at risk and the NHS. To then change that view to, we have been vaccinated so we are all right, you enjoy your lock down whilst we are sunning it in Cyprus is not ideal, especially if you then have to ask for similar commitment from the whole country in the future. Add to that the fact that travel brings about the risk of bringing in new variants before some people have had the chance to receive any protection and you have an issue.

As i have mentioned before, there is a general point of civil order as well. People are happy to wait for their vaccine now. if it become clear that getting a jab in the next few weeks would allow families to head abroad in the summer, do you not think that this may impact on people being willing to wait patiently.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m not sure I understand all this ‘if they get to do something that I’m not allowed to do then I have carte blanche to break the rules’ attitude. From about September last year onwards some parts of the country were allowed to go to the pub or restaurant etc. whilst other neighbouring areas were not allowed. This was irritating but comprehensible- a sort of postcode lottery that had quite an effect on quality of life. We couldn’t visit parents as they were in Tier 4, if they lived in a slightly different area it would have been fine. This whole time there has been ‘unfairness’, this may just be the last part.
Personally I would not want any vaccine passports issued before everyone has had the opportunity to have one, but someone older than me going to Cyprus in June should’t be an excuse to break guidelines that might end up harming someone.

A reasonable point.

My rationale (so not right or wrong) I understood the postcode lottery, contain where you can for the benefit of the majority.

I've less chance of taking a hospital bed than a double jabbed senior. After a year, I'm fatigued. I can call meetings anywhere in the world to get out of the country. I haven't. If seniors were allowed free reign to go where they please, whilst the majority that lost so much to protect them isn't allowed. It undermines the whole message to protect those most at risk.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nor do I and I do fear for what may happen in relation to people politely waiting for a vaccination when it becomes clear that people will not be able to go on their summer holiday this year whilst the older couple next door are off on the next flight meanwhile something like 90% of UK holiday places are booked for this year already and prices are skyrocketing.

Are the prices "skyrocketing"... The cost for my week in May is compatible with similar holidays I took in 2019... My lad has booked the same holidays he had cancelled last year during school hols [so peak]... The camping week was an additional tenner and a week away at a holiday camp was twenty-five...

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are the prices "skyrocketing"... The cost for my week in May is compatible with similar holidays I took in 2019... My lad has booked the same holidays he had cancelled last year during school hols [so peak]... The camping week was an additional tenner and a week away at a holiday camp was twenty-five...

Only going by local reports. May be wrong, not booked anywhere personally as waiting until later in the year when I can hopefully get away somewhere exotic.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Coincidentally, just seen this on the BBC Website

With holidays in England being given the go-ahead from as soon as 12 April, many Britons are planning staycations this year. However, a surge in interest means prices appear to be going up, research suggests.
Under Boris Johnson's road map for easing lockdown restrictions, people could potentially be permitted to stay in self-contained accommodation such as holiday lets next month.
According to analysis by consumer group Which?, prices could be an average of 35% higher this summer compared with last year.
Prices are said to be up in 10 of the UK's most visited beach destinations, including St Ives, Whitby, Llandudno and Brighton.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Going abroad could well be much dearer... I can see the cost of air travel potentially rising above what we've become used to...

I think much will depend on whether some countries reliant on tourism are going to look to subsidise some of the cost to bring back confidence.

D-S

Visit site
I’m waiting patiently for all the family to have the jab, if a few seniors go to Cyprus or not really has no bearing on my life at all - you could argue that better to get them away sooner rather than later to prevent a mad rush, high prices and full hotels and flights etc. We‘re all in this together but I want to go abroad only when it is safe and sensible for everyone going with me to do so - waiting a few weeks is neither here nor there and certainly won’t make me think that I would be happy to break guidelines and laws in future.
I also know of a couple of friends daughters in their late 20’s and early 30’s who have had debilitating problems with long COVID and so the thought of people endangering their own health by not following guidance because some elderly folks have gone to Cyprus just seems bizarre.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Coincidentally, just seen this on the BBC Website

With holidays in England being given the go-ahead from as soon as 12 April, many Britons are planning staycations this year. However, a surge in interest means prices appear to be going up, research suggests.
Under Boris Johnson's road map for easing lockdown restrictions, people could potentially be permitted to stay in self-contained accommodation such as holiday lets next month.
According to analysis by consumer group Which?, prices could be an average of 35% higher this summer compared with last year.
Prices are said to be up in 10 of the UK's most visited beach destinations, including St Ives, Whitby, Llandudno and Brighton.

I've just checked the accommodation I had last year for the same week this year it's about 10% up plus a booking fee which we didn't incur last year as it was a last minute deal... And, if the prices for what I've booked for Whitby, in May, had been a third up we wouldn't be going... As with everything shopping around is key...

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A reasonable point.

My rationale (so not right or wrong) I understood the postcode lottery, contain where you can for the benefit of the majority.

I've less chance of taking a hospital bed than a double jabbed senior. After a year, I'm fatigued. I can call meetings anywhere in the world to get out of the country. I haven't. If seniors were allowed free reign to go where they please, whilst the majority that lost so much to protect them isn't allowed. It undermines the whole message to protect those most at risk.
Why are you so age divisive, I'm sure that if the boot was on the other foot most older people would be prepared to toe the line for younger people.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not got a problem with Cyprus. What I do have issues with is that the older generation were all about 'we are in this together' when young people with a low risk of issues were locking down to protect them. Now it is 'I'm all right Jack, i am off on my Summer holidays whilst all you people who gave up a year of their lives to protect me are stuck at home'. As I have said before, people are waiting patiently for their jab, can you really see all those selfish individuals who were hoarding food and toilet rolls during lockdown 1 being so calm and understanding if it is announced that they cannot go on holiday this year until they have had both jabs.
Are they all really saying that, really!
I know a lot of older people ,being older myself, and I don't know anyone with that type of attitude. Where exactly do you get this information from. Most older people I know would do anything they could for their children and grandchildren and don't have this 'Sod you mate, I'm in the lifeboat' attitude.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are they all really saying that, really!
I know a lot of older people ,being older myself, and I don't know anyone with that type of attitude. Where exactly do you get this information from. Most older people I know would do anything they could for their children and grandchildren and don't have this 'Sod you mate, I'm in the lifeboat' attitude.

Again, too literal. That is how you could easily interpret people going off on holiday whilst others remained under a degree of national lock down restriction and lacking the benefit of having even had their first jab. Yes, my wording is intended as a typographical caricature in the same way I allude to toilet roll hoarders storming vaccination points so as they can get 2 weeks on the costas. Little bit of hyperbole to make a point, if we are all in this together, we all come out of this together and that includes going abroad on holiday.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, my mum came round for dinner yesterday as she usually does and she told us of a conversation she had had that afternoon with a friend of hers. The lady in question said that she'd had her first jab and now was ok to do and go wherever she wanted as it had said so on the TV!!!!!!!! My mum argued against her (due to us instilling what was right and wrong in to her regarding the jab etc) but the lady was having none of it. Where there's one, there's another one.

God knows where this lady has heard this rubbish ( I think she's misunderstood what was said) but it might explain why the old are out and about EVERYWHERE. The supermarket was rammed this afternoon!!!

I'm sick to death of all this.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, my mum came round for dinner yesterday as she usually does and she told us of a conversation she had had that afternoon with a friend of hers. The lady in question said that she'd had her first jab and now was ok to do and go wherever she wanted as it had said so on the TV!!!!!!!! My mum argued against her (due to us instilling what was right and wrong in to her regarding the jab etc) but the lady was having none of it. Where there's one, there's another one.

God knows where this lady has heard this rubbish ( I think she's misunderstood what was said) but it might explain why the old are out and about EVERYWHERE. The supermarket was rammed this afternoon!!!

I'm sick to death of all this.
Supermarkets are rammed with people who dont seems to be able to shop on their own. Why does it take two people to push a trolley.

Declaration of Interest (or disinterest)- I have no interest in shopping of any kind.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure I'm too happy about this twice weekly testing at schools. Is it really any good for their health having a swab shoved up their nose that often? I'm actually quite concerned for my two, I obviously want them back in school asap but at what cost to their health going forward? If they want this kind of testing regime they really should be proritising spit tests for school children.

Given what most children shove up their noses most of the time a swap is quite small.

Edited just seen all the similar comments.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Again, too literal. That is how you could easily interpret people going off on holiday whilst others remained under a degree of national lock down restriction and lacking the benefit of having even had their first jab. Yes, my wording is intended as a typographical caricature in the same way I allude to toilet roll hoarders storming vaccination points so as they can get 2 weeks on the costas. Little bit of hyperbole to make a point, if we are all in this together, we all come out of this together and that includes going abroad on holiday.
No one is storming the vaccination points to go on holiday, are they? They are going by invitation.

Regarding holidays. Who can go to the Costas will be in the hands of the Costas. Do you suggest that if someone not vaccinated is denied then someone vaccinated should deny. The lockdown for all wasn't really to protect only the elderly, lots of people of working age have been struck down or harmed by Covid.

Would I be upset if someone was able to get a holiday abroad before me due to earlier vaccination, No, not at all.