Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
So she has kept their deaths per million at 10 (UK is 2,247)
Got rid of assault rifles in a month.
Won her last election with a landslide.

In an act straight out of Big Brother she has also banned smoking, now I’m not a fan of smoking at all. I hate it, but I believe people should be free to choose there vice. What next, Fast food, Alcohol, Coffee or meat?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
We already know your views on Covid restrictions, why are you repeating them ?
I have no problem with someone applying their own attitudes consistenctly to other situations/countries.
Though I believe the differences are such that the NZ and Aus are the right approach - for them!
If anything, I have more of an issue with folk being inconsistent, or those trying to suppress posters!
Oh and those who post twaddle!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
In an act straight out of Big Brother she has also banned smoking, now I’m not a fan of smoking at all. I hate it, but I believe people should be free to choose there vice. What next, Fast food, Alcohol, Coffee or meat?

She hasn't banned smoking.

New Zealand has been a pioneer. It has banned cigarette adverts and smoking in most public places. Now it is going further. On December 9th the government laid out measures “to make New Zealand smokefree”. From 2024 it will reduce the number of shops allowed to sell cigarettes. The following year, it will lower the amount of nicotine permissible in cigarettes. And most far-reaching of all, from 2027 it will make it illegal to sell cigarettes to anybody born after 2008. Such people will never be allowed to buy tobacco legally. Only Bhutan, which bans tobacco for everyone, has a stricter policy.
https://www.economist.com/leaders/2...-smoking-for-the-next-generation-is-misguided

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Some on here would be frothing at the mouth if a foreigner, in another Country, made derogatory comments about our PM.
While others would be lapping it up because they have the same attitudes! But that's allowed in a democracy, in spite of what the likes of the Daily Mail and The Telegraph would prefer!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
To be fair, I’m not sure anyone is saying there is nothing to be concerned about. I’m certainly not.

But equally I do think that Covid is no longer the terrifying disease which first emerged in late 2019/early 2020. A lot has been learned about the virus, how to treat it and, indeed, how to prevent it. And it seems undeniable now that it is no longer as severe as it once was.

There are an awful lot of people, here and elsewhere, who seem to be struggling to keep things in perspective. And I do wonder how much this is to do with the press and media scaremongering, which has been so prevalent throughout the pandemic.

Why is it no longer the terrifying...........etc?

Frankly, for you it clearly isn't, because you've had it -twice, I think?, and found it not too bad. That's good ....for you.

But how have things changed for myself and my wife , in late seventies, who have not had it?
We don't know how we will fare, do we? We could be in the category of those, despite being triple jabbed, who still succumb to it.?

As we don't know we prefer not to try it to find out sooner rather than later

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
To be fair, I’m not sure anyone is saying there is nothing to be concerned about. I’m certainly not.

But equally I do think that Covid is no longer the terrifying disease which first emerged in late 2019/early 2020. A lot has been learned about the virus, how to treat it and, indeed, how to prevent it. And it seems undeniable now that it is no longer as severe as it once was.

There are an awful lot of people, here and elsewhere, who seem to be struggling to keep things in perspective. And I do wonder how much this is to do with the press and media scaremongering, which has been so prevalent throughout the pandemic.
Apparently, you've had Covid twice.
Are you vaccinated?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Why is it no longer the terrifying...........etc?

Frankly, for you it clearly isn't, because you've had it -twice, I think?, and found it not too bad. That's good ....for you.

But how have things changed for myself and my wife , in late seventies, who have not had it?
We don't know how we will fare, do we? We could be in the category of those, despite being triple jabbed, who still succumb to it.?

As we don't know we prefer not to try it to find out sooner rather than later

The biggest change since the spring of 2020 has to be the vaccination programme, which I think even the bigger sceptics agree has lessened the severity of the virus in those who catch it. Add to that a better understanding of how to treat Covid in a hospital environment and the result of mutations, and in general I think most agree that the virus should not terrify us to the extent it did.

I absolutely accept there will be exceptions to that, especially amongst the clinically vulnerable, but I am talking in general terms.

I’m not sure if you saw a quote I posted a few weeks ago from an ICU nurse. In her experience, she said those aged over 60 in ICU with Covid who were fully vaccinated were almost all immunosuppressed. In other words, and again in her experience, if you are over 60, fully vaccinated and with a strong immune system, you are unlikely to find yourself in ICU with Covid. I would hope that gives you the confidence to not be as frightened of the virus as most were when it first struck.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Apparently, you've had Covid twice.
Are you vaccinated?

The first bout was the spring of 2020 when I was asymptomatic and only found out via an antibody test that I had been infected.

Three jabs later I then tested positive again a couple of weeks ago - a bad sore throat and slightly tight chest which lasted three or four days.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well, that would be an excellent idea - if it was true. But it's certainly headed toward a reduction in smoking, a horrible habit that costs thousands of lives every year and untold cost to the economy.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The first bout was the spring of 2020 when I was asymptomatic and only found out via an antibody test that I had been infected.

Three jabs later I then tested positive again a couple of weeks ago - a bad sore throat and slightly tight chest which lasted three or four days.
So 'herd immunity' didn't work for you.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Why take any notice of someone in England, whose feed is also full of conspiracy theories, commenting on another Country?

Some on here would be frothing at the mouth if a foreigner, in another Country, made derogatory comments about our PM.

Not our current PM though! ?

That feed is posted by a nutcase I admit but it was the first one I found that had the quote I was looking for.
I have a whole list of reasons not to like her though for instance her sucking up to the CCP and risking the 5 eyes alliance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56970640

D

Deleted member 16999

Not our current PM though! ?

That feed is posted by a nutcase I admit but it was the first one I found that had the quote I was looking for.
I have a whole list of reasons not to like her though for instance her sucking up to the CCP and risking the 5 eyes alliance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56970640
You must of been fuming over Br…. when we binned all the intelligence sharing with our neighbours.

Got to be honest, unless you are planning to live in NZ I’m not sure why you’d be that bothered by a Country so far away and that has very little impact on us.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
In terms of catching it, it would appear not. In terms of becoming seriously ill? We’ll never know.

But then, of course, you knew the answer before you asked the question, didn’t you?

?
There was no question in the post you quoted!
The only relevant question I asked was in the earlier post...and I didn't know the answer to that - which is why I asked it!
You seem to be suggesting I have an ulterior motive. I don't!

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
As we are now covid isolating we have placed our 1st ever online shopping order. What a weird experience. I think I know my ‘regular path’ through my local Tesco that well, I basically did a VR round through the shop. But it really highlights to me how unhealthy my shopping is. But it should see us through until at least one of us is allowed out again.