Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not really sure where to start with this one, initially by hoping you aren't serious.

The orange faced buffoon didn't call it that because that's really what it's called, it already has a name. He called it that for two very clear reasons;

A) He is a racist chump and the context in which he uses that phrase is appalling. He, and the rest of the world have strong suspicion that it originated in China, but have we seen conclusive proof? If you think being a racist chump is "having stones" then you need to think about that long and hard.

B) He needed to deflect from his utterly abysmal record of dealing with the virus, so he created the "boogeyman" that is the 'China Virus' so his equally racist chump supporting rednecks would stop thinking (for want of a better phrase) about how absolutely shite his administrations response had been and start looking elsewhere to apportion blame. A tactic that was more than moderately successful, which is probably the saddest part of the whole thing.

No one is "tip-toing" around, many have stated they believe that China had a large part to play in it. But you will note, not many (because they are adults) went around giving it a playground name.

That’s a big political post, Let’s not ruin this thread with Trump, who I am certainly no fan of... My point was in response to Danfst post #14319

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
That’s a big political post, Let’s not ruin this thread with Trump, who I am certainly no fan of... My point was in response to Danfst post #14319

And you think Trump calling it the China Virus was in no way political...?

Time to shoogle that heid.

Edit: My post was not political, but factual.

The main highlight, which I see you expertly deflected, is in thinking that being a racist cracker is in someway akin to "having stones".

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
To comply people have to follow some fairly simple rules. Those rules are quite capable of controlling the virus but if they don't wish to comply then we get what we are currently experiencing.

Read a quote earlier that went along the lines of

” if people move they die, if people don’t move the virus dies”

Thought it summed it up quite well.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting that Indonesia has bucked the trend and is vaccinating people of working age first. The argument is that they are likely to be out and about and spread the illness and so it protects more people by vaccinating them first. I guess the validity of that argument is wholly based on whether the vaccine simply stops you getting ill when you get covid or stops your spreading it as well. Will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
And you think Trump calling it the China Virus was in no way political...?

Time to shoogle that heid.

Edit: My post was not political, but factual.

The main highlight, which I see you expertly deflected, is in thinking that being a racist cracker is in someway akin to "having stones".

I think your looking for something that is not there, surprised you haven’t asked if I have an “agenda” ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Is it OK to call the new strain the British Variant, then? Arguably the poor response in the UK allowed it to evolve here.

and the Spanish flu which killed 50 million originated in Trumpland. ?☹️
That aside, obviously the Origin of the Spanish flu are well documented. But how or why is it so important as to where the Viruses actually start. ?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
and the Spanish flu which killed 50 million originated in Trumpland. ?☹️
That aside, obviously the Origin of the Spanish flu are well documented. But how or why is it so important as to where the Viruses actually start. ?

It really is not but it makes a handy deflection for stricter regulations or worsening figures if a country can make another one seem responsible for it. We are hardly popular globally at the moment and so to be able to tie our name to an increased lockdown or worsening infections puts us in the spotlight rather than who is actually making the decisions.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting that Indonesia has bucked the trend and is vaccinating people of working age first. The argument is that they are likely to be out and about and spread the illness and so it protects more people by vaccinating them first. I guess the validity of that argument is wholly based on whether the vaccine simply stops you getting ill when you get covid or stops your spreading it as well. Will be interesting to see how that pans out.
China are doing the same although their argument is more economics based. The working age people keep the economy and the country going and so they are prioritised.

The Indonesian reasoning is an interesting one. There is logic to it although I don't think I could make that call. It doesn't make it wrong though. As you say it will be interesting to look back on and see which works best.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
It really is not but it makes a handy deflection for stricter regulations or worsening figures if a country can make another one seem responsible for it. We are hardly popular globally at the moment and so to be able to tie our name to an increased lockdown or worsening infections puts us in the spotlight rather than who is actually making the decisions.

I don't really care for the excuses etc.

However I get peeved when a country who has done nothing but hamper origin tracing and cooperated with no one, accuses us of doing it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
that may work for you but some people cannot see much at all without glasses so a pretty crass comment
A crass comment - really? I mentioned it as an example of where some do not appear to try 100% to work within the requirements of wearing a mask or visor. My point was that an excuse for not wearing a visor when in a store was that glasses steam up. Well how do those who wear glasses cope? They either take them off (as I do); continually wipe them clear; or apply something like some detergent to stop them misting up.

I was very clear about how I can manage without my glasses - and noted that if I cannot find something then I simply ask an assistant. In fact I'll often just keep them on and wipe off misting. As anyone can do.

Methinks you protest too much at my post.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
To comply people have to follow some fairly simple rules. Those rules are quite capable of controlling the virus but if they don't wish to comply then we get what we are currently experiencing.
Apparently 4 in 5 do not understand the rules.

Well..

Do I understand 100% what the rules permit me to do in all circumstances ... NO
Do I understand 100% what the rules require me to do ... YES

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Is it OK to call the new strain the British Variant, then? Arguably the poor response in the UK allowed it to evolve here.
Not according to someone I have heard commenting on Angela Merkel calling it that (but I can't say who commented as that would be political even although that same someone is of some influence and has views on managing the virus that would significantly impact us all - jeez)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Starting with the highest risk group in the economically active population is sensible, and has been suggested in the UK too. The truth is that the priority has been determined to stop care home residents clogging up hospitals. That is a valid concern, but may not really be where the greatest risk of population harm lies.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Need some help understanding the math. A local news outlet reported this morning on 7 Areas of MK that have more than 1000 cases per 100k people. The area I live in is reported as having approx 1040 per 100k, with 98 cases reported. The area in question is circa 20k residents. If we have 98 confirmed cases for 20k people, how does that become 1040 for 100k?

If we multiply 20k x 5 to get 100k, why are we multiplying 98 x 10+

My brain is hurting trying to understand this

According to the same source, our area rate has now dropped by 40.2% over the last 7 days, to 533 per 100K, recording 52 cases in the last 7 days. Even though I still don't understand their maths, that's a bit of good news at least.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
According to the same source, our area rate has now dropped by 40.2% over the last 7 days, to 533 per 100K, recording 52 cases in the last 7 days. Even though I still don't understand their maths, that's a bit of good news at least.

where is this from and what time period does it cover? you may find its almost a week behind and youre actually in a better situation still