Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
[twitter] [/twitter] :sleep:
What happened? Deflection on how both the US/UK massively screwed up maybe?

You obviously didn't realise but news of the new Covid_19 actually made the news on their national TV coverage (CCTV-13) on the 31st Dec. A few hours after Dr Wenliang discussed it on his WeChat group (Dec 30th). If it was a massive coverup, they didn't really do a great job.
Now any intelligence agencies around the world, worth their salt WOULD/SHOULD had picked this up and put a strategy in place. Isn't that what governments are suppose to do, protect its citizens?

If your going to investigate the origins, all countries need to co-operate. As much as you couldn't care less, that's how it works. Not finger pointing to one country.

Where did you visit/work in China? You must had done something really bad for the government to step in and mistreat you. Otherwise it would be the local governing bodies that would had dealt with you. And if that single group of people did do something so drastic for you to despise the country, then higher up officials would step in and arrest them.

The two members here I remember that have family over in China, why have they not left and come back to the UK? If it really is as bad as the media makes out, makes no sense at all in staying. AKAIK, you can still leave the country but cannot get back in.

We can recall the news on China from January 2020 - this from 9th January. It's quite 'painful' to look back - just over one year ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51047576

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So the new Brazilizn variant 'might' be resistant to the vaccines. Worst news ever or not entirely unexpected?

one thing I was reading was a vaccine that was tested in Brazil (. Hi see led) only had 50.4% success is that due to it being the
“ Brazil “ strain.
Wonder what the other vaccines % ie Oxford etc etc would be.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What about the incarceration of 40 million for the benefit of the minority?

The majority of the UK are in the low risk group but they are all currently being put under restrictions to help the minority
No, that's not correct.
At the moment lockdown applies to all of us, just imagine the reaction if someone suggested the disabled and unemployed be put at the back of the queue as they are not going to make an impact on the economy.
The majority are being put under restrictions to stop the virus spreading such that the NHS would become overwhelmed and to reduce deaths, vaccination doesn't stop the virus being transmitted but it does stop deaths

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So the new Brazilizn variant 'might' be resistant to the vaccines. Worst news ever or not entirely unexpected?
Might be, maybe, could be. It's another scare phrase by the media. It is going to mutate, we have to accept this. Sit back, let the scientists do their stuff. (there is nothing we can do about it anyway)

Tashyboy

Visit site

Quote from Sky news.
At Christmas, Brazil was among a number of countries to suspend all flights from or via the UK due to the emergence of a new COVID variant in Britain.

If that is the case why has the UK not yet banned flights from Brazil. Am not saying it in a tit for tat sense But why haven’t they

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Quote from Sky news.
At Christmas, Brazil was among a number of countries to suspend all flights from or via the UK due to the emergence of a new COVID variant in Britain.

If that is the case why has the UK not yet banned flights from Brazil. Am not saying it in a tit for tat sense But why haven’t they
When asked this question yesterday the Health Secretary answered that there was no current need to as the number of individuals arriving in the UK from Brazil is currently very low. That is what I am sure that I heard him say. I make no comment.

D

Deleted member 15344

No, that's not correct.
At the moment lockdown applies to all of us, just imagine the reaction if someone suggested the disabled and unemployed be put at the back of the queue as they are not going to make an impact on the economy.
The majority are being put under restrictions to stop the virus spreading such that the NHS would become overwhelmed and to reduce deaths, vaccination doesn't stop the virus being transmitted but it does stop deaths

I know that

The point was currently yes we are all under restrictions but we are “all” under restrictions to protect the vunerable amongst us - where as some have the belief that the vunerable should be placed under extreme restrictions to allow everyone else to move on in life and to keep the country going

It is a very simplistic view of course and whilst I can see the theory it’s not something I agree with

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Vaccination doesn't stop the virus being transmitted but it does stop deaths

That's interesting, what research have you done? Because I think the answer scientists are saying at the moment is "we just don't know". Oxford and Pfizer both think their jabs will reduce transmission, especially in asymptomatic cases. But haven't done the research.

Or are you talking twaddle?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's interesting, what research have you done? Because I think the answer scientists are saying at the moment is "we just don't know". Oxford and Pfizer both think their jabs will reduce transmission, especially in asymptomatic cases. But haven't done the research.

Or are you talking twaddle?
Do you have to be so rude just because someone has a different viewpoint.

When the experts say it won't allow transmission I will accept it doesn't, until then I will take the view it will.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Do you have to be so rude just because someone has a different viewpoint.

When the experts say it won't allow transmission I will accept it doesn't, until then I will take the view it will.
I've been asking myself this same question. But coincidentally I got a letter this morning from NHS offering me flu vaccination.

That made me think that if the flu vaccination didn't both prevent influenza and eliminate or very significantly reduce transmission of the virus from someone infected but vaccinated - then flu would be pandemic across the community as many of us (self included) have never been vaccinated against flu and there would be lots of folks out there vaccinated but still transmitting. And it isn't pandemic...or at least it isn't a lot more prevalent than it is.

Of course I get that the Covid-19 coronavirus isn't the flu virus but is the underlying science of the vaccination in respect of impact on onward transmission pretty much the same? I'm sure this will have been asked and answered somewhere on here but if I may ask again as the answer will be know and simple.

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The answer to whether vaccination reduces transmission is not known. It is quite hard to study properly because you can't enrol everybody's family and friends into studies. I think the current viewpoint is that since vaccination reduces the propagation of the virus, it would seem odd if that did not result in a lower risk of onward transmission. Whether that lower risk is a zero or non-zero risk of transmission is the question.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know that

The point was currently yes we are all under restrictions but we are “all” under restrictions to protect the vunerable amongst us - where as some have the belief that the vunerable should be placed under extreme restrictions to allow everyone else to move on in life and to keep the country going

It is a very simplistic view of course and whilst I can see the theory it’s not something I agree with
I thought it was to protect the NHS

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I've been asking myself this same question. But coincidentally I got a letter this morning from NHS offering me flu vaccination.

That made me think that if the flu vaccination didn't both prevent influenza and eliminate or very significantly reduce transmission of the virus from someone infected but vaccinated - then flu would be pandemic across the community as many of us (self included) have never been vaccinated against flu and there would be lots of folks out there vaccinated but still transmitting. And it isn't pandemic...or at least it isn't a lot more prevalent than it is.

Of course I get that the Covid-19 coronavirus isn't the flu virus but is the underlying science of the vaccination in respect of impact on onward transmission pretty much the same? I'm sure this will have been asked and answered somewhere on here but if I may ask again as the answer will be know and simple.

As I understand it, the flu virus is not epidemic because there is herd immunity, I.e. enough people have the antibodies so that when the flu virus tries to infect them...
It doesn't. It doesn't get a grip, so to speak.
That is the hope for Covid when enough are vaccinated. The virus dies when it keeps getting rejected and cannot flourish.That is why we are exhorted to all have the vaccine. Indeed, why we are asked to not have contact with each other, SD and all that.
So, in that sense, being vaccinated helps stop transmission . However, vaccinated people can still touch infected objects, then other objects, or shake your hand etc, and pass it on by touch.
But if they are not an infected person, them breathing over you isn't going to spread it.
Ethan may give a verdict on that?

D

Deleted member 16999

I think the message since this pandemic has started has been missed or confused as times gone on.

We locked down because everyone was at risk, all of society needed protecting, as the virus took hold it became apparent some were more vulnerable than others and those least vulnerable became a bit complacent imo.

It was at this time the message/marketing needed to change, it needed to focus on the responsibility the strongest in society had towards the weakest.

Yes, fewer Children, Teenagers, those in the 20’s/30’s/40’s have died, but does anyone want to risk their child/wife/husband/parent etc being one of the few that is sacrificed to partly unlock the Country so the strongest can get on with their life.

To recover as a Nation, we must stick together and fight as a Nation.

What’s the old cliche? “A chain is only as strong as its weakest link”

Tashyboy

Visit site
I think the message since this pandemic has started has been missed or confused as times gone on.

We locked down because everyone was at risk, all of society needed protecting, as the virus took hold it became apparent some were more vulnerable than others and those least vulnerable became a bit complacent imo.

It was at this time the message/marketing needed to change, it needed to focus on the responsibility the strongest in society had towards the weakest.

Yes, fewer Children, Teenagers, those in the 20’s/30’s/40’s have died, but does anyone want to risk their child/wife/husband/parent etc being one of the few that is sacrificed to partly unlock the Country so the strongest can get on with their life.

To recover as a Nation, we must stick together and fight as a Nation.

What’s the old cliche? “A chain is only as strong as its weakest link”

Deffo this, and for me the message did change for the worse. Can you remember when Boris was ridiculed when he was sending out mixed messages. That for me was a mixed message turning point of which am not sure we have ever recovered. That and people driving 200 miles to test there eyesight.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Regarding the age profile of hospitalisations currently, Sir Patrick Valance on Peston last night said there is no evidence that younger people are being hospitalised more than older people now. He said the demographics were the same, its just that, as total hospitalisations have increased, there are more younger people are being admitted , but the percentage is not much different to what it has been throughout the pandemic.

I assume ongoing vaccinations will potentially change that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The answer to whether vaccination reduces transmission is not known. It is quite hard to study properly because you can't enrol everybody's family and friends into studies. I think the current viewpoint is that since vaccination reduces the propagation of the virus, it would seem odd if that did not result in a lower risk of onward transmission. Whether that lower risk is a zero or non-zero risk of transmission is the question.
I guess a conclusion from this I can draw is that we are all very likely to be carrying 'a' flu virus - basically all the time. That we don't see mass illness is that many are vaccinated from developing illness, and most of those not vaccinated have built up an immunity against 'it'.

However I am thinking (and as SLaS suggests) then that illness with influenza numbers can escalate in those years when the strain in the country is significantly different and the immunity of such as I (not vaccinated) isn't so good - and so I could become ill?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess a conclusion from this I can draw is that we are all very likely to be carrying 'a' flu virus - basically all the time. That we don't see mass illness is that many are vaccinated from developing illness, and most of those not vaccinated have built up an immunity against 'it'.

However I am thinking (and as SLaS suggests) then that illness with influenza numbers can escalate in those years when the strain in the country is significantly different and the immunity of such as I (not vaccinated) isn't so good - and so I could become ill?

We are all quite likely to be exposed to flu, but either through innate resistance due to youth, or a cumulative body of immunity acquired over years, most of us have enough weapons to fend it off. In years when a new more pathogenic variant emerges, that can change, though. Flu tends to be well resisted by the young, so whilst they can still be vectors, they tend not to get it.