Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Not having covid in the house, but the little one brought chickenpox home.
Probably from school. Going to be a great week of home schooling next to work. At least I can skip out if helping in the warehouse for Black Friday.

Not sure if I should be worried about shingles. Mummy and myself had chickenpox some 40 year ago, but I got my covid jabs and booster early because I might be in a risk group due to e previous kidney/PE issue.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So why use the latest report - significantly after that period - which continues to show a decrease that doesn't look related to half-term! Though, as I alluded to above, later (or even earlier) reports might indicate a (possible) connection.
Picking/choosing incomplete stats/statements or only the stats/statement(s) that support a pre-conceived hypothesis is wrong (tantamount to lying!) imo - though politicians do so frequently!
And FWIW, my comments weren't about longer term trends either!
The part I posted explained that most infections were in secondary school children, the member I was debating with suggested it was wrong to suggest that. I don't understand what you are trying to suggest but I think it's just your normal childish point scoring.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn’t normally take the flu jag but this year I took it. So two days after being vaccinated on Wednesday I started to suffer heavy cold/flu symptoms. Last night and this morning - not good. And guessing that this may be down to being vaccinated when my built up immunity has been compromised by the last 18months.

Will be coincidence as the flu jab isn't live. They tell you that.

Leftitshort

Visit site
The part I posted explained that most infections were in secondary school children, the member I was debating with suggested it was wrong to suggest that. I don't understand what you are trying to suggest but I think it's just your normal childish point scoring.
You completely missed the point, it wasn’t about fact it was about the inference of the interpretation of that fact. It wasn’t about you but the general tone of this thread and elsewhere, where kids are being blamed for propagating a virus.
That’s always been true, with flu, colds, any winter bug. What’s different is the ‘kids are irresponsible’ narrative.
I feel sorry for my kids, they seem to be disproportionately carrying the effects of the last 18 months. Would be even worse if they were older.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A couple of questions for @Ethan. I'm double jabbed and have tested positive this morning. Assuming that the PCR test is also positive will getting the booster increase my protection by much? Or is double jabbed and having protection from being infected a good enough defence? I understand that I can't have the booster for a certain time period after having it. Is that correct?
Stay safe and hope all works out well in the Colch household ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's not 'most infections' though - which you continue to (incorrcty) assert!
Perhaps/probably 'the sector with the largest percentage infections' would be correct, but that's a quite different stat! If you can't understand the difference, then stop trying to support a pov/argument with stats!
It's NOT 'normal childish point scoring' - never is. But correcting factual errors that appear to (over-)support an argument/opinion!
Basically...make sure you get your 'facts' right!

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you have to have your booster to be able to travel abroad?

At the minute I don't think it's a requirement but I assume that at some point being "fully vaccinated" will include having the booster as well. Not sure how it would work at the minute with it only being offered to those over 40. Also, different rules apply to different countries so some might require it and others not.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
At the minute I don't think it's a requirement but I assume that at some point being "fully vaccinated" will include having the booster as well. Not sure how it would work at the minute with it only being offered to those over 40. Also, different rules apply to different countries so some might require it and others not.
Thanks.
If it’s not a requirement I won’t be having it.
But I do need a holiday.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's not 'most infections' though - which you continue to (incorrcty) assert!
Perhaps/probably 'the sector with the largest percentage infections' would be correct, but that's a quite different stat! If you can't understand the difference, then stop trying to support a pov/argument with stats!
It's NOT 'normal childish point scoring' - never is. But correcting factual errors that appear to (over-)support an argument/opinion!
Basically...make sure you get your 'facts' right!
news.png

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
A couple of questions for @Ethan. I'm double jabbed and have tested positive this morning. Assuming that the PCR test is also positive will getting the booster increase my protection by much? Or is double jabbed and having protection from being infected a good enough defence? I understand that I can't have the booster for a certain time period after having it. Is that correct?

The vax should mean that if you get an active infection, it will be less severe than it otherwise would have been. You may not get symptoms, though. If you had a positive LFT then a PCR, you have n active infection, but a positive PCR could identify virus that is just residing within you, but not actively infection you. An active infection will also boost your immune response. Once it is all over and wattled, I would still get the booster. It is correct that you shouldn't get it during an active infection. I can't remember what the blackout period is, but I think you could easily wait a couple of months.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The vax should mean that if you get an active infection, it will be less severe than it otherwise would have been. You may not get symptoms, though. If you had a positive LFT then a PCR, you have n active infection, but a positive PCR could identify virus that is just residing within you, but not actively infection you. An active infection will also boost your immune response. Once it is all over and wattled, I would still get the booster. It is correct that you shouldn't get it during an active infection. I can't remember what the blackout period is, but I think you could easily wait a couple of months.

Thanks. Positive LFT this morning and went for a PCR at 9am. Should get the results back tomorrow. Only got mild cold symptoms at the minute and feeling a bit chesty so it's a big thanks to the vaccine developers from me.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That graph does seem more convincing - at least for return to school for Summer term. I'd like to see the subsequent set of data to see if the trend continues.
However, I can't see anything in the 'Source' that supports that graph - and other stats that show very little change (which challenges the significant rise indicated). Can you? The 'BBC' logo puzzles me...was it 'manufactured'?

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That graph does seem more convincing - at least for return to school for Summer term. I'd like to see the subsequent set of data to see if the trend continues.
However, I can't see anything in the 'Source' that supports that graph. Can you? The 'BBC' logo puzzles me...was it 'manufactured'?
I pulled it of a BBC news article

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I pulled it of a BBC news article
You should name the actual source then!
I hope it was 2021 data!
Btw...Note the update to my prev post.
Update...While searching, I did see a BBC article about significant increases in cases in schools in Harrogate - 771/100K which could well have distorted figures.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You should name the actual source then!
I hope it was 2021 data!
Btw...Note the update to my prev post.
Update...While searching, I did see a BBC article about significant increases in cases in schools in Harrogate - 771/100K which could well have distorted figures.
It was from 1st October 2021. I can't find any more recent data but I'm not aware of any significant change.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58763845

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It was from 1st October 2021. I can't find any more recent data but I'm not aware of any significant change.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58763845
I've looked further on the ONS site and found the attached link that shows infections by age groups that traces through November and there indeed is a significant dip in infection rates. It's not pertinent to the discussion I had with the previous poster though.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...s/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/infections