Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm sorry but you are off beam. You will be aware of the economics of marginal costing. Adding extra vaccinations will not add capital cost and will add minimal variable costs.

I made no mention of NHS pricing system which is an entirely different cost accounting animal of which I have some knowledge. You don't need to always insert a 'put down' statement!

Surely the vaccination is the capital cost, i.e. it will (almost) be a fixed price product. 10 vaccines will be £10, maybe less a discount for multiple units but still a multiple of the capital cost per unit.

The variable, controlled, cost is the number of staff on any give session.

You're the expert but product, bar discount, has always been a capital cost.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely the vaccination is the capital cost, i.e. it will (almost) be a fixed price product. 10 vaccines will be £10, maybe less a discount for multiple units but still a multiple of the capital cost per unit.

The variable, controlled, cost is the number of staff on any give session.

You're the expert but product, bar discount, has always been a capital cost.

And it is only variable cost if there is no need for additional staff. Serco don't do much work at marginal cost, though. And their capital costs are eye-watering. That appears to be a payment model the DoH is currently comfortable with.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
And it is only variable cost if there is no need for additional staff. Serco don't do much work at marginal cost, though. And their capital costs are eye-watering. That appears to be a payment model the DoH is currently comfortable with.

I really didn't mean to derail the thread. I was just addressing you suggestion that a GP would paid a derisory amount.

SERCO is a subcontracting solution and has no connection to cost changes in a GP practice.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really didn't mean to derail the thread. I was just addressing you suggestion that a GP would paid a derisory amount.

SERCO is a subcontracting solution and has no connection to cost changes in a GP practice.

Serco is many things, but rarely a solution to anything (yes, I know what you meant) but nevertheless are a good example of the Govt attitude towards funding stuff. GPs are contractors to the NHS, their fees should not be based on cost changes, and I invited you to elaborate on what you thought those might be, but the £12 offered for vaccination is a derisory sum. Lets see how much other parties in the process receive.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I'm hearing more and more that a vaccine will be rolled out on, or soon after, the 2nd of December

I know it’s “friend of a friend” stuff, but I’ve seen a text from someone who works in the civil service who has suggested the same. There’s another I’ve seen from someone in the NHS who has said the push to get flu vaccinations done early was, in part, because there needs to be a month between flu and coronavirus vaccinations.

I accept this may be wishful thinking, and I’m perhaps joining the dots to draw the picture I want to see, but I just got a sense when watching Boris last Saturday that he now sees an “out”, that being a vaccine.

I’m happy to look on the bright side. Anything else is just too depressing.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I know it’s “friend of a friend” stuff, but I’ve seen a text from someone who works in the civil service who has suggested the same. There’s another I’ve seen from someone in the NHS who has said the push to get flu vaccinations done early was, in part, because there needs to be a month between flu and coronavirus vaccinations.

I accept this may be wishful thinking, and I’m perhaps joining the dots to draw the picture I want to see, but I just got a sense when watching Boris last Saturday that he now sees an “out”, that being a vaccine.

I'm with you on that and hope that over 65's are high up the list to receive it

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

That is standard practice, although the type of vaccines in development for Covid vary and will interact with flu vaccine differently.

The rate limiting steps here are the release of data from the trials, the speed of regulatory authorities (probably quick), in our case EMA and MHRA (although they will be more or less synchronous) and then logistical rollout. Don't hold your breath waiting for a call from your GP unless you are getting on a bit because they will start with the most elderly and work down to us young people. NHS and care home staff vaccination will take place through workplace processes.

The two leading vaccine candidates, Pfizer/BioNtech and Oxford/Astra Zeneca were in development as 2 shot vaccinations, a month or so apart, which complicates the process a bit. It remains to be seen if the trial results suggest 2 shots are better than 1 or not.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
That is standard practice, although the type of vaccines in development for Covid vary and will interact with flu vaccine differently.

The rate limiting steps here are the release of data from the trials, the speed of regulatory authorities (probably quick), in our case EMA and MHRA (although they will be more or less synchronous) and then logistical rollout. Don't hold your breath waiting for a call from your GP unless you are getting on a bit bcaaseu they will start with the most elderly and work down to us young people. NHS and care home staff vaccination will take place through workplace processes.

The two leading vaccine candidates, Pfizer/BioNtech and Oxford/Astra Zeneca were in development as 2 shot vaccinations, a month or so apart, which complicates the process a bit. It remains to be seen if the trial results suggest 2 shots are better than 1 or not.

I’m happy to wait my turn, primarily because I’m hoping my brush with Covid in the spring (I had a “strong” antibody response in June) means I still have a degree of T-cell immunity.

That said, I have very mild COPD so am still less than thrilled at the prospect of taking my chances with this virus, so will grasp the opportunity to have the vaccine with both hands the moment I’m offered it.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm with you on that and hope that over 65's are high up the list to receive it

Fo golfe
I’m happy to wait my turn, primarily because I’m hoping my brush with Covid in the spring (I had a “strong” antibody response in June) means I still have a degree of T-cell immunity.

That said, I have very mild COPD so am still less than thrilled at the prospect of taking my chances with this virus, so will grasp the opportunity to have the vaccine with both hands the moment I’m offered it.

More than a degree, probably. Recent paper in Nature showed string T-cell immunity in all of a set of Covid-positive people they tested.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Vaccine roll- out due to be starting December...apparently...and all being well...source - couple of very senior nursing professionals at major London hospitals. Front line Covid19 NHS first along with care homes...

Aligns with updates on GPs getting notice to prepare posted by others.