Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
More than likely. Once again it highlights inefficiency in NHS and GP admin. You get a letter informing you to book an appointment, appointment not in a convenient location so wait for GP to contact you by another letter or text. Crazy and expensive.

I would look at as a safety net system. The key is to get as many people done as fast as possible. Offering two levels of appointment minimises people missed by one or other method and allows people to choose, crudely, faster access if they are able to travel a bit, or more convenient access but it might take a bit longer. The economic cost of running both notification systems is pretty small compared to the value of pushing lots of people through. The two systems link up behind the scenes.

D

Deleted member 16999

Not got a problem with Cyprus. What I do have issues with is that the older generation were all about 'we are in this together' when young people with a low risk of issues were locking down to protect them. Now it is 'I'm all right Jack, i am off on my Summer holidays whilst all you people who gave up a year of their lives to protect me are stuck at home'. As I have said before, people are waiting patiently for their jab, can you really see all those selfish individuals who were hoarding food and toilet rolls during lockdown 1 being so calm and understanding if it is announced that they cannot go on holiday this year until they have had both jabs.
But again though, Cyprus have made a rule only based on 2 jabs, it’s not only the old who have had 2 jabs, by May there’ll be a lot of younger people who have had it, what about the Doctors or Nurses or NHS Admin Staff of all ages, are you telling them to sit on their hands or are they ok to travel?

I

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure it is indefinitely. You have until the end of this term and maybe up to the summer holidays then all staff should have had at least jab 1 and so suspect it will stop after that, if it goes on that long. Much I guess is geared to getting the kids back in school whilst minimising the impact on the improved figures from lockdown.
Fingers crossed, bit incan see it going on until a vaccine is approved for use in children. Hope I'm wrong. Our kids are having it done at school at first but apparently we're getting home kits sent out in due course

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure I'm too happy about this twice weekly testing at schools. Is it really any good for their health having a swab shoved up their nose that often? I'm actually quite concerned for my two, I obviously want them back in school asap but at what cost to their health going forward? If they want this kind of testing regime they really should be proritising spit tests for school children.

Not sure a swab is any worse than a finger and most kids have those up their noses more than twice a week.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
But again though, Cyprus have made a rule only based on 2 jabs, it’s not only the old who have had 2 jabs, by May there’ll be a lot of younger people who have had it, what about the Doctors or Nurses or NHS Admin Staff of all ages, are you telling them to sit on their hands or are they ok to travel?

I

They wait as well. We all lock down to protect those most at risk, those most at risk stay locked down until everyone can enjoy the same privileges.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
And so it goes on. My MiL’s twin sister‘s funeral just a few weeks back and a best friend of her’s died back November, this morning we have just heard that her brother died this morning - so my MiL has lost her twin sister and brother in a matter of 6 weeks or so and so she’s not in a good place this morning...and I am thinking that at the moment my wife isn’t allowed to travel to her mums and stay over a night or two to comfort and support. We really do need to all work together to get out of this terrible place that we as a country are in if for no other reason than our inherent humanity to each other - especially those closest to us - demands it.

SILH, why is your wife not allowed to go over to look after MIL. For me there is a massive difference between going to a lockdown party and looking after your MIL. Currently Missis T is at her parents house. She isolated for over a week. We both had a Covid test which was negative, and Missis T has been at there house since Monday til possibly this Monday. Why? MiL had a mastectomy on weds and FIL has dementia so he cannot be on his own. I would have a word with Missis SILH, Both of you have a Covid test and get Missis SILH over to her mothers.

D

Deleted member 16999

They wait as well. We all lock down to protect those most at risk, those most at risk stay locked down until everyone can enjoy the same privileges.
I actually agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment, I just don’t believe for one minute that is what will happen.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

I
The thing is as well Paul, that is The decision of Cyprus. If they are comfortable with that fine. But and this is a massive but. If the UK governments travel advice is contrary to what Cyprus say, or any other country then no one is leaving the country.
Which leads me onto vaccine passports. There are a few folk that are adamant that they do not want one. That’s there decision. However if Cyprus or any country will not let a visitor from the UK enter its country with proof of vaccination. Said visitor will not even get on the plane. They might not like it but if folk want to travel.The decision will be made for them.
Re older folk not travelling, or anyone that’s classed as vulnerable etc that have had both vaccines and “ should not travel”. I don’t get it. Again countries like Cyprus, there main income is travel. They like most countries economies have been devastated. Are we to seriously expect folk to stay at home when countries including the UK allow them to travel when they have had there Jabs. That said Tashyboy is staying at home for the foreseeable future.

D

Deleted member 16999

The thing is as well Paul, that is The decision of Cyprus. If they are comfortable with that fine. But and this is a massive but. If the UK governments travel advice is contrary to what Cyprus say, or any other country then no one is leaving the country.
Which leads me onto vaccine passports. There are a few folk that are adamant that they do not want one. That’s there decision. However if Cyprus or any country will not let a visitor from the UK enter its country with proof of vaccination. Said visitor will not even get on the plane. They might not like it but if folk want to travel.The decision will be made for them.
Re older folk not travelling, or anyone that’s classed as vulnerable etc that have had both vaccines and “ should not travel”. I don’t get it. Again countries like Cyprus, there main income is travel. They like most countries economies have been devastated. Are we to seriously expect folk to stay at home when countries including the UK allow them to travel when they have had there Jabs. That said Tashyboy is staying at home for the foreseeable future.
Like you say Tash, if the Government only advise were people should or should not travel to, some will ignore it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fingers dont go right up to the back of the nose though

I don't think it needs to go so far as to be a problem or indeed painful...half an inch...

Put the swab gently into one nostril, you may feel a slight resistance (insert about 1.5cm or about half an inch). Roll the swab 10 times slowly along the inside of the nostril. Remove the swab and repeat 10 times in the other nostril.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I actually agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment, I just don’t believe for one minute that is what will happen.

Nor do I and I do fear for what may happen in relation to people politely waiting for a vaccination when it becomes clear that people will not be able to go on their summer holiday this year whilst the older couple next door are off on the next flight meanwhile something like 90% of UK holiday places are booked for this year already and prices are skyrocketing.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Nor do I and I do fear for what may happen in relation to people politely waiting for a vaccination when it becomes clear that people will not be able to go on their summer holiday this year whilst the older couple next door are off on the next flight meanwhile something like 90% of UK holiday places are booked for this year already and prices are skyrocketing.

Said it before, If it doesn't happen and we have another strain that forces us back to where we are now. You can forget compliance in the young.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Saw a couple of friends we hadn't seen since just after New Year, courtesy of the local lockdowns. They'd gone to a bar for lunch on NY Eve with a group of friends. We were invited but declined, thinking it would be too busy. 13 went, spread across 3 tables. 9 of them ended up with Covid, traced back to the restaurant. 1 of them died 2 days ago.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Said it before, If it doesn't happen and we have another strain that forces us back to where we are now. You can forget compliance in the young.

Another point I agree with. If certain groups start heading off abroad in May whilst others are in lockdown, you simply hand them an argument on a plate for not complying if any further restrictions are required down the line. I really have stuck pretty rigorously to the rules but if those who have been vaccinated start taking holidays whilst I am under restrictions, my willingness to keep doing the right thing will be seriously diminished. Furthermore, there remains the risk of bringing home a variant, especially if the country they are visiting is not that far along with vaccination.

D-S

Visit site
I’m not sure I understand all this ‘if they get to do something that I’m not allowed to do then I have carte blanche to break the rules’ attitude. From about September last year onwards some parts of the country were allowed to go to the pub or restaurant etc. whilst other neighbouring areas were not allowed. This was irritating but comprehensible- a sort of postcode lottery that had quite an effect on quality of life. We couldn’t visit parents as they were in Tier 4, if they lived in a slightly different area it would have been fine. This whole time there has been ‘unfairness’, this may just be the last part.
Personally I would not want any vaccine passports issued before everyone has had the opportunity to have one, but someone older than me going to Cyprus in June should’t be an excuse to break guidelines that might end up harming someone.