Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think we should all wear masks for the foreseeable future. I don’t know about the science, but it affords me a real sense of moral superiority. I’m pleased the guidelines have officially been changed. Now it’s really easy to spot the truly virtuous from the uncaring sociopaths.
???

Absolutely right, and with the World Health Organisation saying after a review of 10 independent studies into mask wearing:
Personal hygiene measures such as hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette and face masks are widely used as non-pharmaceutical intervention measures to reduce the risk of acquiring or spreading respiratory infections, and for mitigating pandemic influenza. However, our review identified a lack of compelling evidence for the effectiveness of hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette and face masks against influenza transmission in the community.
it’s important to identify the sociopaths . ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Why do you even need to bring politics into it at any level. Plenty of examples at a local level. I'm with Amanda and in places like supermarkets it has dropped off significantly even with some still saying they'd "prefer" customers to wear one. Levels on trains, certainly on the one I use is also down, significantly in the 12-25 year olds. The older passengers still using them
Because there are some - possibly many - out there who are looking for any reason to justify their not wearing a mask. And if they see some in positions of power and responsibility doing something - or not doing something - then they will feel quite empowered to do likewise.

That's all. The question is asked - and indeed it is a very reasonable question to ask - but when asked you can't just ignore a possible answer - at least a possible answer for some. Don't ask the question if the answer is not acceptable - or not acceptable for some or under some constraints.

I myself make absolutely no comment on the rights or wrong of it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Would you follow lemmings over a cliff? Of course you wouldn’t and you know it.
Of course I wouldn't - and that is why I make no comment on my view on the rights or wrong of others not wearing a mask in a supermarket. Simply make an observation about why...as that is what was asked.

As it happens yesterday evening I found myself having wandered into a supermarket without putting a mask on - I suddenly twigged and so immediately put a mask on. Funnily enough my daughter and a pal of hers were also in - and they weren't wearing masks - they'd forgotten to bring one and when they saw me they worried that I'd pull them up :) I did and directed then to Customer Service Desk where they could pick one up.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Because there are some - possibly many - out there who are looking for any reason to justify their not wearing a mask. And if they see some in positions of power and responsibility doing something - or not doing something - then they will feel quite empowered to do likewise.

That's all. The question is asked - and indeed it is a very reasonable question to ask - but when asked you can't just ignore a possible answer - at least a possible answer for some. Don't ask the question if the answer is not acceptable - or not acceptable for some or under some constraints.

A politicians answer. Do you really think people see someone in a position of power and think "hold on I better go and get my mask and put it on" Think thats stretching a point regarding politicians even for you

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A politicians answer. Do you really think people see someone in a position of power and think "hold on I better go and get my mask and put it on" Think thats stretching a point regarding politicians even for you
I have absolutely no idea how many might - but neither do you nor does anyone else. I simply posit a possible answer as to why some who choose to not wear a mask make that decision. I make no comment on the rights or wrongs of it. And I will not comment further on this specific question.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Of course I wouldn't - and that is why I make no comment on my view on the rights or wrong of others not wearing a mask in a supermarket. Simply make an observation about why...as that is what was asked.

As it happens yesterday evening I found myself having wandered into a supermarket without putting a mask on - I suddenly twigged and so immediately put a mask on. Funnily enough my daughter and a pal of hers were also in - and they weren't wearing masks - they'd forgotten to bring one and when they saw me they worried that I'd pull them up :) I did and directed then to Customer Service Desk where they could pick one up.

But you make a point about politicians! With all the warnings you’ve had, why do you continually bring it up?

Last edited:

Leftitshort

Visit site
???

Absolutely right, and with the World Health Organisation saying after a review of 10 independent studies into mask wearing:
Personal hygiene measures such as hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette and face masks are widely used as non-pharmaceutical intervention measures to reduce the risk of acquiring or spreading respiratory infections, and for mitigating pandemic influenza. However, our review identified a lack of compelling evidence for the effectiveness of hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette and face masks against influenza transmission in the community.
The health considerations are surely secondary. What’s more important is how superior it makes me feel. It allows me to look down from the rocky outcrop of moral righteousness at all the un educated peasants below. If only I’d taken such a stance before 2020, I could be so far up my own righteous arse, I could see out of my own mouth (if it wasn’t covered with a plastic mask)

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have absolutely no idea how many might - but neither do you nor does anyone else. I simply posit a possible answer as to why some who choose to not wear a mask make that decision. I make no comment on the rights or wrongs of it. And I will not comment further on this specific question.

Sometimes it is wise to put the shovel away !

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
???

Of course this is right. I mean, all the Drs and nurses on Covid wards wearing masks etc are all mistaken and unthinking "sheep"- duped by the manufacturers of these masks ???
Jeez!

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
The health considerations are surely secondary. What’s more important is how superior it makes me feel. It allows me to look down from the rocky outcrop of moral righteousness at all the un educated peasants below. If only I’d taken such a stance before 2020, I could be so far up my own righteous arse, I could see out of my own mouth (if it wasn’t covered with a plastic mask)

You know, that isn't bad grammar for an uneducated peasant.?

YandaB

Visit site
Jeez, Don’t shoot the messenger. ?‍♂️
(if it’s too long for you just skip to page 99)
https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream...IHM-GIP-2019.1-eng.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
Then skip to page 106 to realise what a complete waste of time the whole report is. I guess if you are being paid to do something, you have to show some results even if they are completely meaningless. I wonder if all scientific papers are translated into English, the study relied on doing English language searches and I suspect that there would be better quality studies done on this in the far eastern countries. The conclusion about travel is based on zero scientific studies.

RichA

Visit site
Then skip to page 106 to realise what a complete waste of time the whole report is. I guess if you are being paid to do something, you have to show some results even if they are completely meaningless. I wonder if all scientific papers are translated into English, the study relied on doing English language searches and I suspect that there would be better quality studies done on this in the far eastern countries. The conclusion about travel is based on zero scientific studies.
Plus the article and its research is about flu, not Covid. I think we're still prioritising the Covid pandemic.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Ye gods! This is almost (?) as unreadable as some of Foxy's posts! I thought at first it was Foxy until I realised that there was only about 50% un-necessary punctuation rather that the usual 100%!!! If only they could write in "normal" English :unsure: Still, being brought up in other countries, I suppose they have done quite well to obtain some understanding of the language and it's grammar.

Please, don't bother to nit pick my errors. I only got an O Level :sneaky:

D-S

Visit site
Why keep posting this type of misinformation. Covid isn't Flu and Flu hasn't suddenly gone away. It's probably the way we have protected ourselves from Covid that has kept Flu at lower levels, remove them and we will have to deal with higher flu levels as well as Covid.
Please explain why this is misinformation?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That could be quite a clever post if it's point wasn't inverting it's sarcasm.