Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You have put the words in there yourself my friend!
I give up, you are unreasonable and I'm certainly not your friend.

Before I ignore your further rants here's a quote from the ONS site.

"The positivity rate decreased in most age groups in the latest week (ending 13 November 2021). Positivity rates remained highest in secondary school children (school Years 7 to 11) and lowest in adults aged 70 years and over."

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I give up, you are unreasonable and I'm certainly not your friend.

Before I ignore your further rants here's a quote from the ONS site.

"The positivity rate decreased in most age groups in the latest week (ending 13 November 2021). Positivity rates remained highest in secondary school children (school Years 7 to 11) and lowest in adults aged 70 years and over."

And what's your point with that data?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
To be fair to SR I didn’t read his posts as blaming kids, it was just that they (along with probably the seasonality side of things) are one of the drivers of cases at the moment.

In my opinion we’re at that point where I don’t think that lowering the vaccination age is going to have that much affect, I think there will be resistance for going younger due to the health risk/benefit for getting children vaccinated. It is true responsibility for those who are most at risk to come out and get their boosters. That will keep them far safer than getting their grandchild vaccinated.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You seem to be misusing the stats in that report - presumably
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...ruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/19november2021
Here's the first part of the previous paragraph.
'The percentage of people testing positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) decreased for those in school Year 7 to school Year 11,'...
In fact, the graphs included in that report (immediatly after the sentence you quotd) show they have decreased pretty dramatically from a blip in mid Oct (going from 8 to 9%) decreasing consistently to the 3.6% (still/just the highest %age of the groups) in the 23/11 stats.
So while positivity rates are, understandably imo, highest for that group, the number of actual cases is reducing - which would seem to clash with your assertion that it was rising because of 'return to school' - unless of course there are school hols I'm unaware of around/just before that (early/mid Oct) date. Half Term (25-29 Oct) might have affected infections/data, but the trend is petty consistent through Nov.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You seem to be misusing the stats in that report - presumably
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...ruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/19november2021
Here's the first part of the previous paragraph.
'The percentage of people testing positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) decreased for those in school Year 7 to school Year 11,'...
In fact, the graphs included in that report show they have decreased pretty dramatically from a blip in mid Oct (going from 8 to 9%) decreasing consistently to the 3.6% (still/just the highest %age of the groups) in the 23/11 stats.
So while positivity rates are, understandably imo, highest for that group, the number of actual cases is reducing - which would seem to clash with your assertion that it was rising because of 'return to school' - unless of course there are school hols I'm unaware of around/just before that (early/mid Oct) date.
I'm refering to the period around the last half term. The rates dipped then rose again and I had a discussion with a member regarding this and questioned whether the holiday was a contributing factor. The posts in the last few days are from someone raising it again and suggesting it was a witch hunt against kids, which is ridiculous.

Your comment also misses the point, it wasn't about any longer term trends.

The discussion has now become completely out of context so I'm out of it.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I spoke to my mum on the phone yesterday and said I felt like I was getting a cold. I've been testing myself daily since my younger son tested positive on Tuesday. This morning I had a positive LFT so have been for a PCR test. At the minute it just feels like a mild cold so fingers crossed it stays that way.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Haven't read all the to and fro above, but it seems to me that there are certain indisputable facts.

One is that children (as the predominant group of unvaccinated) are, and have been for a bit, a major reservoir of infection. That seems simple enough, the virus propagates better in unvaccinated people, and doesn't know or care how young or old the host is. Nobody blames kids for this.

Second, children have to go to school, and therefore are exposed to a higher potential of transmission. Nobody blames kids for that either.

Third, children then go home to places with adults and visiting grandparents, so transmission to those people if vaccinated or unable to mount an effective immunity. See above.

Thus, focusing prevention efforts on children is reasonable and rational, and does not demonise them or consider them culpable.

FWIW, I have two boys, now aged 14 and (just) 12. Lockdown was a bit of a pain for them, but appears not to have done any lasting harm. The older one is at a school which is quite tech-savvy, so doing a lot of stuff on his iPad was not a major departure for him, and he took up a couple of side interests while WFH. The younger was at primary during the main lockdown, and is now at the same secondary as his big bro. His primary was not as nearly well tuned in as his brothers secondary, so did not provide great lockdown teaching, but we got him reading lots of books and he is doing very well at secondary now.

Both were eligible for a vax, the younger one only in the last couple of weeks, and we offered them the chance to choose freely for themselves, and they both opted for it.

In my reading of the benefits and risks of vaccination in children, my view is that the benefit-risk still strongly supports vaccination. The JCVI did the issue a disservice by choosing to take a much narrower view of the question (personal benefit-risk only) than they did for previous strategies (e.g. HPV vax in boys to benefit women in later life). The benefit, is in reducing the risk of getting Covid, and the rare but potentially very damaging effects, versus the risk of vaccination. The initial reports of myocarditis caused by the mRNAs is, to me, a small risk. The prevalence is low and the myocarditis is usually mild. Myocarditis acquired in the community ("wild-type") is usually worse. I have personal experience of this, having had it about 10 years ago and thinking I was going to kick it. I am also concerned about some of the longer term effects of Covid, even in asymptomatic kids, as it is a nasty virus with broad inflammatory effects which can cause subclinical organ damage.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Read the thread. Have a look at what has been written. This is clearly a view shared by some out there, most in here. If you don’t see it then I’d have to question your objectivity.

No one is disputing close contact leads to infections but the whole narrative of irresponsible kids is really tedious. It may not have been your intention but the inference in yours & others posts is clear. If you don’t see that, change your prescription

Why is it, some kids are irresponsible as are some adults. Some Kids are responsible as are some adults. we have the grandkids for the next four days, in that time they are going to football, swimming, football. Mixing with kids from other schools. Close contact. That don’t mean they are irresponsible, they are doing it under a controlled manner. But there is still the chance they could catch and spread the virus.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I decided not to invigilate in year 11 mocks next week - 200 in a Sports Hall just felt too risky. Interesting communication though from Exams Officer...the school has around 2000 pupils and I know inviglators are in shorter supply than normal.

There are very, very few cases of COVID that have been reported in school and obviously these people are away isolating so not here at all. There have been no outbreaks here.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm refering to the period around the last half term...
So why use the latest report - significantly after that period - which continues to show a decrease that doesn't look related to half-term! Though, as I alluded to above, later (or even earlier) reports might indicate a (possible) connection.
Picking/choosing incomplete stats/statements or only the stats/statement(s) that support a pre-conceived hypothesis is wrong (tantamount to lying!) imo - though politicians do so frequently!
And FWIW, my comments weren't about longer term trends either!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I decided not to invigilate in year 11 mocks next week - 200 in a Sports Hall just felt too risky. Interesting communication though from Exams Officer...the school has around 2000 pupils and I know inviglators are in shorter supply than normal.

There are very, very few cases of COVID that have been reported in school and obviously these people are away isolating so not here at all. There have been no outbreaks here.
Given (or is it an assumption on my part) that no/very few school age kids have been vaccinated, I'm very surprised at the low rates of infection. It seems that whatever 'precautions' have been taken have been very effective - unlike what I have seen in workplace environments in the past!

I can certainly understand your hesitation though.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldn’t normally take the flu jag but this year I took it. So two days after being vaccinated on Wednesday I started to suffer heavy cold/flu symptoms. Last night and this morning - not good. And guessing that this may be down to being vaccinated when my built up immunity has been compromised by the last 18months.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A couple of questions for @Ethan. I'm double jabbed and have tested positive this morning. Assuming that the PCR test is also positive will getting the booster increase my protection by much? Or is double jabbed and having protection from being infected a good enough defence? I understand that I can't have the booster for a certain time period after having it. Is that correct?