Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
D

Deleted member 18588

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2007/03_march/23/riding.shtml

"And Inside Out reveals a report by a leading spinal consultant which concluded that riding a horse is 20 times more dangerous than riding a motorbike. While you can expect to have a serious motorbike accident once in every 7,000 hours, a serious riding accident happens once in every 350 hours."

https://www.esi-education.com/rural-weekly-horses-dangerous-riding-motorbikes-andrew-mclean/

RIDING horses is risky business.

According to new research, you are 20 times more likely to be injured doing an equestrian-based activity than you are riding a motorbike.
That claim was made 14 years ago and the stats were considered doubtful as they are based upon assumptions of how much time is spent partaking in the different activities.

If fatalities are compared the results are completely different.

And I speak as one who has ridden bikes on the road, moto-cross, enduro and done track days.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I think the point being made is that with the NHS being under so much pressure, it is probably wise not to engage in out of the ordinary activities that could end us up in hospital, if it goes wrong.

Ie I’m not going to take up skiing , but if I was a regular horse rider, I’d see no reason to stop. Just maybe not do anything risky

Likewise biking ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think the point being made is that with the NHS being under so much pressure, it is probably wise not to engage in out of the ordinary activities that could end us up in hospital, if it goes wrong.

Ie I’m not going to take up skiing , but if I was a regular horse rider, I’d see no reason to stop. Just maybe not do anything risky

Likewise biking ?
Never ended up in hospital after playing golf....
Jus sayin...

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Group e is going to be either ignored by those who appear to get better ( whether by personal desire to ignore or by not fully appreciating the facts) or they are going to live in fear of reoccurrence/related ailments. And it’s going to be a big group. I am probably now at my lowest point by thinking about this.

The reason I mention this other group is that Covid is fundamentally an inflammatory disease rather than an infective one. That may seem too be splitting hairs but what I mean is that it sets off processes in organ systems which may come to nothing or may set in train long term issues. We know that the seeds of liver or renal failure are often sewn a long time in advance, Hep B infection of the liver can cause liver failure years later. There have been observations already made about increases in new onset Type I Diabetes in kids, probably caused by an inflammatory effect on the pancreas, and I suspect we will see a range of other stuff ranging from infertility through similar effects on both males and females, neurological disorders of varying sorts and blood disorders.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
?

I run and I cycle. I run either very early in the morning; or later in the evening when not many people are around. If I know I'm going to pass someone I run onto the road and make sure I'm nowhere near them.

When I cycle I'm on my road bike, so as the name suggests, I'm cycling on the road! As such nowhere near walkers on the pavement.

You cannot ban running and cycling where they could be people's only form of exercise.

However you do get runners and cyclists using paths, pavements and tracks used predominately by walkers and they are not considerate to the walkers. This is wrong in my opinion and as such perhaps those responsible for these, such as landowners, local authorities etc, could possibly put signs up saying that walkers have priority use.

It's a difficult one to resolve.
I do not run I do not cycle. What do I do for my exercise? I walk. Just saying ?

btw - runners don’t need to stop running, they just need to know that they too can sometimes stop and wait for others to pass - as walkers do. And cyclists don’t need to stop cycling. But if they can’t take a wide berth they can at least slow down to walking pace when passing walkers ?

D

Deleted member 16999

I do not run I do not cycle. What do I do for my exercise? I walk. Just saying ?

btw - runners don’t need to stop running, they just need to know that they too can sometimes stop and wait for others to pass - as walkers do. And cyclists don’t need to stop cycling. But if they can’t take a wide berth they can at least slow down to walking pace when passing walkers ?
Or walkers can recognise that when sharing a designated path they can move to one side or realise they don’t have to walk side by side at all times.
Everybody needs to acknowledge everybody else and behave appropriately.

Apart from the few Dog Owners who cannot operate their extendable lead, they can do what they want.:mad:

D

Deleted member 21258

Someone said above about ICU is it mainly younger people, the reason for this is that old people(say 70 plus) are sadly to frail to survive and therefore don't make it to ICU. :(

Some interesting analysis, comparing per age group, link and a easy to see chart(not quite sure where the breakdown data is from, will go to look to find if available) :-

Christina Pagel on Twitter: "THREAD: on the connection between age, infection, hospitalisation, death and vaccination... TLDR: it matters! so read 7 tweets :) Each bar in the charts shows the proportion of people in each of the coloured age categories. 1/7" / Twitter

f.jpg

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Or walkers can recognise that when sharing a designated path they can move to one side or realise they don’t have to walk side by side at all times.
Everybody needs to acknowledge everybody else and behave appropriately.

Apart from the few Dog Owners who cannot operate their extendable lead, they can do what they want.:mad:
I do not disagree one iota - yes - me and my Mrs always go single file when passing others - many walkers do not and that does irk us a little. Often we can tell in advance of passing if they are going to go single file and if our guess is not we will stand aside. However my observation remains. My experience of taking a walk with my wife pretty much every day for the last 10months (that being our pandemic exercise) is simply that walkers do the vast majority of the standing aside/waiting/retracing of steps, and that runners and cyclists will rarely 'drop pace' and any acknowledgement given is often cursory rather than appreciative. Just saying.

Last edited:

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Although I admire the persistence of some to provide stats on this thread it is a bit like watching the BBC (other companies are available) and it’s all bad news which is a bit depressing.

Good news, We are now vaccinating faster than infections.

Hopefully a light at the end of the tunnel. You have to hand it to the government in this one instance, we are currently doing very well.

May annoy some, but in this instance, Brexit helped us.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Although I admire the persistence of some to provide stats on this thread it is a bit like watching the BBC (other companies are available) and it’s all bad news which is a bit depressing.
Lots of positive stuff on the BBC (and elsewhere) about the vaccines.

Besides.

I have worries about how things are going and how they will go - especially given how things have gone so far - and I need journalists and reporters to highlight where they find problems so that these problems can be put to those in charge and I can read and hear the responses. I do not need a bunch of sycophants in the media chucking down lollipops and long-hops. Those journalists who ask questions in briefings are in a privileged position that we are not - the opportunity to ask directly those responsible for framing our short-medium length future the difficult questions, the questions that those in charge might find difficult and awkward. And to press them repeatedly on these questions whilst the concerns remain. It's tough at the top and having to shoulder responsibilities.

However I agree that the media does have to also reflect and report where there is good and positivity. It is not all doom and gloom and care should be taken to ensure that it is not made to seem so.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Someone said above about ICU is it mainly younger people, the reason for this is that old people(say 70 plus) are sadly to frail to survive and therefore don't make it to ICU. :(

Some interesting analysis, comparing per age group, link and a easy to see chart(not quite sure where the breakdown data is from, will go to look to find if available) :-

Christina Pagel on Twitter: "THREAD: on the connection between age, infection, hospitalisation, death and vaccination... TLDR: it matters! so read 7 tweets :) Each bar in the charts shows the proportion of people in each of the coloured age categories. 1/7" / Twitter

View attachment 34547

You can consider it as layers, General population > Covid cases > Cases needing hospital > Hospital cases needing ICU > deaths. Not all deaths come in ICU, of course. We know that severity of disease increases with age, so death also increases exponentially with age. ICU admission is filtered by the assessment of whether it will be possible to get someone off a ventilator. No point in "saving" them using a vent only to effectively kill them the same way.

I have already told my family that if I ever get to the stage for whatever reason where I am no longer able to function at a level that I would be willing to tolerate, just make me comfortable and say goodbye. No heroic measures.

That graphic focuses on mortality. It is worth noting that if you look at cases and hospital admissions, and remove deaths to leave survivors, you further inflate the younger groups, and thus the burden of long Covid starts to become a younger patient problem.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Good news, We are now vaccinating faster than infections.

Hopefully a light at the end of the tunnel. You have to hand it to the government in this one instance, we are currently doing very well.

May annoy some, but in this instance, Brexit helped us.
You think this government is doing well based on our response to Covid including the vaccination program?

Wow. That’s all I can say to that.