Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D

Deleted member 15344

Whilst I agree in parts .. the irony is one hard lockdown would have cost the economy less overall than these little and often ones we are at now and our numbers wouldn't be so out of control

Not closing international arrivals straight away was a massive error

It’s impossible to tell what the affect of one hard lockdown would have been - and it’s also impossible to tell if we wouldn’t have had another lockdown

Essentially the first lockdown worked for what they wanted to do

The levels of cases were dramatically decreased

It was only late summer when the encouragement to “eat out” and then pubs and the change in weather meant the virus was going to spread again - the virus will never disappear - It was all a waiting game until the vaccine

This will prob be the last lockdown we have - there will be some tiers for a while and life will start being normal from mid summer for us all

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
In future I would also be interested to see how the seasonal element impacted on the control of Covid. Not looking to get into the debate about actions taken but simply at the fact that Australia and New Zealand were just hitting Winter when Covid struck and so had their first lockdowns at a time when people were at the greatest risk. Once they were over, they were in the Summer months when most people seem to agree that transmission is at a far lower level. Europe, on the other hand, had to either look at an immediate lockdown for basically a year or be aware that any any good work in the Summer was going to impacted by the arrival of Winter and conditions in which Covid could thrive.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It might be worth noting that this is a worldwide situation. The UK, as a global hub would find it very difficult to isolate itself internationally. As before the UK immunisations programme reaches a critical mass there will still be the risk of 'importing' the bug.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That’s the bit that surprises me. We now know this strain is more infectious than Mack in May, but the compliance is still the same.
To comply people have to follow some fairly simple rules. Those rules are quite capable of controlling the virus but if they don't wish to comply then we get what we are currently experiencing.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
To comply people have to follow some fairly simple rules. Those rules are quite capable of controlling the virus but if they don't wish to comply then we get what we are currently experiencing.
Back in March a brick layer couldn't transmit it to his family because they where locked down. Neither could mcdonald's staff and many more shops and services that are open today that wasn't in March. You only have to look at the roads to see how different it is to March.
Even if the guidelines at work are followed it is still easier to catch than it is at home

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had two customers now tell me that Scotland is going for a 2 week shutdown of construction and manufacturing. Both received phone calls from Scottish suppliers warning them they may have issue getting goods to them in the coming weeks.
Hmmmmm.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
China is pissed of with BoJo stating it "may" have come from China.

Beijing's foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said "Groundless conjecture or hype-up of the issue will only disrupt normal international co-operation on origin-tracing," REALLY! China only allowed the WHO in on monday. Over a year after the initial outbreak and they don't have the level of access they want. I think that might be far more disruptive....

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
China is pissed of with BoJo stating it "may" have come from China.

Beijing's foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said "Groundless conjecture or hype-up of the issue will only disrupt normal international co-operation on origin-tracing," REALLY! China only allowed the WHO in on monday. Over a year after the initial outbreak and they don't have the level of access they want. I think that might be far more disruptive....

Yep only Trump had the stones to call it what it was. Everyone else tip-toeing around for fear of offending the Chinese for some reason.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought they were blaming Kent?
Is it anyone’s fault a virus mutates.?

It can be due to poor suppression of the virus, so called virus escape, where applying a degree of suppression removes only the weaker variants and lets the stronger and more pathogenic strains evolve faster. The same argument has been made by some people about the delay between first and second vaccine, arguing that incomplete immunity is hazardous.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep only Trump had the stones to call it what it was. Everyone else tip-toeing around for fear of offending the Chinese for some reason.

Not really sure where to start with this one, initially by hoping you aren't serious.

The orange faced buffoon didn't call it that because that's really what it's called, it already has a name. He called it that for two very clear reasons;

A) He is a racist chump and the context in which he uses that phrase is appalling. He, and the rest of the world have strong suspicion that it originated in China, but have we seen conclusive proof? If you think being a racist chump is "having stones" then you need to think about that long and hard.

B) He needed to deflect from his utterly abysmal record of dealing with the virus, so he created the "boogeyman" that is the 'China Virus' so his equally racist chump supporting rednecks would stop thinking (for want of a better phrase) about how absolutely shite his administrations response had been and start looking elsewhere to apportion blame. A tactic that was more than moderately successful, which is probably the saddest part of the whole thing.

No one is "tip-toing" around, many have stated they believe that China had a large part to play in it. But you will note, not many (because they are adults) went around giving it a playground name.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
That is a different one. My point is that the blame game is unhelpful right now. Trump is more interested in fighting battles than getting stuff done.

I’m no fan of the Trump but I don’t see why we should worry about upsetting China? The way they mishandled the outbreak in the beginning was criminal.