Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have you noticed that the days are also getting shorter? That means Winter is on its way/here. And infections have risen every Autumn/Winter. The observation of rise of infections at schools is, to me, merely a reflection of the above. Though that's certainly no reason for schools to be complacent - quite the opposite in fact.
Please don't be so patronising, its completely unnecessary.

Are you suggesting the recent short drop then increase in infection rates are not connected to school holidays, I think there is a connection but agree it's not the sole reason.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why can't you provide that (90% of your income) service from home - or an alternative office (if security is a major concern)? Surely telephone and comms are sufficient these days. They were 'tolerable' for me and the company I was contracting for when inclement weather caused this to happen once in the early '90s.

Surely that depends on the type of work and is not applicable across the board. If, say, it was doing sound performance work in a nightclub (just for example) I'm not sure you could do that either from another nightclub or from home regardless how good communications tools are.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Why can't you provide that (90% of your income) service from home - or an alternative office (if security is a major concern)? Surely telephone and comms are sufficient these days. They were 'tolerable' for me and the company I was contracting for when inclement weather caused this to happen once in the early '90s.
Can’t be done, the 90% can only be delivered in the workplace.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely that depends on the type of work and is not applicable across the board. If, say, it was doing sound performance work in a nightclub (just for example) I'm not sure you could do that either from another nightclub or from home regardless how good communications tools are.
Or if, for example, you were the promotion company rep at venues and had to be at the venues to do all the venue checks and arrangements with venue management and artists. But this is not the actual context I was thinking of, though the issue applies.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I know the sort of work SILH does - having been in that business myself, though not for the same sort of clients. As I stated, in the early '90s weather precluded my actual attendance at my designated place of work, but I was able to continue for the week or so necessary to clear the way to return - and that was using fairly rudimentary (if effective) document/text delivery method (Philips Maestro).
But, as I thought/believe, the security issues of SILH's role prevents 'home' working.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know the sort of work SILH does - having been in that business myself, though not for the same sort of clients. As I stated, in the early '90s weather precluded my actual attendance at my designated place of work, but I was able to continue for the week or so necessary to clear the way to return - and that was using fairly rudimentary (if effective) document/text delivery method (Philips Maestro).
But, as I thought/believe, the security issues of SILH's role prevents 'home' working.

I think you may find SILH retired recently and it’s actually his son that is being referenced.

Of course, I could be wrong but fairly sure he retired earlier this year

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I somehow also can’t imagine SILH being in a ZHC…
I’m definitely retired but might be a ZHC as I haven’t a scoobie what one is. He’s also a nightclub DJ - which maybe what you mean.

As it happens my question was not actually about my lad‘s work - though he does face the same issue. His (and our) biggest worry for him is not that, but more that infections and hospital inpatients regularly hit numbers that result in venues being closed down.

But put that aside - the ‘being sent home and losing 90% of income due to a customer testing positive‘ is the question I’m seeking guidance on.

Leftitshort

Visit site
Please don't be so patronising, its completely unnecessary.

Are you suggesting the recent short drop then increase in infection rates are not connected to school holidays, I think there is a connection but agree it's not the sole reason.
This whole demonising of kids is getting really boring. Rates are up….kids are to blame

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This whole demonising of kids is getting really boring. Rates are up….kids are to blame
Demonising! What on earth are you talking about ! It's a known fact that a large amount of the virus has been circulating in young people and especially school children. No one has 'blamed them' but burying our heads in the sand to the reality is more than boring, it's unbelievable.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I don't see it as demonising kids. Schools go back and 30 kids are put in a classroom together for several hours each day. If one of them has it then the chances are that it will be passed on to some of those around them. It's not the fault of the kids but the fact that they are put in close contact situations whereby virus spread is almost guaranteed. The only alternative is closing the schools and going back to home schooling which isn't a reasonable solution. Fortunately it seems that 99.9% of kids only have a very mild illness and once they have completed their isolation can return to school.

Leftitshort

Visit site
Demonising! What on earth are you talking about ! It's a known fact that a large amount of the virus has been circulating in young people and especially school children. No one has 'blamed them' but burying our heads in the sand to the reality is more than boring, it's unbelievable.
The reality of what? All I know is that kids have been blamed for killing grandma for 2 years now. It’s awful.

Leftitshort

Visit site
I don't see it as demonising kids. Schools go back and 30 kids are put in a classroom together for several hours each day. If one of them has it then the chances are that it will be passed on to some of those around them. It's not the fault of the kids but the fact that they are put in close contact situations whereby virus spread is almost guaranteed. The only alternative is closing the schools and going back to home schooling which isn't a reasonable solution. Fortunately it seems that 99.9% of kids only have a very mild illness and once they have completed their isolation can return to school.
Thanks for your rational response. Think of what school age kids have gone through in the last 2 years. Education ruined, blamed for the 3/4/5 wave *delete as appropriate. pressured into getting a vaccination which, statistically could jeopardise their health. How long does this go on for?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The reality of what? All I know is that kids have been blamed for killing grandma for 2 years now. It’s awful.
Where did I say that! The reality is that schools are the perfect environment to spread Covid and the sheer close contact of numbers that has to take place there makes it so. Please try reading and digesting what people post before going off on a rant.

Leftitshort

Visit site
Where did I say that! The reality is that schools are the perfect environment to spread Covid and the sheer close contact of numbers that has to take place there makes it so. Please try reading and digesting what people post before going off on a rant.
Not a rant. Just the vocalising the current narrative. Read this thread. I will paraphrase. Young people = bad, don’t care, irresponsible. Rates increase because of school age children…..going to school.
How do you think it plays out with school ages kids?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for your rational response. Think of what school age kids have gone through in the last 2 years. Education ruined, blamed for the 3/4/5 wave *delete as appropriate. pressured into getting a vaccination which, statistically could jeopardise their health. How long does this go on for?

I've got two kids, aged 10 and 12, so I know what they've been through. Home schooling was a complete bitch and I wouldn't want them put through that again. My younger boy tested positive on Tuesday this week so I've had both of them at home with me as the older boy's school wouldn't let him attend as a close contact until he'd had a negative PCR test. Thankfully the rest of the household have all tested negative so far. It's entirely possible that the kids were "responsible" for whatever wave number you wish to choose but that doesn't mean that they are "to blame" for it. There's a big difference between being responsible for and being to blame for. When you have that many kids in close contact every day then it's inevitable that the virus will spread between them. But that is equally true if you did the same with people in their 40's, 50's or 60's. If you put a group of 30 pensioners together every day for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week, then it's almost certain that they would be responsible for an increase in numbers.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not a rant. Just the vocalising the current narrative. Read this thread. I will paraphrase. Young people = bad, don’t care, irresponsible. Rates increase because of school age children…..going to school.
How do you think it plays out with school ages kids?
There is no doubt that the majority of infections recently have been in young people and schools are the ideal environment for this to propagate. Are you disagreeing with this?

You seem unable to accept this as a fact without appending various accusations relating to young people that I'm not making. I suggest that if you want to make these accusations you use them in the correct context where someone is actually stating them. I'm certainly not laying blame but stating facts. Please get it right!

Leftitshort

Visit site
There is no doubt that the majority of infections recently have been in young people and schools are the ideal environment for this to propagate. Are you disagreeing with this?

You seem unable to accept this as a fact without appending various accusations relating to young people that I'm not making. I suggest that if you want to make these accusations you use them in the correct context where someone is actually stating them. I'm certainly not laying blame but stating facts. Please get it right!
Read the thread. Have a look at what has been written. This is clearly a view shared by some out there, most in here. If you don’t see it then I’d have to question your objectivity.

No one is disputing close contact leads to infections but the whole narrative of irresponsible kids is really tedious. It may not have been your intention but the inference in yours & others posts is clear. If you don’t see that, change your prescription

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Read the thread. Have a look at what has been written. This is clearly a view shared by some out there, most in here. If you don’t see it then I’d have to question your objectivity.

No one is disputing close contact leads to infections but the whole narrative of irresponsible kids is really tedious. It may not have been your intention but the inference in yours & others posts is clear. If you don’t see that, change your prescription
No, you change yours, you are putting words in my mouth. By your posts have shown you are not prepared to listen and only want to promote your biased agenda. I'm not buying it, if you can point out where you think I'm 'Blaming kids' in this conversation then please show it or drop the false accusations.

Leftitshort

Visit site
No, you change yours, you are putting words in my mouth. By your posts have shown you are not prepared to listen and only want to promote your biased agenda. I'm not buying it, if you can point out where you think I'm 'Blaming kids' in this conversation then please show it or drop the false accusations.
You have put the words in there yourself my friend!