Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But it's a great headline to use for media to keep the clicks coming in.

BREKAING NEWS: MORE YOUNG PEOPLE THAN EVER IN HOSPITAL DUE TO COVID.

They're not wrong, but they're misleading.
Because the statement is true, I might see it more as being disingenuous rather than misleading, though I'm thinking the point should still be made - that the young get hospitalised with Covid-19 as well. Also noting that the number hospitalised is surely independent of the total number of us being tested.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Age is the largest factor, but not the only one. One way of dealing with other factors is to calculate a Covid Age. This effectively adds or subtracts age according to certain factors to give you an age that best reflects your risk.

Being male, BAME, obese, diabetic, have chronic kidney disease etc all adds years.

Have a go if you dare.
Weight as a risk factor is one reason why, since start of August, I've got my BMI down from 30 to 25.7. I'm still in the overweight BMI band - but 30 had me verging into the Obese :eek:
And my waist measurement has come down so that's also good...Keeping going until I am in the Healthy band - 12st 10lbs my current target weight, 6ibs to go.

Every risk mitigation I can do I'll look to have a go at. I suppose being a Scot in Surrey makes me ethnic minority of a sort :) But, joking apart, as I don't drink or smoke that mitigates one of the main life risk factors associated with being of the Scottish ethnic minority...;)

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Weight as a risk factor is one reason why, since start of August, I've got my BMI down from 30 to 25.7. I'm still in the overweight BMI band - but 30 had me verging into the Obese :eek:
And my waist measurement has come down so that's also good...Keeping going until I am in the Healthy band - 12st 10lbs my current target weight, 6ibs to go.

Every risk mitigation I can do I'll look to have a go at. I suppose being a Scot in Surrey makes me ethnic minority of a sort :) But, joking apart, as I don't drink that mitigates one of the main life risk factors associated with being of the Scottish ethnic minority...;)

Well done on the weight loss. That is a fair chunk. I take some Vitamin D, cheap as chips on the internet. If you are somewhere the sun doesn't shine much, might be worth considering.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Age is the largest factor, but not the only one. One way of dealing with other factors is to calculate a Covid Age. This effectively adds or subtracts age according to certain factors to give you an age that best reflects your risk.

Being male, BAME, obese, diabetic, have chronic kidney disease etc all adds years.

Have a go if you dare.
I am getting 14 added years, but I could find my specific conditions in that list and worked of generic heart disease. Is there a similar calculator that lets me retire early? ;-)

D

Deleted member 25172

Because the statement is true, I might see it more as being disingenuous rather than misleading, though I'm thinking the point should still be made - that the young get hospitalised with Covid-19 as well. Also noting that the number hospitalised is surely independent of the total number of us being tested.

I agree with you. If english had been my native language, disingenuous might've been my word of choice as well. :)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Where have I been rude? I just realise there are different ways to look at it. Indonesia and China have done differently in there vaccination program. Is it right, who knows yet? But to say it makes you sick and that young people are being selfish is just bang out of order.

I was infected with covid in March. I have been locked up at home alone for the best part of a year. If current thinking like yours continues, I won't have a normal life until herd immunity is achieved through vaccines going by those most likely to die to youngest. What's that 2 years of my life most likely, for something that won't kill me? Not to mention I'll be repaying this in taxes for 50+ years

I live in an area with under 5% over 65's. In my day to day I come across a handful. Thankfully my sector isn't too damaged by working from home. But there is 100's of shops and eateries in CW, 99% of which are shut. Thousands unemployed, most likely on dodgy contracts, struggling. That's fine, if there is no other alternative. But for you to kick off when there might be even the suggestion of a better alternative and a change of thinking. And then to say it's young people being selfish (as you have done most of lockdown - old people don't break the rules apparently) Screams of irony.
Do you bother to read my posts.

Suggesting someone who has a different opinion is talking twaddle is rude.

I didn't say young people are being selfish or they make me sick. I said the thought of certain sectors of the populace being locked away so others can have a more comfortable time makes me feel physically sick. Can you see the difference?

I sympathise with your personal situation but most of us have been adversely affected by the virus,I went to the funeral of the best friend I ever had last week but we're in it together, that's always been the case in a civilised society.

Regarding a better alternative, I don't believe it is a better alternative and I've explained why I have come to that conclusion. Again you say I'm blaming young people, I'm not and I can't understand why you see that, I think you have a misapprehension that I'm pointing a finger but it seems to me that's what you are doing. I have children and grandchildren who I care very much about so please don't use this agest arguement, it just creates nothing but division.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the prevailing opinion is that it is probably linked to Vitamin D deficiency which is more common in BAME people, because melanin in skin impairs Vitamin D synthesis. Vitamin D is important in immune and inflammatory responses. (I have been taking a Vitamin D supplement for that reason during Covid). That is made worse by higher levels of diabetes and cardiovascular risk which are partly linked to genetics and BAME people also experience greater of social deprivation. So multifactorial causes.
Do you know if there's a programme to encourage BAME people to increase vitamin D

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you bother to read my posts.

Suggesting someone who has a different opinion is talking twaddle is rude.

I didn't say young people are being selfish or they make me sick. I said the thought of certain sectors of the populace being locked away so others can have a more comfortable time makes me feel physically sick. Can you see the difference?

I sympathise with your personal situation but most of us have been adversely affected by the virus,I went to the funeral of the best friend I ever had last week but we're in it together, that's always been the case in a civilised society.

Regarding a better alternative, I don't believe it is a better alternative and I've explained why I have come to that conclusion. Again you say I'm blaming young people, I'm not and I can't understand why you see that, I think you have a misapprehension that I'm pointing a finger but it seems to me that's what you are doing. I have children and grandchildren who I care very much about so please don't use this agest arguement, it just creates nothing but division.

"Vaccination doesn't stop the virus being transmitted but it does stop deaths" - that's not an opinion, that's you presenting a statement as fact - twaddle. Unless you know more than researchers. Pfizer and Oxford seem to thing theirs will severely reduce transmission, especially in asymptomatic cases, but haven't done the research to validate that theory.

So let's take your statement as fact for a second. The government have hinted that if you are in fact correct, us young people will just have to take our chance in a couple months. So why have young people had to throw away a year+ of our lives, losing careers, ruining the economy further and facing a mental health crisis? (economically if we'd managed to contain it, it would have been the ideal situation. But we didn't and we won't) How is that us all being in it together?

And lets say that the virus does stop transmission 100%. Surely you must be able to see there is a rational to getting the economic movers back into work first? I don't know if it would be the right decision, I don't know the data. But it's not worth dismissing instantly.

Also: Incredibly sorry about your friend. I didn't get to go to the funeral of mine and it tore me up in lockdown 1. But reading it, even if you did get to go, it's just as awful with the rules. It's a terrible situation.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
"Vaccination doesn't stop the virus being transmitted but it does stop deaths" - that's not an opinion, that's you presenting a statement as fact - twaddle. Unless you know more than researchers. Pfizer and Oxford seem to thing theirs will severely reduce transmission, especially in asymptomatic cases, but haven't done the research to validate that theory.

So let's take your statement as fact for a second. The government have hinted that if you are in fact correct, us young people will just have to take our chance in a couple months. So why have young people had to throw away a year+ of our lives, losing careers, ruining the economy further and facing a mental health crisis? (economically if we'd managed to contain it, it would have been the ideal situation. But we didn't and we won't) How is that us all being in it together?

And lets say that the virus does stop transmission 100%. Surely you must be able to see there is a rational to getting the economic movers back into work first? I don't know if it would be the right decision, I don't know the data. But it's not worth dismissing instantly.

Also: Incredibly sorry about your friend. I didn't get to go to the funeral of mine and it tore me up in lockdown 1. But reading it, even if you did get to go, it's just as awful with the rules. It's a terrible situation.
By using 'Twaddle' instead of saying you don't agree does nothing for your argument, it just makes you seem rude which I'm sure you're not.

Until there is proof that the vaccination stops the transmission of the virus I will assume it doesn't, surely that's the only safe policy.

The current policy of what groups receive the vaccination first have been designed to reduce deaths and protect the NHS from being overwhelmed. Do you really disagree with that process?

Thank you for your comments on my Friend. The loss people are experiencing is horrible and anything we can do to reduce it at all just must be worthwhile.

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would Visit Shanghai mainly, loved going to Sharks basketball games. Also Beijing and Guangzhou from time to time. Of course the government didn't mistreat me, I'm wealthy and white. Americans and Europeans have a better quality of life out there, way more jobs available, especially for middle management positions. Pay is much more as westerners generally don't want to live there. However unless they are Chinese, you won't find many people at the top of their field settling there.

I don't want to divert the thread more so. But here's the list of problems that form my opinion.

- I like democracy, don't like abolishing term laws so Xi Jinping is in power for life.
- I like free speech, don't like censorship of peoples views.
- I don't like censorship of information.
- I don't like incredibly powerful state surveillance.
- I don't like fabrication of Covid death figures.
- I don't like the huge disparity of wealth.
- I don't like a justice system being government run.
- I don't like internment and "re-education" of minorities.
- I don't like the mafioso like way in which business is run, especially towards foreign business.
- I don't like that almost everyone I met with investing large sums, had links to the CCP.

If you think those things are ok, power to you! Not for me tho.

I don't really care for the excuses etc.

However I get peeved when a country who has done nothing but hamper origin tracing and cooperated with no one, accuses us of doing it.

But the irrelevant drivel disproves what you stated. China has been co-operating though. Like I mentioned before, WHO experts arrive(d) TODAY! Unless mis-information is allowed here. :censored:

For a moment, regarding most of you're points, I actually believed you were describing the US for a second there...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
You believe the harvesting of organs yet don't believe their Covid death toll. No countries numbers are 100% accurate

Ooops!
org.png

You have just basically admitted you were treated like a king whilst you're stay there. Where was this authoritarian dystopian society you described where the people have no human rights? :unsure:
You will be treated exactly the same as the locals regardless of skin color. You break the law, white privilege will not save you.

I hope you have deleted you're Facebook and Twitter. Didn't they just censor/ban the most powerful man on the planet? :eek:

But its OK when we do it.
https://www.met.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/facial-recognition/live-facial-recognition/

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
"So why have young people had to throw away a year+ of our lives, losing careers, ruining the economy further and facing a mental health crisis?

With all due respect it isn't just young people that have had to endure that is it? We have all had to "throw a year + of our lives away". For some they have fewer years left so I don't think the young had a monopoly on theses hardships, if indeed that was what you were implying.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
With all due respect it isn't just young people that have had to endure that is it? We have all had to "throw a year + of our lives away". For some they have fewer years left so I don't think the young had a monopoly on theses hardships, if indeed that was what you were implying.

Oh not at all, This situation has been terrible for all. But as a young-ish person. I can say I'd much rather be living on my pension right now. As opposed to being made redundant, uncertainty of furlough or starting a career and entering this environment.

D

Deleted member 15344

So the amount of positive cases stays on the same flattened level but in South and South East those Tier 4 restrictions that were put in place have seen a drop in those areas

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Have a go if you dare.

To add a very small degree of context from the shop floor, we have a female (19 and Asian descent with no other co-morbidities) and several early 20 white males again no co-morbidities and all are not doing well at all. In the first wave it certainly seemed to hit BAME and the obese hardest but this time, possibly because of the new variant it does seem to have hit a far wider and younger demographic. It can't all be down to the "I'll be alright" attitude a lot of the younger generation seemed to show when restrictions were lifted and in the run-up to Christmas.

I've already seen the link above and not good reading for myself or my wife (who is still working in a school now up to 153 "key worker" kids!) so all we can do is go to work, take precautions (masks, regular washing and sanitising hands) and keeping away from people where possible, limit supermarket trips and stay home. It is a bit of an eye opener

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
To add a very small degree of context from the shop floor, we have a female (19 and Asian descent with no other co-morbidities) and several early 20 white males again no co-morbidities and all are not doing well at all. In the first wave it certainly seemed to hit BAME and the obese hardest but this time, possibly because of the new variant it does seem to have hit a far wider and younger demographic. It can't all be down to the "I'll be alright" attitude a lot of the younger generation seemed to show when restrictions were lifted and in the run-up to Christmas.

I've already seen the link above and not good reading for myself or my wife (who is still working in a school now up to 153 "key worker" kids!) so all we can do is go to work, take precautions (masks, regular washing and sanitising hands) and keeping away from people where possible, limit supermarket trips and stay home. It is a bit of an eye opener

The new variants have the same viral genome inside but the spike protein appears to have greater affinity for the ACE2 receptor, hence transmits more readily because more people exposed get it stuck in them, so to speak. There have been quite young people affected from the start, but thankfully not very many.

Keep you nose (and hands) clean. You've had the first shot, haven't you?

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The new variants have the same virus inside but the spike protein appears to have greater affinity for the ACE2 receptor, hence transmits more daily because more people exposed get it stuck in them, so to speak. There have been quite young people affected from the start, but thankfully not very many.

Keep you nose (and hands) clean. You've had the first shot, haven't you?

Yep. Stabbed last Wednesday (arm sore until Friday) so all good. Doing lateral flow testing as well. Fortunately the admin staff have been pulled back to a remote office although a necessity to still go in and out of the hot zones. Go in, do what's needed asap, back out and wash hands and sanitise asap, certainly before touching food or drink. As manager of the team I feel it's my duty to take the largest responsibility of going "hot" especially as the ladies all have some degree of co-morbidity but even I am scaling it back as far as possible