Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
My curiosity stems, I suppose, from my assumption that, in the longer term, a combination of a good vaccination programme and immunity built up from community infection gives the best long term protection.

Disregarding how the U.K. and New Zealand have chosen to approach the management of the pandemic, from this point on which population is likely to have the best protection against Covid? I’m genuinely interested.

We don't know. A lot depends on the background previous exposure and immunity and future exposure. People in NZ may have been exposed to a different flavour of coronavirus previously, with more Asian elements. But the way to build it is to get the vax in first, then accept some inevitable community exposure to supplement the immune profile.

Natural immunity, though, is often used by anti-vaxxers to cover either imaginary immunity because their T-cells are good God-fearing T-cells, or as a result of various vitamins and supplements. Quite a few proponents of both aspects have thought twice while in ICU.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really do think locking down for a handful of cases is going to do more harm than good in the long term. The population are building up no natural immunity whatsoever.

Agree. Total over reaction. 14 day isolation if positive and an extra 10 for family members, making 24 even without having it!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I really do think locking down for a handful of cases is going to do more harm than good in the long term. The population are building up no natural immunity whatsoever.
That's not the NZ goal! Because of the geographical situation, they have taken a different approach. Preventing the virus getting into the country in the first place and preventing the spread if/when it does being the top priorities. Check their 'Deaths per Million population' and 'Cases per million population' stats to see how that has been more successful than UK's - who could never have adopted that policy.

Immunity via vaccination works better than risking death to obtain 'natural immunity'!

Btw. Same applies to Australia!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
That's not the NZ goal! Because of the geographical situation, they have taken a different approach. Preventing the virus getting into the country in the first place and preventing the spread if/when it does being the top priorities. Check their 'Deaths per Million population' and 'Cases per million population' stats to see how that has been more successful than UK's - who could never have adopted that policy.

Immunity via vaccination works better than risking death to obtain 'natural immunity'!

Btw. Same applies to Australia!

But I’m still not convinced that they aren’t merely delaying the inevitable. As borders are opened up, and people are allowed to move more freely between countries, then surely countries such as NZ will see an increase in community transmission, in a community with limited exposure thus far.

The layman in me thinks, wrongly no doubt, that is a recipe for trouble.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We don't know. A lot depends on the background previous exposure and immunity and future exposure. People in NZ may have been exposed to a different flavour of coronavirus previously, with more Asian elements. But the way to build it is to get the vax in first, then accept some inevitable community exposure to supplement the immune profile.

Natural immunity, though, is often used by anti-vaxxers to cover either imaginary immunity because their T-cells are good God-fearing T-cells, or as a result of various vitamins and supplements. Quite a few proponents of both aspects have thought twice while in ICU.

So in my case, having had both original jabs, then getting Covid and subsequently having had the booster jab I should be about as protected as I can get right now? <--- with the obvious disclaimer of me receiving any future recommended boosters

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
But I’m still not convinced that they aren’t merely delaying the inevitable. As borders are opened up, and people are allowed to move more freely between countries, then surely countries such as NZ will see an increase in community transmission, in a community with limited exposure thus far.

The layman in me thinks, wrongly no doubt, that is a recipe for trouble.
Adequate/current vaccination is, and will continue to be a requirement of entry to any country. NZ and Aus, because of their 'island' status are in a much better position than UK to enforce that and avoid infection from outside - at borders. Djokovic's folly was an example!

Vaccination is NZ's approach to prevention.

Worth realising that, outside of the lockdowns, NZ activity has been 'as normal' compared to the 2 years or so of restrictions imposed on UK!!

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is clearly not a perfect comparison, but the real difference was not in geography or demography but in [redacted] philosophy and leadership. People here are happy to compare Sweden, so why not NZ. Australia has also done a much better job for similar reasons.

Problem we have is economical. Our economy is heavily reliant on traveling.

NZ and Oz a little different even tho I agree handled better

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Problem we have is economical. Our economy is heavily reliant on traveling.

NZ and Oz a little different even tho I agree handled better
Oh, the one issue I should have mentioned....

Tourism has been a significant to NZ's economy. That has been all but eliminated and won't even begin to recover until April - even then, with major restrictions.

Last edited: