Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Saw this posted by someone on Facebook earlier.......

"So key workers can continue to do 50/60 hours a week for normal money putting themselves at risk and keeping them away from family and non key workers can stay at home at no risk with family and get 80% of their wage. I know people have to get paid and don't begrudge them that but surely key workers are getting the shitty end of the stick."

I'm self employed and am neither a key worker nor one of those that will be at home getting 80% of my wage but I think that when this is eventually over there needs to be recognition from the government for all those that were on the front line of fighting the virus. Whether that is NHS staff (all of them from the surgeons and consultants to the cleaners), supermarket workers, delivery drivers, care workers or anyone else that has been classed as a key worker through this, they should get a massive thank you from the government, and the country as a whole, as well as some kind of financial bonus for the work they're putting in to deal with this. As an example, give them each a couple of grand each to go on holiday with their families and give them a chance to rest and recover. Yes it will cost a lot of money but it will also help the country by putting cash back into the economy, giving a boost to the airline industry if they go abroad or to the hospitality industry if they take their break in the UK.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The rules are quite clear, exercise is allowed, and that’s not exercising, just like golf rules, they’re not to be interpreted to what you want or would like to do.

Not sure I agree on either count Robin. Golf has many rules which players will manipulate to their benefit.

re the golf in the park. I’ve a 60*200 field/green space outside my window. I’ve been out there hitting wedges before the outbreak and will do during and after. The biggest argument I’ve seen against golf has been travel not being essential. I can’t see there being a legitimate argument against a minute walk.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Saw this posted by someone on Facebook earlier.......

"So key workers can continue to do 50/60 hours a week for normal money putting themselves at risk and keeping them away from family and non key workers can stay at home at no risk with family and get 80% of their wage. I know people have to get paid and don't begrudge them that but surely key workers are getting the shitty end of the stick."

I'm self employed and am neither a key worker nor one of those that will be at home getting 80% of my wage but I think that when this is eventually over there needs to be recognition from the government for all those that were on the front line of fighting the virus. Whether that is NHS staff (all of them from the surgeons and consultants to the cleaners), supermarket workers, delivery drivers, care workers or anyone else that has been classed as a key worker through this, they should get a massive thank you from the government, and the country as a whole, as well as some kind of financial bonus for the work they're putting in to deal with this. As an example, give them each a couple of grand each to go on holiday with their families and give them a chance to rest and recover. Yes it will cost a lot of money but it will also help the country by putting cash back into the economy, giving a boost to the airline industry if they go abroad or to the hospitality industry if they take their break in the UK.

All o can say to this Is that I hope it’s government lead. I’ve had a massive argument at work today just to get us sanitizer because our director felt paying £90 for what will probably keep us going for 4 weeks as excessive!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There were many of my family that had symptoms similar to coronavirus 3 months ago, I think it’s more than conspiracy theories, I think it must have been some kind of stain of coronavirus.
Both myself and Grandson had this. at one stage my GS had a raging fever/temperature.
Mine was more cough + dry blocked nasal passages

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Not sure I agree on either count Robin. Golf has many rules which players will manipulate to their benefit.

re the golf in the park. I’ve a 60*200 field/green space outside my window. I’ve been out there hitting wedges before the outbreak and will do during and after. The biggest argument I’ve seen against golf has been travel not being essential. I can’t see there being a legitimate argument against a minute walk.

Well you wouldn’t get away with manipulating a rule to suit you if you were playing with me, a rule is a rule, period.

I also think your field is a little different to a public park with a public pitch & putt in it.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Well you wouldn’t get away with manipulating a rule to suit you if you were playing with me, a rule is a rule, period.

I also think your field is a little different to a public park with a public pitch & putt in it.

So you’ve never seen a pro manipulate a rule? Mickelson in a bush fir example?

Re the pitch and putt, if it’s closed off I wouldn’t use it. If not, then I don’t see how that’s anyway worse than cyclists. in fact using the argument about safety, I’d say cycling is worse.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you actually have the flu or did you have the cold, as is the case for most people when they claim they have the flu?
TBH I'm not that bothered as it was 32 yrs ago I had my last flu jab. All that matters to me is that when I had the jab I had more cold/flu bugs than when I didn't.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not in the slightest. I used to have it between the ages on 18 and 22 each year, and during that time I never had more flu bugs than at any other time of my life. I stopped having the jab, and I stopped getting multiple flu bouts during the year.
Selfish?.....hardly.

Likewise only time I've ever had a "proper" flu was the only year I had the jab and I was off work for 3 weeks.

Never had it again since. (Jab or flu)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
So you’ve never seen a pro manipulate a rule? Mickelson in a bush fir example?

Re the pitch and putt, if it’s closed off I wouldn’t use it. If not, then I don’t see how that’s anyway worse than cyclists. in fact using the argument about safety, I’d say cycling is worse.

You honestly think pitch & putt qualifies as exercise, if you do you’re as daft as he is!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That wasn't anything to do with the flu jab, but having the jab is a personal choice.
Who knows, all I know is that before I started to have the jab (under advise from parents) I hardly got anything. Once I started to have the jab I had something every couple of months, then when I stopped the jab I went back to hardly anything and been that way since.
It may be chance, coincidence or who knows but I cant change history.:)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
You honestly think pitch & putt qualifies as exercise, if you do you’re as daft as he is!

Do you, covid aside. Consider golf as exercise?

I think most on here would probably class it as the only cardio they do.

Not once when people were discussing golf prior to the ban being confirmed did anyone argue that it wasn't exercise. It was All about the fact its not essential to travel for exercise.

If you wanna call me daft you crack on.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Do you, covid aside. Consider golf as exercise?

I think most on here would probably class it as the only cardio they do.

Not once when people were discussing golf prior to the ban being confirmed did anyone argue that it wasn't exercise. It was All about the fact its not essential to travel for exercise.

If you wanna call me daft you crack on.

Your spinning it to full blown golf now, it’s pitch & putt ffs, the 2 are not comparable.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Your spinning it to full blown golf now, it’s pitch & putt ffs, the 2 are not comparable.

Hit a ball, walk to it. Hit it again.
Of course it's comparable.

I've seen kids over the park playing keepy ups on their own. Should we stop em doing that as its not actually football so doesn't count as exercise.

I totally respect we shouldn't be going out of our way to simply get a fix of golf. But I'll hold my hands up and admit I'd probably have a little chip around the greens if it was open as I'd be hurting absolutley nobody whilst out getting fresh air.

Anyways, feel free to respond, call me daft whatever you wish. I'm out.

This place is getting like winter again. Time for a break.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really just do not understand the level of addiction with some on here. They say no golf and that is fine for me. Can walk, run, cycle all sorts of things but some seem unable to live life without golf. My mum is 72, widowed and golf was all she had, played all the time. Even she is coping better with this than some on here who seem to be looking for any glimmer of hope that they can hit a little white ball.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Hit a ball, walk to it. Hit it again.
Of course it's comparable.

I've seen kids over the park playing keepy ups on their own. Should we stop em doing that as its not actually football so doesn't count as exercise.

I totally respect we shouldn't be going out of our way to simply get a fix of golf. But I'll hold my hands up and admit I'd probably have a little chip around the greens if it was open as I'd be hurting absolutley nobody whilst out getting fresh air.

Anyways, feel free to respond, call me daft whatever you wish. I'm out.

This place is getting like winter again. Time for a break.

Pathetic last remarks. you run away because you can’t debate when someone disagrees and calls you out for what they believe is wrong under the current directive. Try walking down the road with a couple wedges in your hand to the public park with a pitch & putt within it, but then don’t complain when the police spot you and hopefully fine you of better still, lock you up with the other daft bugger.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use to poo poo at people having the Flu. Until around a 100 of us caught it at a wedding held in a Marque.
Changed my mind after that, this strain of flu is much worse it's deadly , scary stuff defo not to be sneezed at :eek:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Pathetic last remarks. you run away because you can’t debate when someone disagrees and calls you out for what they believe is wrong under the current directive. Try walking down the road with a couple wedges in your hand to the public park with a pitch & putt within it, but then don’t complain when the police spot you and hopefully fine you of better still, lock you up with the other daft bugger.

I'm not running away. There simply is no need for us to circle around.

For the record it wasn't a debate.
A debate is reasoned and has no need for name calling. Not that daft bugger is particular insulting, but still ebtyer to simply articulate a reasoned repsonse. Anything less detracts from a debate.

You think you're right. I don't think it's black and white.
Quite simply no point going around in circles.

We've both said our pieces and aren't going to change our minds.

As to being locked up. They split up a bbq with 20 people yesterday. Nobody isn't getting locked up for at best. Stretching the rules.

On a side note. I genuinely am glad to see that you're feeling better.